Where are the OG Freaks? Members from past 10+ years

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been here since 2010 a lite poster heavy lurker. This site has done me well over the years lots of ideas and great imagery. Thanks to you all

Les got me into painting way back when. He was also the very first person I ever commissioned a custom sculpt paint from. It was the medal ceremony Luke from Sideshow. He could work wonders on those old SS SW sculpts. That was a really fun time on the forum.

According to my profile, 2009 was when I started this account... but I either lurked before that or had a different account name. I can't recall anymore.

I recently got in touch with Les, and told him people here were reminiscing. He doesn't want to re-register (I think he closed his user account due to the fury of certain one-eyed messages coming his way...if you know, you know...anyway he asked that I post this for him:

Hey guys! Thanks so much for remembering my works and the kind words. I remember all you guys, (Especially you Kurgans!) and am still thankful for that chair you guys helped me to get for my mom.

There is a followup story as regards that chair...

When some of you had sent some money to help out, my sister and I took it, and with it and more, we got her a nice, standard, burgundy rocker, nice and fluffy and very comfortable. She sat in it all the time when she could. Then one day, she slipped on the slick nursing home floor and broke her right hip. As her legal guardian I had to make the decision about whether she could withstand and even survive a corrective surgery. She was very frail physically, and it would have been a long and rough affair, and very invasive to repair that broken part of her hip bone. So, I chose not to put her through that. As a result, and because she didn't try very hard to do therapy, she never walked again. It was rough. She was bedridden for the last few years of her life. The chair however, became the go-to spot for visitors, especially my Dad, whose own health was also going down.

Anyway, one morning, the nursing home called me and said she wasn't doing so well. My wife and I went to the home to see about her and hang out. We sat and watched some "I Love Lucy" show episodes. My wife fell asleep and I was sitting in the chair next to ma's hospital type bed, the bed she lived in now.
I sat there, still watching Lucy, and after a time, noticed Ma wasn't breathing. At first, I was like, "Not now!" so I just sat for a few minutes. Just sat with her, in the chair, with my mom. I knew after a few minutes I couldn't let that go too long, so I called in a nurse, and she pronounced her gone. It was a heavy day. I sat in that chair, calling my family to inform them, and that sort of helped me get through it all.

I was glad I was present when she left us. So many chances I might not have been, but I was.

So, a huge THANK YOU, those of you that helped me with that. That chair was a big thing for the family. It was a source of comfort and serenity in that little room. When we moved her things out, we let the nursing home keep the chair, so someone else could have a comfortable seat in their room, either for themselves or visitors. I will always be grateful for it. I felt you guys that contributed deserved to know what became of it.

As for the site, and its many changes, I miss you all too. I wish things had gone differently for me and for everyone. I took on too much, and thought I could do it all. I was "Figuremaster Les", a name I have gladly retired and will never answer to again. When I filed bankruptcy, in the summer of 2010, the trustee's crew confiscated so much, "to pay for my debts" and some of the stuff was not mine. That gutted me. I was powerless to do anything. They wouldn't believe me. It was awful.

Funny thing is, I am not sure what they thought they were gonna do with it all, when they barely understood what it all was!

I still play around with some cheap figures, repainting them and such, but I don't and won't do commission work again. Lesson learned. And, I have gotten too old for it. Too many health problems. I am glad that many of you remember me and my work, fondly. I know some will not. But I hope the best for all of you and that your days of collecting have led to happier times for all of you!

Hang in there!
Your friend..,always!

Les

I rarely come in this board anymore. I got sick of it when the likes of Grumpy Bear ran roughshod over it and it became a sales forum for one company. On top of that this board is blocked at work. I used to be a paid supporter here too. I only wandered in today because I saw they were looking for donations and thought I’d see what was up.

I still bounce around a few threads, mainly Star Wars. But I’m very picky with what I collect and being lucky enough to have what I have, my collecting days are winding down.

It‘s nice to see a few old-timers still popping in. Always enjoyed the community. :duff

Started collecting back in 2009 when I was still in college. Hard to believe how long it has been.

I'm glad this thread is still going on. I really miss the old forum 😭😭☹️☹️ I was just talking to somebody on Instagram about how everything was we're calling back in the day. And it was only like 10 years ago. It's really sad to see the hobby turn into the what it is today. We had groups and clicks of people that just hung out on YouTube. Somebody post a video and everybody would be talking about that video in the videos comments. People actually gave a crap about reviews and tricks of the trade etc. Like I've said since I started this thread. People just don't care anymore. Maybe it's a generation thing, but I'm glad I got to be a part of the start of 1/6 scale customs. The fun of the hunt, you want to make a figure you have to hunt down every single part you're going to need. Now you could just buy a complete figure with everything, every accessory. I guess it's easier but the fun is gone. What comes to mind when I talk about that is making a Dexter figure, the breaking bad figures. How Trevor Grove sculpted an awesome head sculpt. We would buy that sculpt and then have to source out all the clothes, and accessories. Let's bring those days back.........🤔🤔🤔🫣🫣 Or at least the community of those days

What's up peoples! I'm almost as old school as they come around here. Still friends with some of our old members but I haven't been active for a long while. My collection is still growing though, just a little at a time now since room and finances are now major factors. I promise to be more active.

Back