Who should make 12" Matrix figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who should make 12" Matrix figures?

• Hot Toys

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • Medicom

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Sideshow

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Not interested in Matrix figures

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters
dekadentdave said:
2 and 3 didn't work, that's the point. All that long-winded stuff in Matrix 1 they completely neglected and missed the entire point they were trying to make. The Wachowski's sold out.

What are you talking about? If anything the Wachowski's made 2 and 3 too personal.

They took the philosophy of the first film and threw it completely out the window and turned the sequels into mediocre run-of-the-mill sci-fi. All of the philosophical substance of the first film was ignored. I could care less what's happening in the real-world, I wanted to see what was happening in the Matrix, not watch some derivative rip-off of the Terminator.

I liken The Matrix 2 & 3 to the Star Wars prequel trilogy. With the success of the original, they were able to make exactly the movies they wanted, whether the audience liked it, got it, or not.

And in terms of similarities with the original, they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

Loved all 3 and voted for Hot Toys, already got the Medicom Neo!!

P2270426.jpg

I'm a real fan of Matrix 1. Absolutely love that movie. It does have its slow parts but I don't mind.

But I just didn't get the same rush from 2 and 3. Because of the long set-up in 2, I just lost interest by the time it took off in the second half. The chateau fight and the freeway chase were awesome, as was the Architect. But it wasn't a well-balanced movie. That said, I enjoyed 2 much more than 3. In fact, I can't even remember most of 3, except Smith and Neo flying around in the clouds. I think I understand the symbolism, but its fairly childish to me. Obvious. And the themes that brought extra depth were done in a way that seem tongue-tied and purposely convoluted, in particular with that French dude (I can't remember how to spell Merovin-whatever).

This is just one man's opinion. :D

Wor-Gar said:
This is just one man's opinion. :D

Mutually shared. Matrix Revolutions was awful. It's like watching an episode of Deep Space 9. The Zion bull**** was so lame. Oh, they ripped off the Aliens Power Loader too with those mechs gunning down those Sentinels.

Outlander said:
I liken The Matrix 2 & 3 to the Star Wars prequel trilogy. With the success of the original, they were able to make exactly the movies they wanted, whether the audience liked it, got it, or not.

And in terms of similarities with the original, they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

I totally agree. I won't go into here, but the two sequels are products of some of the real life, um, "changes" the brothers were going through at the time. The sequels were indulgent, maybe. It's okay for movies to be indulgent, especially over the top sci-fi action films.

gdb said:
I totally agree. I won't go into here, but the two sequels are products of some of the real life, um, "changes" the brothers were going through at the time. The sequels were indulgent, maybe. It's okay for movies to be indulgent, especially over the top sci-fi action films.

Yeah Larry was busy turning himself into Laura. :lol

dekadentdave said:
Yeah Larry was busy turning himself into Laura. :lol

It looks like you're making a sophmoric homophobic joke, but, gosh, you're actually right on about that. :D

I saw a screening of "Reloaded" at the Warner's Lot with a couple buddies (One a Writer, the other a Trade Journalist)

When we left we redubbed it "Maalox Re-bloated". Did nothing for any of us. Just an excuse for making money, too long, an exhaustive exercise in Sequel-itis IMO.

Wor-Gar said:
In fact, I can't even remember most of 3, except Smith and Neo flying around in the clouds.
It was the final confrontation that carried the whole movie for me. The concept of a viral Smith taking over the Matrix, and the Superman-like fight to the death, blew me away!
The attack on Zion was pretty full-on too.

Outlander said:
It was the final confrontation that carried the whole movie for me. The concept of a viral Smith taking over the Matrix, and the Superman-like fight to the death, blew me away!
The attack on Zion was pretty full-on too.

I liked the concept of a viral Smith when I first saw the trailer... but its realization left me flat. I realized during the movie that the threat was actually weakened because there was no end to Smith, no limitation, no weakness, no chance the hero could get in a good punch so you could cheer. Plus, there was suddenly no central villain to love to hate. Just one Smith after another. I got more of a chill from the Architect.

The "Superman" fight actually made me laugh. Clash of the Titans. Good and Evil. Angel and Devil. Ying and Yang. Yada-yada-yada. It just seemed silly to me. Again, it sounded good on paper.

But hey, enough bashing. I do like THE MATRIX world. And I'd love a set of quality figures. But please have Smith in his green Matrix suit, not the black one from his freedom "upgrade".

The main problem I had is that they spent the original film and Reloaded{/i} creating a very rich, wide open setting, then totally closed it down with the Smith-virus takeover in Revolutions. I would have much preferred that the final film end on an open note like the first one did.

Oh well.

In any case, I'm very ready for a round of high-quality figures of the movie's principles; I'm on the verge of trying to kitbash them together as customs since it seems a little unlikely that anyone will pick up the gauntlet at this point. Neo, Trinity and Morpheus would make amazing 1:6 figures done fully.

Last edited:
pjam said:
When we left we redubbed it "Maalox Re-bloated". Did nothing for any of us. Just an excuse for making money, too long, an exhaustive exercise in Sequel-itis IMO.

More like "Matrix: Retarded"

Going Medicom for this. 1- Better face sculpts than HT (not that HT is bad, they rock, but I think Medi nails it better) and 2- The outfits/costumes look more like something Medicom would do better, I know without a lot of debate that sounds weird, but if you get it you do, if not than bite it. But I just think this would be something better for Medi. That's all.

all this talking about them has made me wanna watch them again. I loved the combination of kung-fu and sci-fi. The Matrix (1) was a breath of fresh air at the time, but yes, 2 and 3 did over do it a bit. But... they still had some of the coolest scenes/fights/music ever... and for that I want to watch them again, lol

and yeah.. I'd love some good quality figures

I can jjust never afford any Hot Toys stuff... too damn expensive (but oh so good)

You said it Darren! I love the whole trilogy for its melding of cyberpunk, kung fu, comic book culture, religious iconography and existentialism. There ain't many franchises you can say that about!

Plus the nagging feeling that the Wachowskis know something (a lot of things?) I don't...

Well here's a receipe for an Agent Smith. I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive:

Agent Smith Kit
https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAP...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=260083071186&rd=1&rd=1
hank1.jpg

Hugo Weaving Head
https://cgi.ebay.com.au/HANK-1-6-Sc...ryZ27294QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
e1c4_1_b.JPG

Just add the Medicom RAH501 or the new Hot Toys body and you have Agent Smith.

The only other item required is a Desert Eagle .50 in black (only for a Matrix version - I don't believe he used the gun in Reloaded or Revolutions).

Back