What makes you want a figure more...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warmachine333

Freaked Out
Reaction score
So many of you have some awesome collections on here so what makes you want a figure more, is it the character, the way the figure itself looks, or is it a completion thing being part of a line or a movie you like? For me it is more the figure. For example I was not a fan of when the mandarin turned out to be Trevor, but I think the figure is exceptional, and I like who the Mandarin is supposed to be.

For me, its usually the character(or what the character does in the movie, game etc). However if the figure looks good I will get it also(Like Whiplash MKII, I didnt like the character in the movie but the figure is phenomenal), and if I have a few of the figures from a particular line I will most likely get the rest of them to complete it(like The Winter Soldier line, I didnt like the Stealth Cap figure, but I bought it because I had all the other figures)

If I don't like or am neutral about a character's design, but I really liked the character, I'll buy. If i hate the character/movie but thought the design was great, I buy.

Sure there are some lines I want to complete 100% no matter (HT Batman and Terminator 1/2)

I feel the same way about the Mandarin. Love the figure and what the character was supposed to be. Hate Trevor though. I go for character mostly.

If I had the budget and space I'd buy whatever looked cool.

Instead I focus on primary characters of favourite films and historically significant individuals.

Strong likeness is essential, otherwise I pass.

If it just looks pretty cool I'm interested in it however; price is always number one for me.

In the main I go for Iconic characters so for example I've got:

Terminator
Superman
Spider-Man
Hulk
Jack Sparrow
Iron Man
Wolverine
Captain America
Batman (on PO)
Joker

But then I've also picked up a few not so iconic just because I really liked either the character or the piece itself, those being:

Iron Patriot
Mandarin (Trevor)
Ultron Mk1 (PO)

I have to be careful now as I'm rapidly running out of room (until we move house which is hopefully soon) but my focus is now mainly on great pieces that will compliment my collection. I am a bit of a sucker for Iron Man and Batman though so I can see myself expanding on those lines just because.

Make of that lot what you will!

For me it's both movie/character and figure. I wouldn't buy a figure from a movie I don't like.

Character first and foremost. Don't care if it was lame or strong in a movie, but more of how it reminds me of my childhood. I read Iron Man and Batman comics as a kid so those are easy characters to chase. I didn't care for Superman or Green Lantern as a kid, so they are passes for me. Price nowadays is the decision maker on how many variations of a character I collect.

Movie/character are equally important to me. If the movie sucked (Pacific Rim), I won't waste money on anything from it. Then it's actor likeness. Never cared for IM comics as a kid, but I really liked the movies (especially the first one), and I've always liked RDJ, so I had to get a Tony Stark figure. Don't have one IM figure, as, to me, it's just another colorful robot. I got the Captain America:WS two-pack mostly for the Chris Evans figure. So, maybe, I should say, movie/character/actor likeness are all equally important to me.

good question.
previously i used to get figures based on their likeness, which lead be to get figures that i'm not absolutely "into" such as barney Ross and MK5
now i base my purchase on how much i like the characters and how "playable" "posable" they are.
i love spiderman, but the movie just sucked so much and the figure did not live up to my expections.
wolverine had NO accessiories, but he's my favourite character in marvel so i got him.

Design, movie quality and iconic level. esp those movies that's instant classic ie. Dark knight.

I tend to only go for the characters that I like from the franchises that I like (Marvel, Doctor Who & Middle Earth), although I'll occassionally buy the odd 'random' figure if it's a great likeness or an iconic character/actor.

Character first, movie right behind character. Those two things are most important to me.

I don't buy for a "Cool" factor or just because a figure might look amazing. I mean, I think a lot f 1/6th stuff looks amazing, for example, but if I'm not a fan of the character/franchise I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on it. The Mandarin is an example of this - figure looks fantastic, but I hated the character and reveal so there's no way I want that on my shelf. It would be a major waste of money to me and irritate me every time I looked at it.

Black Widow is one of my favorite Avengers amd I love my TWS Widow - no flashy outfit required. I'm a character collector first.

It's all about being a fan of the characters and the movies. I wouldn't collect if I wasn't a fan of those things.

I say character first and then design, also. I love the Ultron character, but don't care for the design of Ultron Prime. I think price also plays a factor as well. I love Thanos, I think the design HT did was good, but the fact that it comes with such a large accessory that I have no interest in, which makes its price a little higher, puts me out. Thankfully this is a character we'll see again in the future, so I can just wait until another figure is released.

Back