Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two horns, one on each side of his head is supposed to be missing, as easily seen in the movies as well.

The two small ridges above his eyes, are not supposed to be missing and if they are it is a qc issue.

https://i.imgur.com/09CBkIW.jpg

"This incredible statue is truly king under the mountain - he has continued his popularity with collectors across the world and we have now sold out the next two shipments!

We are doing our very best to produce to demand, and if you place an order now, we still have some left in our July shipment.

But possibly not for long..."

From Wetas latest newsletter. Seems to be selling well, won't have mine till April though.

QUESTION: someone who has this statue please compare yours to mine and tell me I mine is damaged:

the issue if the two front claws/talons of the dragon. On the right claw, there are three prominent long claws that extend from the wing going over the gold pile. On the left side there are two prominent long claws that extend from the wing and a third that appears to have been chopped and is stunted or much shorter like a nub. I ask because it DOES NOT appear to have broken off and is painted over cleanly and is smooth. But its driving me crazy causing me to wonder if it was a factory error - somebody broke it - did not want to get pinched - and covered it up as best they could.

Please advise.

Or it could be that he was missing that claw in the movie. Either way, I think you are good.

I saw that when I had unpacked mine and was afraid it was damaged but when I
looked at the official pics from Weta I could see that it's supposed to be that way.

xweta01436_b-600x600.jpg

Larger image here.

This is apparently one of Weta's fastest selling pieces ever. If you order today you are lucky to get into the July shipment. Seems to be selling noticeably faster then the balrog who is also flying off the shelves pretty fast.

I'm not surprised if this sells out already during summer.

If you take care of the box and Styrofoam it is still shippable, but naturally it will be a lot more expensive to get it through 2nd market then now.

Basically, get it now or miss out, unless your wallet is very deep.

Personally I'm still not jumping on this due to the paint jobs in hand being so far below the prototype, there are honestly $20 toy dinosaurs with better shading and toning then what I've seen so far. It seems the factory painters are rushed or something like that. Which if the case is such a shame since the rest of the statue is 10/10 across the board.

Personally I'd rather wait another quarter to get it delivered if that meant the factory could take their time painting such a large and complex piece properly.

If you take care of the box and Styrofoam it is still shippable, but naturally it will be a lot more expensive to get it through 2nd market then now.

Personally I'm still not jumping on this due to the paint jobs in hand being so far below the prototype, there are honestly $20 toy dinosaurs with better shading and toning then what I've seen so far. It seems the factory painters are rushed or something like that. Which if the case is such a shame since the rest of the statue is 10/10 across the board.

Personally I'd rather wait another quarter to get it delivered if that meant the factory could take their time painting such a large and complex piece properly.

I think you are being a bit harsh about the paint job. I posted pictures of mine and it is pretty nice. These are mass produced statues, not some custom that you get an artist to paint for $500-$1000.

That's exaggeration and hyperbole at the highest levels. I have mine and the paint job on it is fantastic.

I'm a little under impressed with the paint app on mine but definitely it isn't a "$20 toy" paint app. Maybe many (including myself) had some crazy expectation about the paint app on this piece. As people have mentioned before a pro painter would probable charge as much as the statue cost itself for a quality job (like the proto). It is a difficult paint app and as a result the factory was unable to reproduce it.

I'm not 100% happy with mine, but I like it and I'm keeping it.

I think we all desire the stellar proto paint jobs on our statues, but it's not realistic to expect it. Not that it can't be done, XM statues for example. This was a difficult paint app, but it wasn't an epic failure by any means. For that, check out the SSC Carnotaurus repaint.

For say 500$ I'd have nothing to say. And the paint job is not horrible, but you have to have pretty low standards to compare most in hand photos with the prototype and chalk it down to "variations" due to individually painted pieces. For $750 paint job should be on the same level as the rest of the product, which is top notch.

It is not a particular difficult paint job, save that there is a lot of dragon to paint. Take for example the Thror on throne piece, I've seen it in hand and its as well painted as the prototype, down to all the minuscule gold lines on his costume, same for Azog on warg, his eyes look lifelike in hand, etc etc.

Just google "papo t rex" or "rebor t rex", a couple mass produced pieces at ~30 and ~65 dollars respectively and tell me those are not on par if not even better paint jobs then most in hand photos of Smaug.

Back