Where to start with Hammer horror?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamcerberus

Freaked Out
Reaction score
For as much horror as I watch, I've never gotten into the Hammer horror movies, partly because I love the old Universal horror and I know that Hammer movies were about the same monsters for the most part.

So I decided that I should get around to watching a few of these and was wondering what movies are the best to check out first.

There are a lot of great Hammer films. A few of my favorites are The Curse of Frankenstein (1957), The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958), Horror of Dracula (1958) and The Mummy (1959).

If you like the old Universal horror films, these will be a little more gory, gothic and, at times, sexy. Hammer had some great vixens in some of their films. :rock

I'd start with the Lee Dracula flicks (WalMart or Target had a 4-pack a while back for $10). If you can handle those, the rest will be a non-issue.

Horror of Dracula should start things off with a bang. Follow it up with --

The Mummy
The Curse of Frankenstein
The Reptile
Plague of the Zombies

after that you should be good and hooked.

Then go back and check out Brides of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, The Gorgon, and Dracula--Prince of Darkness!!

There are a lot of great Hammer films. A few of my favorites are The Curse of Frankenstein (1957), The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958), Horror of Dracula (1958) and The Mummy (1959).

If you like the old Universal horror films, these will be a little more gory, gothic and, at times, sexy. Hammer had some great vixens in some of their films. :rock

I don't think I could have come up with a better starter list than this one. :rock

Well, the best one to start with is probably the most horrible Hammer horror film- Three Guys One Hammer. :(

Back