Which way do I go? Weta or SS PF?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which line should I go for??

• Weta - The original!!

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Sideshow PFs - The upstart rival!

Votes: 42 65.6%

• Total voters

ComputerFly

Super Freak
Reaction score
Alright guys and gals, I need some opinions from you HARDCORE Ringers.

With the release of the Berserker PF, Sideshow is making the PF line hard to resist.

With that said, I have almost all of the 'baddies' from the Weta line already, as well as the PFs of Moria Orc, Lurtz, Frodo, Aragorn and Berserker. (I only collect the villains).

My question is: Assuming Sideshow continues to make fantastic PFs for the rest of the line, and you were forced to go one path or the other, would you keep your original Weta pieces, or sell them and go completely PFs? Mix and match is not an option.

I love both, and even though the detail is better on the PFs, I still feel a strong attachment to the original Weta pieces. I'm not a big enough fan of ANY movie to collect duplicates of the same character, so I need to make a choice.

I added a poll, but I would really like to see posts from the long time Ringers.

If sideshow continues their path of awesome statues I think it would be tough not to keep them. I would however keep the cave troll, balrog, RWOS, WITW or Stone Trolls. If and that is a big if sideshow would release any of those (aside from a ringwraith PF) I have a tough time believing it would be anytime soon.

With Aragorn being pretty well done and legolas looking like a home run the LOTR PF line is looking better and better since frodo and GTW. :ogat:orthanc:nazgul:orc:balrog

I really like the weta pieces also, but have already sold off most of them and will only be collection the sideshow PF line. I think they are doing an amazing job with the PF line and if they keep turning out as great as the Berserker then I won't regret selling off the weta statues too much...:monkey2

Hope you are kidding about thinking about Weta...theres not even a choice to make Fly..I would be ashame to display those Weta pieces with very bad likeness.Those statues didnt age well.Sideshow all the way.

So, you guys, what happens when the Hobbit movie hits...do you think Sideshow will just keep plugging along with the OT pieces, or do you think they will move the resources doing the PFs over to the 'hot' Hobbit pieces? We're only getting 2 PFs a year as it is, it could literally kill the LotR PF line.

Shai, I understand where you're coming from. I don't care for a lot of the Weta pieces, mostly the 'heroes', but Weta made a fantastic Balrog, Witch-king, RWoS, Morgul Lord, Cave Troll, etc. Displaying those great pieces surrounded by a bunch of PFs that are going to just tower over them is a bit of a displayability problem for me.

It's a tough call. What's really going to make it even harder is if they release a really great Gollum/Smeagol PF. I've never really cared for the Weta versions so a great PF is a must own of this most memorable character for me. :banghead:banghead

Weta without question, there is little doubt that the SS PF line won't ever be as extensive as the Weta pieces are; likeness or not (which I'd admit some leave quite a bit to be hoped for). Then again, I'm a mix and matcher.

Not only that, but Weta is a shoe-in for The Hobbit license and their recent announcement of revisting "characters from Middle Earth. I do however prefer the 1/4 scale.

Both! :gun

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>Hope you are kidding about thinking about Weta...theres not even a choice to make Fly..I would be ashame to display those Weta pieces with very bad likeness.Those statues didnt age well.Sideshow all the way.

I'd have to say go with the SS as well...

I never liked the PF´s made by Sideshow, so Weta would be my choice. Not every Weta piece is good or even decent, but some are just awesome.

WETA started it all and were key in creating the look of the characters so they will always be the pieces to have. Yes, some of them are a bit dodgy but production has come on leaps and bounds over the years which lets newer stuff make them look a bit off.

SS have produced some excellent figures in PF but also had some issues with likeness i.e. Gandalf the White, Galadriel, Frodo. I am O.K with them though and purchased each release up to now, though from the sound of future releases I will be less inclined to continue 'completing' the line.

If I had more I would keep the WETA pieces over the PF's as Sideshow have severely took the shine off collecting the PF's by not supporting the Fellowship in PF form. As it is I am going for the WETA pieces more than anticipating another PF and I imagine that the WETA line will always be more desirable in the long run as they are a compact size, well made and original. That and the fact that WETA are coming back to Middle Earth which they created (on screen of course!)

You don`t need to follow all the line from Weta , just try to get Sauron ,Morgul Lord , Saruman , Gandalf the White on Shadowfax ,Legolas & Gimli on Arod , and then buy all the Orcs & Uruks in P.F. form ! Just a thought mate ...

It was SS that brought the LOTR licence back from the dead in 2005 after Weta had abruptly walked away from it, leaving us all hanging. So my allegiance will always be with SS. Seeing what a fantastic job SS is doing with the PF line as of late that decision is all the easier to make.

select what you like the most from each line and collect them both.

the better collections are the diverse ones IMO... :monkey1

select what you like the most from each line and collect them both.

the better collections are the diverse ones IMO... :monkey1
:lecture :lecture

Just buy what you like from whichever manufacturer, it doesn't have to be completely either/or. Imo anyway
x :peace

Yep, I'd go with option C as well... pick and choose your favorites. Some characters/creatures will never see the PF treatment (either due to size or popularity) and having a bit of diversity is great for collections.

I would never sell all my Weta items. Ok, some of the human sculpts can be off, but the creatures are awesome! How can you not want to own statues made by the people who designed them for the film?
None of the PF's have appealed to me. Just not a PF person. Statues only for me.

It was SS that brought the LOTR licence back from the dead in 2005 after Weta had abruptly walked away from it, leaving us all hanging. So my allegiance will always be with SS. Seeing what a fantastic job SS is doing with the PF line as of late that decision is all the easier to make.

Really? Can you confirm this? Weta have said themselves that they DID NOT want to end it. They won't go into details, but they've said that ever since the split they've wanted to go back to it. They also said it's rubbish that they got tired of the line, and many more statues (Eomer, Faramir etc...) was on their to do list. For proof you just need to go to the shadow and flame ;)

Daniel_Falconer said:
I don't think anyone was sadder when the line came to an end than I was. I was heavily emotionally invested both because I loved what we were producing and because of the friendships I had built. There were reasons for the decision to end that business relationship that I am not qualified to speak about, nor would it really be appropriate of me to do so, but I will say it was certainly not because there was any boredom or fatigue from us in terms of our love for the property. I've read that explanation quoted on message boads from time to time in discussions and can assure you it was never the case. I think we were really only just beginning to hit our stride, creatively speaking. We've been wanting to get back ever since and the announcement that preceded Comic Con was something we have wanted to be able to make for a long time. We just had to find a viable way back to LOTR again. It is my sincere hope that the few things we've mentioned and shown so far are just the beginning. Middle-earth has been part of Weta's DNA for a decade now so we see our ongoing involvement in that world being long lasting.

I'm still buddies with the guys over at SS and, while I haven't had the chance to see any of them lately, I always try to hook up with them if I'm in LA. I really enjoyed working with Brant, Heath, Tom, Mark and all the gang there back in the day and continue to admire their work.

https://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1183459#post1183459

Back