Which EMPEROR PALPATINE 12" Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which version of 12" Palpatine would you want FIRST?

• ROTJ Classic EMPEROR

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • ROTS "red robe" PALPATINE (Mace duel)

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • ROTS cloaked PALPATINE (Yoda duel)

Votes: 18 19.6%

• Total voters
pixletwin said:
As far as Ian's performance being better in ROTS than any other... I dunno. There is one thing in his performance in ROTJ that is missing in ROTS. The only way I can describe it is this: the emperor was SICK WITH EVIL... A quality which drew me to his character and one that I think was a bit watered down in ROTS... IMHO :D
Well, to each his own, of course, but I don't think his character in ROTS was "watered down" at all. In fact, the pre-deformity Palpatine actually showcases more evil because he shows just how manipulating, calculating and... tada inSidious he was. After the turn and his getting deformed he becomes pretty damn one-dimensional. Which, again, is by design. I just happen to prefer the more layered character prior to that. And he's absolutely much more bad ass in the Mace Duel scene than at any other moment in any of the films, imho. Especially BEFORE the actual duel. "Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" That rules all.

Batty said:
Since my figures don't do any actual acting, I want a ROTJ version. :emperor

Hehe. Good one. I have no comback for that. :lol

Though I must say it goes far beyond the acting. I like THE CHARACTER more before his deformity now.

:emperor

pixletwin said:
As far as Ian's performance being better in ROTS than any other... I dunno. There is one thing in his performance in ROTJ that is missing in ROTS. The only way I can describe it is this: the emperor was SICK WITH EVIL... A quality which drew me to his character and one that I think was a bit watered down in ROTS... IMHO :D
Sick with evil is a great way to put it and seems like a natural progression of the pre-deformed ROTS Palpatine. His campy, over the top performance in the latter half of ROTS really feels out of place to me. ROTJ Palpatine is the same manipulative character as the pre-deformed version but without the facade of being a cordial politician.

Sorry if I was misunderstood.... Watered down was a bad choice of words and didn't convey exactly what I meant. But obsolete man said it better. It was a progression of character that by the time ROTJ rolls around he is just sick with the darkside.. That is the quality I like... But I enjoy the ROTS Palpatine as well, very much in fact. I just like where Palpatine arrives as a character more than the journey... he he, I'm not sure I understand myself. Time to splash some cold water on my face and wash the office I work at off. :monkey3

Actually, forget it... They would all make incredible figures and I want them all!
cookie_monster.gif

ARGH NUM NUM NUM NUM ARGH HMMM NUM NUM NUM

I won't argue with that in the least. Palpatine is definitely one of the characters that demands MULTIPLE figure versions and while I clearly have a preference the truth is that I wouldn't pass on any Palpatine/Sidious figure from SSC.

:chew

:emperor :emperor :emperor

Batty said:
Since my figures don't do any actual acting, I want a ROTJ version. :emperor

Just as well. Their performance might be a bit ........ "artificial".

I was going to say wooden but that just didn't work.

pixletwin said:
As far as Ian's performance being better in ROTS than any other... I dunno. There is one thing in his performance in ROTJ that is missing in ROTS. The only way I can describe it is this: the emperor was SICK WITH EVIL...
I know where you're coming from but I can't say I agree. ROTJ Emperor was definitely "sick with evil" but there's something about his smirk at the end of ROTS when Vader cries in agony over Padme's death that is more evil, more dastardly, more despicable than any other character at any other moment in the saga.

One reviewer claimed Palpatine was a bit "Wicked Witch of the West" during the Yoda duel. To that I would add that in ROTJ he's more like the evil queen who poses as an old lady in Snow White. But at the end of ROTS he's flipping *Satan*.

In fact he's got a very strong "antichrist" vibe throughout almost all of ROTS (the exceptions being his theatrical personas during the Mace and Yoda duels).

The Bible states that Satan is the tempter, the deceiver, the liar, and that he spreads strife and hatred. In the "end times" after causing years of earthly dischord the antichrist or "coming world leader" will set himself up as the peacemaker and the world will turn to him and love him for it. Then he will reveal his true nature and destroy all who don't swear allegiance to him and take the mark of 666.

In ROTS Palpatine plays everyone against each other to continue a war, ends it to unite everyone under his solitary rulership, declares himself Emperor and wipes out the Jedi who are on the wrong side of Order 66. Then when its all said and done he can only chuckle at the agony he has provoked.

I saw ROTJ in 1983 when I was 9 years old. The Emperor was weird looking and evil. If I saw ROTS as a 9 year old I seriously think I might have had nightmares about him. :emperor

Empy was evil in Jedi, but he was flat out twisted evil in Sith. He kicked ass with major Jedi's and took names. Jedi Empy just shocked a weak "jedi" and was thrown down a shaft. Sith Empy would have jumped from Vaders hands and Force choked and shocked Vader to death and continued on shocking Luke.

EVILFACE said:
Empy was evil in Jedi, but he was flat out twisted evil in Sith. He kicked ass with major Jedi's and took names. Jedi Empy just shocked a weak "jedi" and was thrown down a shaft. Sith Empy would have jumped from Vaders hands and Force choked and shocked Vader to death and continued on shocking Luke.

The act of killing Luke with unabashed glee beside his own Father to demonstrate his power is not twisted to you? Dude, that is the DEFINITION of twisted.

pjam said:
The act of killing Luke with unabashed glee beside his own Father to demonstrate his power is not twisted to you? Dude, that is the DEFINITION of twisted.

yup. couldnt agree more.
He did bring something on both OT and PT that made it work just that bit better for me. Loved him in both, but OT will always be the fave.

ROTS with red robes..........just makes sense considering we have Mace already............

I voted for "red robed" version as well. But would also want a ROTJ version. That would look great with the Jedi Luke and Darth Vader to come (and don't forget his chair!!!)

FlyAndFight said:
I voted for "red robed" version as well. But would also want a ROTJ version. That would look great with the Jedi Luke and Darth Vader to come (and don't forget his chair!!!)

Chair? You meant his throne rite? :lol

So here's a question: does anyone know the story behind Sifo Dyas?

In AOTC, he was a Jedi that died 10 years ago, right? Or is this just a made up name by Sidious? If so, why did GL make the names so close? I'm sure someone here, if not all, knows the real story.

I always thought it sounded funny in AOTC, like Sidious fumbled for a name when he called the cloners...

Sidious: Hi. I'd like to order some clones.

Taun We: Alright. Who will be placing the order?

Sidious: Sidious... Uh, si... si... Sifo...dious.

Taun We: Sifo Dyas?

Sidious: Yeah, that's it. Sifo Dyas.

Wor-Gar said:
So here's a question: does anyone know the story behind Sifo Dyas?

In AOTC, he was a Jedi that died 10 years ago, right? Or is this just a made up name by Sidious? If so, why did GL make the names so close? I'm sure someone here, if not all, knows the real story.

I always thought it sounded funny in AOTC, like Sidious fumbled for a name when he called the cloners...

Sidious: Hi. I'd like to order some clones.

Taun We: Alright. Who will be placing the order?

Sidious: Sidious... Uh, si... si... Sifo...dious.

Taun We: Sifo Dyas?

Sidious: Yeah, that's it. Sifo Dyas.

Dooku killed Sifo Dyas and posed as him to order the clone army. He was a Jedi Master who was on the council and had the authority to make such an order.

Last edited:
Back