What is Hot Toys MMS400?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be nice to get a DX release at every century mark. Or would have been cool to see Jedi Luke, Kyle Reese, or BTTF 1 Doc get the big #400.

Star Wars aside, HT makes me puke nowadays. I better not hear the 'they make what sells' **** either.
Why because it's true? No offense but that's the reality whether people like it or not. You're not forced to buy anything they produce.

Their 2017 catalogue is pretty telling. A ton of Iron Man stuff at the front followed by a ton of Star Wars stuff, quite a lot of DCEU stuff then almost as an after thought a couple of pages at the back for BTTF2 and Aliens. They'd better actually make the hover DeLorean, but I'm sceptical if Doc isn't selling out anywhere in pre-order.

Could they really not make good money on other lines and offer at least some variety?

..but neither of those things are a 1984 Kyle Reese from T1. Neither are they a new Corporal Hicks from Aliens. Hot Toys needs to reconsider it's current ''zero Michael Biehn figures'' policy. It is detrimental to those collectors who desire Michael Biehn figures for their collections. Michael Biehn fans are everything.

Standing here holding the MMS136 Tech Noir T-800 and the MMS152 Superman, remembering when Hot Toys used to make stuff that will transcend every ****in' current flavour.

Those two, plus DX08 and 09 Joker and Batman, DX13 T-800, MMS202 Robocop among others.

I'm not saying Iron Man doesn't deserve a place up there with those. Clearly he has become a major thing - at least one definitive Iron Man should be on the list, I'll admit that....but FFS, every ****kin' variant irrespective of screentime? Iron Man needed 00 commemoration again (MMS300 was an Iron Man)? Iron Man mark..what, V? From the film even Iron Man fans think is ***t? Iron Man needs the added hype of being a 00 figure? You're gonna make and sell that ***t regardless Hot Toys. How about something that otherwise has less of a chance in the current market, something that would benefit from the 00 figure hype, that Romero Joker for example. Something other than the same ol' same ol'.

Last edited:
I hope something big happens internationally where China can't sell or trade to other countries. Then Hot Toys effectively goes down with Sideshowcollectibles going away with them (let's face it, Sideshow's bread and butter is probably the distribution deal they got going on with Hot Toys, not their crappy Premium Formats or lame 1/6 offerings).

I'm sure someone like Motux would lay claim to the idea that "Hot Toys doesn't need the U.S or European markets when they have their base in Hong Kong", but that's assuming they would get to keep their licenses from the licensors. They wouldn't have jack **** without the Mouse. They'd have to go back to their military dolls and knock offs, which would be a poetic ending for them since that's how they started.

:lol Why do some people take this hobby so seriously? Some of you are never happy anyways even if you get things you claim to want because of whatever reason you find to complain. Others harp on the fact that Hot Toys mostly focuses on what makes them money, because of course it's shocking that a business would do that.

:lol Why do some people take this hobby so seriously? Some of you are never happy anyways even if you get things you claim to want because of whatever reason you find to complain. Others harp on the fact that Hot Toys mostly focuses on what makes them money, because of course it's shocking that a business would do that.

Exactly I really want a Batgirl figure but I don't bashing a figure and it's thread because it's not what I wanted.

Trump would have to pay more for his hair.

Or go without.

trumpwig.jpg

Is that Donald Trump

I am torn here because I love Hot Toys and am actually genuinely excited about the Die Cast Mark V. I still feel the need, however, to be somewhat critical of them because I truly wish that they would be a bit more eclectic in their choices...I just picked up the Hot Toys Aldo Raine over the weekend and thought "wow..they will never make anything like this again...imagine Hot Toys making a figure from a Tarantino film?" At the same time I understand why they won't because they are a business first and foremost. It is still a little disappointing though that they are so committed to an exclusive menu of Star Wars and Super Heroes (2 things that I love full disclosure).

Marvel and Star Wars hold zero appeal to me, I only care for their DC stuff now. BTTF2 figures might be the last of the more niche lines they do.

