Which way do I go? Weta or SS PF?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which line should I go for??

• Weta - The original!!

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Sideshow PFs - The upstart rival!

Votes: 42 65.6%

• Total voters
imo, even the Sideshow LSB, both human and creatures, surpases the WETA line.

The LSB line is horrible. I collected both Weta and the PF's, I like the Weta pieces better. The PF's are too big, and the line will never have as many characters as the Weta line. Plus I imagine Weta will make some new polystone for the Hobbit.

The LSB line is horrible. I collected both Weta and the PF's, I like the Weta pieces better. The PF's are too big, and the line will never have as many characters as the Weta line. Plus I imagine Weta will make some new polystone for the Hobbit.

This man is wrong IMO.

I collect both so thats my answer :)

Both lines have there ups and downs,so why not collect all the "ups" ?,it works for me and displaying isnt really an issue imo

biased, not me. I have some weta busts, both humans and creatures, and have seen the LSBs at comic con.

:lecture

To be honest, as we're on a Sideshow board, you might get a bit of a biased opinion :D

That will never stop the random speculation and rumor, and of course many of us remember how bad it was when the end of the line was still fresh. :horror

Some collectors hold onto pitchforks. :dunno

Dont see why you have to go one way or the other.With both having quality pieces just collect the best of both and clear out the rest.

Really? Can you confirm this? Weta have said themselves that they DID NOT want to end it. They won't go into details, but they've said that ever since the split they've wanted to go back to it. They also said it's rubbish that they got tired of the line, and many more statues (Eomer, Faramir etc...) was on their to do list. For proof you just need to go to the shadow and flame ;)

I can't confirm by naming names, as I was asked not to, but I trust my source completely. I would ask however, where has Weta been for the last 5 years? Don't get my wrong, I am glad they're back and I will certain be adding some of their products to my collection, but I am having a very hard time believing it's taken them almost 5 years to get back into a line they did not want to end. Esp. since SS was up and running less than a year after the split. I suspect their renewed interest has much more to do with re-establishing themselves prior to the launch of their Hobbit lines, plus the fact LOTR is a sure-fire money winner for them....something that can't be said about the majority of their licences since LOTR ended.

I've got plenty of both and would have to say SS's LSB's are for the most part superior to Weta's. The addition of arms, and weapons, give the LSB's a dynamic feel that Weta simply cannot compete with. I much prefer the likenesses of the LSB's as well.

However, I too would have gone with a third option if it had been present with this poll, adding the best of both SS and Weta to my collection. :D

I think we should all remember how different statue quality as a whole is today as opposed to 4-5 years ago, SS has really pushed the hobby to new heights in just about every line they are involved in - LOTR not excluded.

For the time however, Sideshow/Weta's offerings were about as good as it was. :peace

Plus Weta's idea of busts is the classic bust - you know, just the head and shoulders. The fact that the LSB's have arms etc and are so big and expensive, they could nearly be classed as statues. They just don't appeal to me.

Plus Weta's idea of busts is the classic bust - you know, just the head and shoulders. The fact that the LSB's have arms etc and are so big and expensive, they could nearly be classed as statues. They just don't appeal to me.

Which though some may like it I prefer the classic form, I certainly am NOT a fan of what GG has done for the most part; though that might have more to do with their awful bases. :sick

I'm a PF guy all the way. I had and loved all the Weta stuff from the busts to the statues to the plaques to the helms to the art, etc. But I'm refining my collecting to PFs for the most part. I love that format. I also love the release of one or two pieces a year.

To compare the quality of the original Weta pieces to what can be done now with the Sideshow PF and LSB line I don't think is fair. Not that the original Weta line was bad but I'm sure if the exact same product was produced today, there would be an improvement in overall quality.

Weta made a nice grab bag of stuff for its heavy days... but they definitely have their own flavor. I'd say PF for the "best looking" bang for your buck.

Which though some may like it I prefer the classic form, I certainly am NOT a fan of what GG has done for the most part; though that might have more to do with their awful bases. :sick

:lecture

What WETA did with their busts was absolutely beautiful. They were very classy and displayed very nicely. I prefer things to be uniform.

I think both companies are equal in quality. I cant believe people thinking WETA is sub-par. Some sculpts are off, but the same goes with SS. Then you got some amazing pieces. I think the line ended once they did the 7500 edition sizes. Even Weta's bust @ 2000 were high but they sold. It was the beginning of the "Flipper" era.

I think if it wasn't for WETA collecting would be much different today. They got me into SS and the high-end collectibles. I think they kicked SS off into the mainstream and how great it has been. Hopefully they team up again.

"i go both ways"

megan-fox-tongue.jpg

Back