What is Hot Toys MMS400?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a good thing I prefer 80's iconic robot lines. Bandai, Takara, Arcadia and various other 3p companies have me covered while not forgetting their other markets/audiences.

You know, how a company should function.

It's fine to have your own opinion but to wish ill will towards them because you don't like their output when others do is a bit silly to say the least and sort of selfish. I don't like everything they put out but there's a lot that I still enjoy including from the big lines like Star Wars (mostly Original Trilogy) and some Marvel and DC stuff. They also manage to surprise me on occasion with figures like Marty, Doc, Ripley, etc. I do wish there was some more variety but overall I can't complain too much as I do find stuff in their catalog to enjoy. If you don't it's fine and no one is making you buy any of it but a lot of us still do.

Yeah, no doubt it's selfish but I'm not really sure how else to feel. I look on the various boards and the comment section of Hot Toys' Facebook and a lot of people feel the same way I do.

I don't feel any shame about being cynical towards their offerings. What other people collect is really of no interest to me, I don't care about Iron Man or Marvel collectors just like I'm sure they don't care about what we collect. Every so often I'll take a look over at that section and I'm amazed by the people that are still convincing themselves that they need another Iron Man or Captain America. It's the same few handful of people I saw doing the same thing years prior. It's fascinating to me that they're still allowing themselves to be hyped and interested. I saw so many "just when I'm out they pull me back in" comments in regards to the MMS 400 and instead of seeing it as funny (we've all posted that meme when a surprise or grail pops up I think), it came off as kind of sad. They're going to be perpetually buying Iron Man redos till the end of time since Hot Toys will no doubt be updating all their previous efforts. I look at those huge Hot Toys Iron Man collections or the Troopers people hoard and I guess I just don't see the point. It looks like a mess. What started out as a cool Hall of Armors display with the 7 Iron Man showcasing his suit evolution or a classy superhero team set up featuring a colorful set of heroes has snowballed into this unsightly and excessive looking cluster**** of variations of only 2 or 3 characters. I don't see how people could be proud owners of all of it, but to each their own.

It's a mix of disgust and envy. It's kind of like "hey, where is mine, when am I going to get a turn?". It also begs to question that if they're not open to doing anything new, why can't they go back and redo one of my favorite classic characters they've already done, some of which only have one version to their name? Iron Man 2 isn't a beloved movie like Hot Toys always claims for their announcements. If the suitcase armor from a forgettable 7 year old movie is getting a redux, why can't one of my more well know favorites? Obviously I know why they do it ("Iron Man sells! It's a business!" XD) but it's not fun as a collector/customer. They look like corporate ass hats making the same old shiny junk.

I came to this message board because of Hot Toys, because of Sideshow Collectibles, because of high end collecting. Now ironically I discuss "kiddie toys" more than I do the very thing I came here for. :lol Only thing Hot Toys and Sideshow get out of me these days are long, pointless rants when they could be getting money out of me. I don't see how they're profiting when their offerings suck and the prices just keep on increasing. Especially Sideshow. Their 1/6 efforts have barely moved forwards since the mid 2000s and they have the gull to ask the same prices as the best in the business, if not more! Their Premium Formats look the same as their early Lord of the Rings and Star Wars from about a decade ago, with no improvements in technique, sculpting or paint and they think they can get $500 out of people for a statue that is rarely even mixed media anymore. I used to defend them, but they're a joke. They think they can compete with the best when their products don't even match up to the competition.

You bought EB's Robo?

It has me curios as to what you think of it. I wish I would've waited on a sale (which I'm assuming you did).

Yeah, got them from eForcecity on Amazon on eBay. I ****ed up not getting T-1000 though.

I haven't opened Robocop yet. It took me a week or two to open up the BD T-800 because of the box size and time. Robocop is the same deal. Might do it tomorrow night when nobody is around.

Last edited:
Yeah, no doubt it's selfish but I'm not really sure how else to feel. I look on the various boards and the comment section of Hot Toys' Facebook and a lot of people feel the same way I do.