Not for a moment saying they shouldn't make the Marvel and SW stuff but it would be nice if they offered other lines as well. Just be a little less one dimensional.

Hot Toys doesn't make anything I want so I'd love to see them fold. I wouldn't care. Their offerings are ceasing to be a hobby for me because they're not doing anything I want, so it's more fun to criticize them. They're not pushing any new boundaries, they're not innovative and they just keep pumping out the same figures. You look back at previous toy companies or toy lines and they eventually fail for the very same thing, nothing lasts forever. Sideshow Collectibles has the ear marks of a sinking ship, it would be glorious for Hot Toys to go under with them. Don't really care about their business or profit margins, I got interested in them because of the figures that they made that I was interested in (early Terminator, the Joker, 80s classics, niche lines), they're not really doing that anymore. It was fun and I enjoyed collecting and discussing purchases with other collectors.

In their heyday, I'd say 2009-2012, they were pushing the envelope and making some great figures (for everyone, from all licenses). Now they're stuck in just a couple and wasting their time. The DX line is dead, the MMS line is boring, they've covered most of the grail lines and don't seem to have any intention of pursing more since they're sticking with modern blockbusters. The innovations they DO try are horrible failures (COMPACT SCALE, POWER POSE, LIFE SIZE) and the ones that have potential (1/4 scale) are severely neglected. I don't have any sales figures here, but I doubt they're doing as well as they used to. You can't sustain a business with just a bunch of Iron Men and troopers and an average cost of $250-$300 per figure.

Check out the 2017 catalog. It's horrible. You got company shills like Motux and others trying to hype the content in the catalogs up and 98% of it is stuff people have seen before. The pictures aren't even new. I love the order in which they appear too. It really shows how they prioritize their lines. Beginning of the catalog starts with IRON MAN, IRON MAN, AVENGERS, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY REPAINTS, STAR WARS TROOPERS, ROGUE ONE: PANDERING TO ASIA, 1/6 ships we have no intention on really doing for the customer base, Suicide Squad Jokers, then your undesirables like the horrible Alien, ugly Ripley and BTTF. It's a **** show.

They haven't truly wowed me since the DX 13 Arnold set, the '89 Batmobile or the damaged Robocop/Alex Murphy two pack. If there are people here that enjoy eagerly snapping up yet another redo of Iron Man (but this time for $360 and diecast!) or a lame Stormtrooper variant or a $300 Vader with awful electronics that they have to put a ton of time and effort into to look good, or the flavor of the month offerings from awful, awful movies like Suicide Squad, more power to them. I look at their checklist and see an avalanche of crap from the past year, year and a half. If people disagree, whatever.

Last edited:
Hot Toys doesn't make anything I want so I'd love to see them fold. I wouldn't care. Their offerings are ceasing to be a hobby for me because they're not doing anything I want, so it's more fun to criticize them. They're not pushing any new boundaries, they're not innovative and they just keep pumping out the same figures. You look back at previous toy companies or toy lines and they eventually fail for the very same thing, nothing lasts forever. Sideshow Collectibles has the ear marks of a sinking ship, it would be glorious for Hot Toys to go under with them. Don't really care about their business or profit margins, I got interested in them because of the figures that they made that I was interested in (early Terminator, the Joker, 80s classics, niche lines), they're not really doing that anymore. It was fun and I enjoyed collecting and discussing purchases with other collectors.

In their heyday, I'd say 2009-2012, they were pushing the envelope and making some great figures (for everyone, from all licenses). Now they're stuck in just a couple and wasting their time. The DX line is dead, the MMS line is boring, they've covered most of the grail lines and don't seem to have any intention of pursing more since they're sticking with modern blockbusters. The innovations they DO try are horrible failures (COMPACT SCALE, POWER POSE, LIFE SIZE) and the ones that have potential (1/4 scale) are severely neglected. I don't have any sales figures here, but I doubt they're doing as well as they used to. You can't sustain a business with just a bunch of Iron Men and troopers and an average cost of $250-$300 per figure.

