Statue Which Maquettes should be made next?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I want to continue collecting LOTR statues I have to buy whatever leftover characters they didn't make 10 years ago?

I guess this means I'm out of LOTR collecting after Sauron releases. I'm not going to have my main characters in one style and the new Weta releases in another. Collecting the old Weta line is not an option either; I'm not spending much over retail for rare ones, or dealing with paint jobs and sculpts that are well antiquated by today's standards.

It was fun, guys.

So if I want to continue collecting LOTR statues I have to buy whatever leftover characters they didn't make 10 years ago?

I guess this means I'm out of LOTR collecting after Sauron releases. I'm not going to have my main characters in one style and the new Weta releases in another. Collecting the old Weta line is not an option either; I'm not spending much over retail for rare ones, or dealing with paint jobs and sculpts that are well antiquated by today's standards.

It was fun, guys.

I suspect Weta would want to develop this line seriously and will offer remakes of the main characters. Especially those that are hard to obtain nowadays and/or those that are not up to their new standard! Only my guess now, but it would make sense for them to have a new long term attractive line, esp. after the Hobbit leaves center stage.

The original line has a strong appeal and solid collecting base, hence the secondary market sales on a lot of the range :lecture

The acceptable levels of quality, sculpt and paint job has long been discussed which developed into a tit-for-tat spat over WETA vs Sideshow over the years by us, the collectors. Both companies have produced quality pieces and both have their respected lovers/ haters.
Personally I hope WETA continue to make their LOTR pieces on the black, plain base and made to blend in with existing, older pieces. :peace

It was fun, guys.

It won't just be leftover characters, do you seriously think they won't be tempted to do newer versions? yes some human character likenesses weren't great, but there weren't that many. All the creature statues were spot on, being Weta creations themselves.

As for 'antiquated', how many pieces did you own? I can't believe that someone who owned a variety of the statues could say that.
If they're that bad, i can't see how they're selling for good money on the secondary market.

Yes, it does.

Do we know this for sure? Is it ALWAYS the case that scales can't be shared across companies? I mean, this is seriously awful of SS not to complete the Fellowship in the maquette line and I assumed, if anyone, Josh would be optimistic about this but, damn, apparently not.

I'm just glad that one of the two companies I love will be doing Lord of the Rings. Weta is amazing and so is their work and I know I'm going to be really broke.

I think Sideshow should give an explanation to their customers now, and certify whether to continue with the maquette line or not, and how long they will remain committed to this line.

I think we deserve an explanation about by Sideshow

I would like to have the peace that Sideshow confirmed it will continue with the LOTR maquettes.

You do you think?

I think Sideshow should give an explanation to their customers now, and certify whether to continue with the maquette line or not, and how long they will remain committed to this line.

I think we deserve an explanation about by Sideshow

I would like to have the peace that Sideshow confirmed it will continue with the LOTR maquettes.

You do you think?

Wouldn't hold my breath on that one... probably the best anyone will get is SS stating:

a) The line is still in development; followed by
b) The line is taking a rest but we'll be returning to it as it's a line we care deeply for and we need to finish The Fellowship; finally sometime far off in the future this will be followed by
c) We no longer have that license, it's dead

Seems the usual SS spin when a line bites the dust.

Yup, call me in the moment but I am not really caring what SS does at this point. Imagine if Weta re-does the Fellowship with modern techniques in 1:6 scale. Yikes for secondary market values on the maquettes, and the old versions of the main characters. I mean with how Thranduil and Tauriel looked, a new Legolas in FOTR style would rock.

I agree that Weta is going to knock it out with how much they've improved. It's going to be amazing.

Yup, call me in the moment but I am not really caring what SS does at this point. Imagine if Weta re-does the Fellowship with modern techniques in 1:6 scale. Yikes for secondary market values on the maquettes, and the old versions of the main characters. I mean with how Thranduil and Tauriel looked, a new Legolas in FOTR style would rock.

I would totally collect the line if they did that, but it seems as if they want to start with characters like Eomer, Eowyn, etc. first, judging on the fan polls. This is my whole dilemma with the situation: Those characters really aren't important enough in my eyes to own without complementary main (Fellowship) characters, and I really don't feel like sitting for a probable 2+ years with nothing but a supporting character to show my Weta LOTR collection. Once the re-done main characters come I'm all for supporting this, but by then the first releases will probably be at a higher secondary price then I would bother for.

Also,

Frodoeyes said:
As for 'antiquated', how many pieces did you own? I can't believe that someone who owned a variety of the statues could say that.
If they're that bad, i can't see how they're selling for good money on the secondary market.

So I can't own a variety of statues and think that certain pieces look their age at the same time? I'm not going to buy a Sideshow Han Solo or Luke Skywalker PF (as much as my collection needs those characters) because their age is certainly showing, so why would I buy LOTR characters I feel the same way about? I guess people aren't allowed to have opinions on pieces that they would have to pay much above retail on.

Wouldn't hold my breath on that one... probably the best anyone will get is SS stating:

a) The line is still in development; followed by
b) The line is taking a rest but we'll be returning to it as it's a line we care deeply for and we need to finish The Fellowship; finally sometime far off in the future this will be followed by
c) We no longer have that license, it's dead

Seems the usual SS spin when a line bites the dust.

And again I say, so difficult that someone from Sideshow write on this forum giving an explanation on the future of the maquette line?

After a year without any news, taking nothing to Comic Con, I think we deserve at least tell us how they think now face the future of the maquette line after yesterday's announcement of Weta.

I think all collectors who have invested a lot of money and some maquette line deserve respect, so should give us an explanation, and not be silent.

I think the SILENCE is the only answer we will get...congrats to Weta for taking us collectors on...can't wait for the Merry and Pippen reveals!

I think the SILENCE is the only answer we will get...congrats to Weta for taking us collectors on...can't wait for the Merry and Pippen reveals!

For it is very sad that this be done by a reputable company, for about customers should talk and make things clear, if they value their customers who have placed their trust in them.

There's a few people asking about things on their Facebook page but no answer as of yet. Hopefully they'll address things after the Con.

If they abandon LOTR,then I will call them and let them know how unhappy I am.

That they don't even consider how much people genuinely LOVE LOTR MORE THAN ANY OTHER STUPID FLASH-IN-THE-PAN MOVIES AND LOTR DOES NOT DESERVE THIS KIND OF TREATMENT.

It literally sickens me how they have neglected this license while SW and Marvel fans get a seemingly never-ending stream of stuff to get excited about...they don't seem to realise that some of us COULD NOT CARE LESS ABOUT SW OR MARVEL,OR PREDATOR OR TERMINATOR OR ALIEN ETC.....Those are all movies I love but THEY ARE NOT LOTR!!!!!!

I ONLY order LOTR from SS,so they will lose my buisness and I will be very happy to tell them that....however not before I tell them what their selfish buisness decisions do to their loyal,paying customers who deserve respect because they help KEEP YOU IN BUISNESS.

If they do drop LOTR it will be a very sad day for me personally,as for the most part it will be the end of this great hobby for me...as I don't really care for WETA's statue output(really don't like their bases)and I'm mainly a PF collector.

Let's wait and see what happens over the next few weeks....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back