I don't feel any shame about being cynical towards their offerings. What other people collect is really of no interest to me, I don't care about Iron Man or Marvel collectors just like I'm sure they don't care about what we collect. Every so often I'll take a look over at that section and I'm amazed by the people that are still convincing themselves that they need another Iron Man or Captain America. It's the same few handful of people I saw doing the same thing years prior. It's fascinating to me that they're still allowing themselves to be hyped and interested. I saw so many "just when I'm out they pull me back in" comments in regards to the MMS 400 and instead of seeing it as funny (we've all posted that meme when a surprise or grail pops up I think), it came off as kind of sad. They're going to be perpetually buying Iron Man redos till the end of time since Hot Toys will no doubt be updating all their previous efforts. I look at those huge Hot Toys Iron Man collections or the Troopers people hoard and I guess I just don't see the point. It looks like a mess. What started out as a cool Hall of Armors display with the 7 Iron Man showcasing his suit evolution or a classy superhero team set up featuring a colorful set of heroes has snowballed into this unsightly and excessive looking cluster**** of variations of only 2 or 3 characters. I don't see how people could be proud owners of all of it, but to each their own.

It's a mix of disgust and envy. It's kind of like "hey, where is mine, when am I going to get a turn?". It also begs to question that if they're not open to doing anything new, why can't they go back and redo one of my favorite classic characters they've already done, some of which only have one version to their name? Iron Man 2 isn't a beloved movie like Hot Toys always claims for their announcements. If the suitcase armor from a forgettable 7 year old movie is getting a redux, why can't one of my more well know favorites? Obviously I know why they do it ("Iron Man sells! It's a business!" XD) but it's not fun as a collector/customer. They look like corporate ass hats making the same old shiny junk.

I came to this message board because of Hot Toys, because of Sideshow Collectibles, because of high end collecting. Now ironically I discuss "kiddie toys" more than I do the very thing I came here for. :lol Only thing Hot Toys and Sideshow get out of me these days are long, pointless rants when they could be getting money out of me. I don't see how they're profiting when their offerings suck and the prices just keep on increasing. Especially Sideshow. Their 1/6 efforts have barely moved forwards since the mid 2000s and they have the gull to ask the same prices as the best in the business, if not more! Their Premium Formats look the same as their early Lord of the Rings and Star Wars from about a decade ago, with no improvements in technique, sculpting or paint and they think they can get $500 out of people for a statue that is rarely even mixed media anymore. I used to defend them, but they're a joke. They think they can compete with the best when their products don't even match up to the competition.

If it's no fun to you anymore, have you thought about just walking away from the hobby altogether?

Lol...like Blitzway or some other company will be a savior. I guarantee you, if HT ever actually did go under, the entire 1/6 market does too

No, i don't think it will. There's still a huge market interest for example with military figures. They were around before hot toys even got started and they'll be around when hot toys go under.

Yeah Fabby nailed it. HT is a joke and a shadow of their former selves.
I wouldn't say that at all. Their focus may have changed but in terms of production they're on top of the game. Just because they aren't producing a ton of figures from older properties (which I know there is a market for) doesn't make them any less as a company.

Also let's be honest whenever they do figures from classic properties people claim to want so bad the people that wanted them so bad find a reason to complain seemingly no matter what. We got Batman from Batman Returns, "oh they waited too long now I'm not even interested", we got Marty from Back to the Future, "no Doc so no point to getting it", we're getting Doc along with a second Marty from Back to the Future Part II, "I wish Doc was from the first film" or "I don't like the expressive face (probably the same people who whine about sculpts lacking emotion)", Ripley is upcoming, "she's taking forever because Hot Toys is half assing her because they don't care about the character or fans". It goes on and on and on. Its always an excuse for some people to complain and at a certain point I think some people need to take a look back and ask who really has the problem.

I wouldn't say that at all. Their focus may have changed but in terms of production they're on top of the game. Just because they aren't producing a ton of figures from older properties (which I know there is a market for) doesn't make them any less as a company.