Check out the 2017 catalog. It's horrible. You got company shills like Motux and others trying to hype the content in the catalogs up and 98% of it is stuff people have seen before. The pictures aren't even new. I love the order in which they appear too. It really shows how they prioritize their lines. Beginning of the catalog starts with IRON MAN, IRON MAN, AVENGERS, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY REPAINTS, STAR WARS TROOPERS, ROGUE ONE: PANDERING TO ASIA, 1/6 ships we have no intention on really doing for the customer base, Suicide Squad Jokers, then your undesirables like the horrible Alien, ugly Ripley and BTTF. It's a **** show.

They haven't truly wowed me since the DX 13 Arnold set, the '89 Batmobile or the damaged Robocop/Alex Murphy two pack. If there are people here that enjoy eagerly snapping up yet another redo of Iron Man (but this time for $360 and diecast!) or a lame Stormtrooper variant or a $300 Vader with awful electronics that they have to put a ton of time and effort into to look good, or the flavor of the month offerings from awful, awful movies like Suicide Squad, more power to them. I look at their checklist and see an avalanche of crap from the past year, year and a half. If people disagree, whatever.

Then what company and or figure is peaking your interest?

It's fine to have your own opinion but to wish ill will towards them because you don't like their output when others do is a bit silly to say the least and sort of selfish. I don't like everything they put out but there's a lot that I still enjoy including from the big lines like Star Wars (mostly Original Trilogy) and some Marvel and DC stuff. They also manage to surprise me on occasion with figures like Marty, Doc, Ripley, etc. I do wish there was some more variety but overall I can't complain too much as I do find stuff in their catalog to enjoy. If you don't it's fine and no one is making you buy any of it but a lot of us still do.

Then what company and or figure is peaking your interest?

None really. My latest purchases have been the Enterbay T-800, Robocop and the NECA Mayor Penguin. I used to spend thousands on collectibles for any given year and that's fallen dramatically. With Hot Toys I feel like a benched player that isn't being put back into the game. :lol

As far as collecting goes, I'm kind of aimless now. I got all the vintage stuff I wanted, got all the high end I wanted. I went back and picked up a couple of Hot Wheels elite 1:18 vehicles I missed, but beyond that nothing. I've also been buying old model kits anddoing paint and model work on those along with fabric/cape making. I've been watching what Mezco is doing with their one:12 line but so far I've only gotten their Frank Miller TDKR batman variant with nothing interesting on the horizon. Same with NECA, NECA seems to be in the same position Hot Toys is in but instead of garish Iron Man and troopers figures, it's Predator and Alien.

Looking to buy my first (and last) Prime 1 statue. Will probably be a Keaton Batman or Terminator assuming it looks good.

None really. My latest purchases have been the Enterbay T-800, Robocop and the NECA Mayor Penguin. I used to spend thousands on collectibles for any given year and that's fallen dramatically. With Hot Toys I feel like a benched player that isn't being put back into the game. :lol

As far as collecting goes, I'm kind of aimless now. I got all the vintage stuff I wanted, got all the high end I wanted. I went back and picked up a couple of Hot Wheels elite 1:18 vehicles I missed, but beyond that nothing. I've also been buying old model kits anddoing paint and model work on those along with fabric/cape making. I've been watching what Mezco is doing with their one:12 line but so far I've only gotten their Frank Miller TDKR batman variant with nothing interesting on the horizon. Same with NECA, NECA seems to be in the same position Hot Toys is in but instead of garish Iron Man and troopers figures, it's Predator and Alien.

Looking to buy my first (and last) Prime 1 statue. Will probably be a Keaton Batman or Terminator assuming it looks good.

You bought EB's Robo?

It has me curios as to what you think of it. I wish I would've waited on a sale (which I'm assuming you did).

That's about the dumbest thing ever

That suck you can't enjoy your hobby. I was looking to get into statues the SS Huntress but the EX just went on waitlist and I wanted to use RP.

Back