Why does Bacara (12-Inch) cost more than Bly, Cody and Gree??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncanny Web-Slinger

Super Freak
Reaction score
Commander Bacara 12-inch is listed as $134.99

Cody comes with two helmets, a headsculpt and a jetpack and costs $124.99

Bly comes with two helmets and a headsculpt and costs $124.99

Gree comes with one helmet and a headsculpt and costs $124.99

Bacara comes with one helmet only and costs $134.99

Why???

Keep in mind that even though the other figures are awesome, they are still in-stock, probably for financial reasons of collectors, so how can this figure be rationlised in a business sense to cost more and expect to sell when figures that come with more & cost less are still in-stock?

a couch usually costs more than a matching chair, but not by much. all of the same design elements and labor are required by each, one just happens to be a little longer.

Bacara's helmet and chest rig required new design elements that may not be useable for future clones such as Rex's jetpack. mix this with the cost of fuel, promotion, heat for the factories, rental space increases, employee wage increases, bonuses and it should be no surprise that more money is required. everything goes up, including the R&D that continuously elevates the quality of the product. one without the other, especially in this economy, would result in something worse than a few dollar increase…

It's because they know that people will spend the money either way.

a couch usually costs more than a matching chair, but not by much. all of the same design elements and labor are required by each, one just happens to be a little longer.

Bacara's helmet and chest rig required new design elements that may not be useable for future clones such as Rex's jetpack. mix this with the cost of fuel, promotion, heat for the factories, rental space increases, employee wage increases, bonuses and it should be no surprise that more money is required. everything goes up, including the R&D that continuously elevates the quality of the product. one without the other, especially in this economy, would result in something worse than a few dollar increase…

But the rest @ $124.99 are still unsold, meaning an increase in price for this guy would drive people away, if they can't muster up that how will they muster up $10 more for this guy.

Not to mention production being cheaper as there is no Phase 1 bucket or detailed head sculpt, and the only unique pieces on this figure are the helmet (which they can re-use for Glactic Marines) shoulder pad and that bit of fabric on the chest.

I can't see any justification for this going up in price, especially since it comes with less and should therefore cost less :dunno

Last edited:
Why are you okay with spending $125 for a doll, but not okay with spending 10 extra bucks?

the world keeps moving people. each and everyone one of us that contributes to society are feeling the demands of the economy... this simply falls in line.

asking why something costs more tomorrow than it did yesterday is a naive state to exist in these days.

the world keeps moving people. each and everyone one of us that contributes to society are feeling the demands of the economy... this simply falls in line.

asking why something costs more tomorrow than it did yesterday is a naive state to exist in these days.

Not to start a flame war, but automaton, I don't think you understand Nova's question, or at least, not in the same context I do. The main question I get from his post is why would Sideshow raise the price on a figure that A.) is still using 90% of the same parts as the other clones, B.) comes with less than other clones, and C.) is a much less desirable character than the other commanders when all those other clone commanders are still available. Truthfully, it makes no economical or "business" sense. Why would anyone buy Bacara when they can have one of those other figures with more accessories for less money? Yes, yes, some of the Star Wars fans out there "have to collect them all." But those types of fans are limited and decreasing every day the economy sinks lower. Truthfully, I think Sideshow has overestimated us Star Wars nerds. Sure, fans will buy 10 different Hasbro clone figures for 7 dollars a pop. But for 135 a piece? That's when most people get a LOT more picky.

Example of this logic: Company X manufactures 4 varieties of Product Z. None of those 4 varieties are selling very well. So, the product manager suggest they create a 5th version by changing the label slightly, removing 20 percent of the product, and raising the cost. Would that guy still have a job the next day? I would hope not.

If they expect that fewer people are going to buy it, and they already know how many people bought the others, it would make sense to raise the price to cover similar production costs (which for all we know, may well have risen). Further, every item they poduce, they do so with a projected profit margin in mind. If they determine that the only surefire way to hit that mark is to raise the price, they're not going to bother making the figure otherwise.

Most customers are already committed to the clone commander line up, Sideshow knows this. They know you will buy it regardless so why not raise the price? *insert hand grabbing balls .gif here*

Most customers are already committed to the clone commander line up, Sideshow knows this. They know you will buy it regardless so why not raise the price? *insert hand grabbing balls .gif here*

This man is corrrect.

Why try to sell 3500 for $125 when you can sell 3200 for $135 and come out about the same.

Just curious did you see a 8% raise this year? The reason to increase the price is not for reasons that fall into "society demands" which I think you mean as increased production costs.

If you blindly accept that prices increase based on inflation yet your paycheck doesn't see that inflation, you would be naive not to question it AND reevaluate your buying habits.

The real reason for increasing the price is the knowledge or belief that people will pay it. I don't believe for one second that the product would not be made if SSC didn't charge the $10 more. They would find ways to cut their costs and reset the price to one people would pay.

As consumers you have to constantly evaluate "value".

Last edited:
Decreasing currency value means that a company will need to increase their profit margin at a greater pace than they initially projected.

Decreasing currency value means that a company will need to increase their profit margin at a greater pace than they initially projected.

Yeah because God forbid Sideshow will "only" make 300% profit if they dont increase the price, instead of the normal 350%

Just curious did you see a 8% raise this year? The reason to increase the price is not for reasons that fall into "society demands" which I think you mean as increased production costs.

If you blindly accept that prices increase based on inflation yet your paycheck doesn't see that inflation, you would be naive not to question it AND reevaluate your buying habits.

The real reason for increasing the price is the knowledge or belief that people will pay it. I don't believe for one second that the product would not be made if SSC didn't charge the $10 more. They would find ways to cut their costs and reset the price to one people would pay.

As consumers you have to constantly evaluate "value".

what is a raise???

Back