Also let's be honest whenever they do figures from classic properties people claim to want so bad the people that wanted them so bad find a reason to complain seemingly no matter what. We got Batman from Batman Returns, "oh they waited too long now I'm not even interested", we got Marty from Back to the Future, "no Doc so no point to getting it", we're getting Doc along with a second Marty from Back to the Future Part II, "I wish Doc was from the first film" or "I don't like the expressive face (probably the same people who whine about sculpts lacking emotion)", Ripley is upcoming, "she's taking forever because Hot Toys is half assing her because they don't care about the character or fans". It goes on and on and on. Its always an excuse for some people to complain and at a certain point I think some people need to take a look back and ask who really has the problem.

I see it all the time on here, even with the 1/4 statues. Zero patience in this hobby anymore

The real main problem is one which is far too complex to get into in this forum but its basically the search for perfection which you'll never find in any aspect of this life anyway. That's why people get so invested in the arguments on the forum, they are searching for perfection in all the wrong places.

Yeah, got them from eForcecity on Amazon on eBay. I ****ed up not getting T-1000 though.

I haven't opened Robocop yet. It took me a week or two to open up the BD T-800 because of the box size and time. Robocop is the same deal. Might do it tomorrow night when nobody is around.
I would imagine once they finish the House Protocol they'll just do variants which shouldn't be to much R&D for them and revisit the the original 7. Which hopefully allow let them to visit other properties.

I would imagine once they finish the House Protocol they'll just do variants which shouldn't be to much R&D for them and revisit the the original 7. Which hopefully allow let them to visit other properties.

Every company keeps a heavy rotation of the heavy hitters, and that goes all the way back to the old Bowen and Creative License days

Every company keeps a heavy rotation of the heavy hitters, and that goes all the way back to the old Bowen and Creative License days

They can still make them but I would think eventually they'll have all the molds complete til a new version comes out.

The real main problem is one which is far too complex to get into in this forum but its basically the search for perfection which you'll never find in any aspect of this life anyway. That's why people get so invested in the arguments on the forum, they are searching for perfection in all the wrong places.
Yeah I agree. Personally I've accepted that most things in life aren't perfect and I think that's carried over with my mentality as a collector. I'm nowhere near as nitpicky about every aspect of a figure looking spot on as many on here are. Generally speaking I'm pretty easy to make happy and in general I think Hot Toys do a good job with their releases.

I see it all the time on here, even with the 1/4 statues. Zero patience in this hobby anymore

Patience has nothing to do with it. People waited 4-5 years for some of these lines and the results were half assed and disappointing when you factor in the time of announcement to the time people got them in hand. It doesn't take a genius to see that those lines you listed aren't a priority for them, it shows from how they were handled. Some of them started as a DX only for them to cheap out and become a cheap value box set. Not our faults.

They deserve their backlash. If the Returns Batman had come out when they said it would (along with the Penguin), people would have been more forgiving of it's faults. Instead, they waited 5 years to get a mediocre figure in people's hands and it didn't match up to the quality they're known for. Both the single and two pack still sold out though, in less than a year. I was the one that criticized it the most (that Keaton head IS atrocious especially compared to the backstage paint master that was a different sculpt, the effort put in is lazy) but I still got a single and double and supported the "line" which doesn't look to be continuing anytime soon. Suppose next week a Hot Toys Catwoman pops up and she looks horrible, is barebones and they want $250+. Should the people that waited since 2011 to see it not be able to complain? Is it wrong for them to do so?

The way they handled Back to the Future is a huge head scratcher and it makes you wonder why they pursued that license in the first place when there seems to be zero enthusiasm from them. I also bought Marty, but then they went silent again and suddenly they're onto BTTF2 and there's a weird looking Doc. You guys make it seem like collectors and fans of the films should just be happy Hot Toys is even doing them and not criticize it, because hey, atleast you're finally getting them! Basically just "shut up", buy it or don't. Hot Toys created that anticipation for a figure the second they tell the collecting community they're doing it. It's not like people are pulling the interest out of their ass and demanding Hot Toys make something from a license they never disclosed. No, Hot Toys said "this is what we're doing and it's coming soon". It's not our fault that after years of waiting the final product turns out to be lame. We still buy them even and the line gets no traction.

