WGP's Classic Battlestar Galactica thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Dirk Benedict/Richard Hatch interest thread

Nose is about right imho opinion but the furrow in the brow doesnt scream starbuck getting the likeness right is 90% capturing the soul is harder :)

More happiness for me in the expression hatch was the moody one :)

Thanks for the thoughts guys, and the comments, Moon. I guess I should clarify we are going for a serious look because he's fun in downtime but serious (and more "Why me?" or "WTH?") when in danger and there are Cylons out there for us to army build for him to get into firefights with.

-Rick

I'm sorry. I think I want this sculpt as much, if not more, than most but I just don't see Dirk Benedict as Starbuck there. If I would have been shown the image free of the thread I would have gotten Starbuck out of it, but my first thought would not have been of Benedict.

I definitely think it looks like Benedict, but I'm still getting more of a Faceman vibe from it. I think maybe the hair needs to be a bit longer in the back and the facial features smoothed out just a bit to shave a few years off.

I think it is a good start, but maybe the the face in general needs to be a bit longer. The nose definitely needs to be longer and the tip a lot thinner. I think the jaw also needs to be just a little sharper. In the WGP test pics, the middle one in particular (small 3/4 profile shot next to the WGP logo) looks way more like Harrison Ford than DB and that just ain't right.

I think the likeness it definitely hiding in there, but it just needs to be teased out a little bit more.

I think it is a good start, but maybe the the face in general needs to be a bit longer. The nose definitely needs to be longer and the tip a lot thinner. I think the jaw also needs to be just a little sharper. In the WGP test pics, the middle one in particular (small 3/4 profile shot next to the WGP logo) looks way more like Harrison Ford than DB and that just ain't right.

I think the likeness it definitely hiding in there, but it just needs to be teased out a little bit more.

I think the same. But great WIP!

Thanks everyone! We'll we going back into him and doing more work. Your thoughts are appreciated!

-Rick :)

Put me down as interested in one of each character. I still have an outstanding pre-order with Amok Time, but something tells me I should make alternate arrangements...

Put me down as interested in one of each character. I still have an outstanding pre-order with Amok Time, but something tells me I should make alternate arrangements...

Gotcha down!

Here is the final version of Starbuck by our lead artist and studio co-founder Sean Dabbs (barring minor adjustments that might be done to the hair.) I like this version a lot better. What do you guys think?

-Rick :)

starbuck.gif

starbuck-3.gif

starbuck-2.gif

Last edited:

Still don't see Benedict in there. Sorry. Maybe once I see one painted up.

Still don't see Benedict in there. Sorry. Maybe once I see one painted up.

No need to apologize - he needs to be recognised as a raw sculpt before the paint goes on - if he doesn't , well thats my fault and means I still have more work to do :)

For me is perfect. That is Dirk Benedict 100%.

For me is perfect. That is Dirk Benedict 100%.

Right - now I'm confused :lol

Here is another pic - come on guys - you need to speak up and tell me what you think - this is for you after all ;)

morepics.jpg

I have been looking forward to this sculpt for quite some time. It is seeable that the sculpt is the original Starbuck, the character is definitely there, but not Benedict. If all these other folks truly see it then go with it.
I'll wait for another.

perhaps his mouth is off?

picture.php

I say that for me that is Dirk Benedict, that is a good HS with style, and for me that is important. sure the haircut is the one from the Tv series, in the pilot his hair was longer, but it is Dirk Benedict, and works both for Starbuck and for Face Customs. I like it.

I still think the whole face needs to be a bit longer. I think the features are there, but the heads needs to be stretched out a little bit so they are in the right place. I guess it kind of look scrunched up to me and everything needs to be a bit flatter or something.

I think the angles on the mock-up images are a little weird also making it hard to tell how long the nose really is, how far it is from the upper lip, real angle of the chin etc.. If we could see one of those pictures that draws lines from the various features of the actual guy to their corresponding features on the mock-up it would help me a lot to figure out why it seems a little bit off.

Starbuck of course, always had fabulous space surfer hair, but on the sculpt here it is so solid looking it kind of makes it hard to look at the face because all you can see is his massive hair.

Back