What is next for Asmus?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm concerned Asmus has silently forsaken us. Have these even come around this forum in months?

Hard to imagine the line being complete without Gollum though.

True. But the goal expressed here was always to finish the Fellowship.

Personally, I won't have the Nine members myself -- but that's not because of Asmus, I just never wanted all nine heroes. To me the key 5 were: Gandalf and Frodo (Mentor and Hero), and the 3 Battle Buddies: Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli... and that's all I wanted on my shelf.

I would love to have a scaled Gollum... but for now the 1/4 scale Gollum in a squat position will have to do.

To me the key 5 were: Gandalf and Frodo (Mentor and Hero), and the 3 Battle Buddies: Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli...
I would love to have a scaled Gollum...
Actually, Tolkien has a multiple personalities hero: Gandalf - to guide and discover ones calling (for Frodo and Aragorn, at least), Aragorn - to protect and heal (saving Frodo and giving him time to destroy the Ring), Frodo - to carry and trust (without his courage the quest would not happen), Sam - to be hope and to take care of the carrier (Frodo would never make it without Sam's care and "naive" hope), Smeagol/Gollum - to take the curse of the Ring to himself (and, actually, save Frodo and Middle Earth).
I also think these are vital for the story, and that is why (so I added Sam, and Legolas and Gimli is a story of peace after almost eternal hate between elves and dwarfs, but that's a different story). Actually, in the movies Legolas is Aragorn's buddy (so, he is kind of more prominent than in the book, as far as I remember).

Totally agree.

Certainly the beauty of LOTR is the varied way you can "watch" the story -- in many ways Aragorn's 'Return of the King' story is the heroic story as well.

I would not count Sam other than as a very loyal everyman who aids a hero.

And Gollum carries a story but I wouldn't say he is a "hero" because he ultimately destroys the ring. He's tragic. It's his obsession with the ring that kills him and ironically the ring itself -- and that action would be the only true way to defeat the ring: it consumes itself. I think that's Tolkien's point.

But I would say that Frodo and Aragorn both have very strong hero stories in this epic tale.

Gandalf I still see only as a mentor and catalyst figure. His goal never wavers, his mission is always clear, even when he must die and return. I think his story is more Spiritual than Heroic.

The Fellowship Nine has always been my goal in my collection and fortunately I've been able to complete them via Sideshow and several custom figures.

But while I really like how my Gimli custom came out, he's the one that would benefit from a new release. Legolas would follow, as Sideshow's figure is quite nice but the head sculpt is definitely dated. These two, if done right, would be instant purchases from Asmus.

Wor-Gar totally agree on Gandalf, it was explained that the role of Wizards was to guide and protect nations of the Middle Earth. I do believe that Smeagol is more complicated figure. Of course he is tragic, and the Ring consumes him, because his life is so much connected to the Ring, he has to pass away with it. And he becomes "a savior" because Bilbo and Frodo both show mercy to him, and Gandalf explains that it is important to be able to preserve life not to take it. So, he does play a savior, but because of grace shown to him by others. And it proves that Gandalf was right, that preserving life of not decent creature could actually lead to common good.
Sam is the main character of the Lord of the Rings as stated by Tolkien, because he is a usual human/creature that does heroic acts and is participating in global events (like many soldiers during Word conflicts, which was Tolkien's own experience). I also think that what Frodo did was impossible without Sam, and Tolkien tries to show that heroism is a kind of team work (basically all Lord of the Rings is about this).
I also admire how death of Boromir is depicted in movies, I think it is brilliant and both uncovers Boromir's and Aragorn's true personalities. I think that Tolkien was gracious to not so perfect characters, and Boromir deserves more love. :)

If Sam is the central hero in the movies then Jackson did a good job of hiding that until the end. I can see how he could be the hero -- the everyman who is true to the end -- but the movie only depicts him as such and he's not a driving force regardless of his kind acts. In the books it may be different. I'm really speaking only from the movies, which I know much better but I also know they deviate from the novels in many ways. No hero can accomplish his task without his "sidekick/friend/companion/love". But if Tolkien says Sam is the main hero in the books then it certainly must be true. But that's the beauty of LOTR -- it is so rich in its characters and their stories that many of them could be a central character in their own way.

Legolas is on the way,
just waiting for approval,
there will be a kickass base for Leggy.

This one: :hi5:

Capture.JPG

Back