Alien? If people think that Alien Warrior is good or that the prototype of Ripley is Hot Toys' A-game, they're delusional.

Hot Toys gets credit where credit is do. I'll go back to their Robocop license. It took a good bit of time from their announcement/teaser (that showed off a Cain mock up) to finally getting the Die Cast version in hand. In that time, they teased the back of the head of what we all assumed was an unmasked Robocop. Took a couple of years but we finally saw that Battle Damaged Robocop and it was gorgeous. Then when the orders went up we not only got a great looking figure but a surprise Alex Murphy cop as well. The final product turned out great and they got the praise they deserved. That made a lot of our top figure lists and we expressed how thankful we were. They went all out on that set, and it showed. Happy collectors, good product, worth the wait. The product doesn't even have to be perfect like you guys are discussing. I can nitpick the Robocop/Murphy two pack, from the lobster hands Hot Toys refuses to retire, to the sheen of the armor to the overpriced nature of the set. Still a great release from them that I love and appreciate.

Not with the other lines mentioned, not by a long shot. It's like a self fullinging prophecy where a toy company will say "we had this and this planned but there wasn't enough interest, it's over, sorry". Well maybe if it felt like a priority to you and you actually tried to generate interest from announcement to final product, you'd have *gasp* more interest. You can't blame the customer/buyer for having standards. If people wanted any old Police Shootout Terminator or Batman Returns figures or Doc Brown or Ripley, they'd make one or have it commissioned themselves. Problem is, Hot Toys is like "we got this" then puts it on the back burner for years only to deliver a mediocre offering. Not everyone drops the line when this happens either. Like I said, myself and others still buy these things despite the disappointment so saying "everyone complains just so they have an excuse to drop the item" is not only wrong but anecdotal evidence.

How about that god awful Beetlejuice Sideshow is trying to pitch. People love Beetlejuice, they were excited by the announcement, Sideshow finally reveals it and it's an overpriced dud that fans don't want and will either skip or wait for it to get heavily clearanced. Whose fault is that, Sideshow or the fans/potential customer?

I don't know why people are so quick to jump to these companies' sides and defend them when they're not making good on what they haphazardly pursue and offer a product that we pay for. They're not our buddies or making those out of the kindness of their hearts. It's a business. Not everything they do is great or good. When they make great stuff and make good decisions, we praise it. I have, others have. When they don't, we let them have it. They earn their criticisms like everyone else. Besides a handful of releases I fail to see what's so great about them and their practices, currently.

Last edited:
I don't see why anyone has a problem with criticism of Hot Toys as long as its constructive and from what I can in the majority of cases here it is. We know HT aren't going to read any of this let alone change their policy because it. No more than a football manager would change his tactics on the basis of fan forums or Snyder altering JL due to complaints on movie forums. This forum is surely just about discussion and interaction with fellow collectors not to get HT to or any other company to change their business model. We aren't that delusional. :lol

I do think its shallow to justify their current approach by just saying they are making whats most popular. In the last couple of years it seems they have alienated a whole group of their customers that spent thousands of dollars with them over a number of years. That seems pretty dumb to me.

Obviously make the Iron Man, SW Troopers, DCEU stuff but don't totally neglect everything else. As I've said many times four Leto Jokers for what was a cameo is massive overkill. I doubt more than one of those figures will actually sell out after the lukewarm reception. If they'd done say two versions, both would have probably sold out and they could have made Catwoman, Penguin, Romero Joker, or Kyle Reese etc. End result would have likely been greater sales and more of the demographic satisfied.

The less said about the prisoner Harley with a teacup the better, no one was demanding that figure.

The Blitzway Ghostbusters seem to have sold out in many places already. That an old 80's flick HT would consider too niche. Die Hard figures would surely sell extremely well, as would Rocky, Rambo, Blade Runner and a ton of other lines. They could easily service the Marvel, SW and DCEU demand while still taking money from the wallets of fans that want something else.

Back