WAR MACHINE custom decals applied to my HT figure, finally!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick, getting them off is easy, with regular Testor's paint thinner in a bottle.
If you applied them using my tutorial, you can dissolve the gloss coat and dull coat with the thinner, and it's totally harmless to the plastic.

@ cheeseman69 and taylerdurdem: The new sales thread with ordering instructions is here:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87406

The decals arrived, and I must say the result is very nice.
The printing process I used is extremely faithful to the original photoshop images. The decals are good and bright too.
My War Machine feels complete now!
Thank you to all my customers past present and future at the other thread!
What do you think, people?

Damn these look great!:clap

I ordered these from anthrapoid a while back and hes been very diligent about providing updates to inform us of the status of our preorders. So big thumbs up to anthrapoid and a huge thanks!

Ok just my 2 cents, I honeslty recommend that people read his instructions first and:

1) think about whats involved with this mod. I jumped the bandwagon when he first offered these decals and didnt realize the work involved (E.g.) removing the original Emblem on the side of WM. Its something to honestly consider since once you do it, that part is irreversible.

2)consider getting 2 of the decals (sadly i only ordered 1), especially if your a novice like myself when it comes down to applying decals. Its been a long time since i tried doing decals and from my experience based on the fragility of the decals, once you screw up then your gonna end up sitting there waiting for a replacment.

I am looking forward to getting these decals and even as straight forward as the instructions anthrapoid, it still comes down to a question of comfort and familiarity.

Right now Im on the fence if i should do the mod. Im a little reluctant,for fear im gonna mess up or not be happy with the results "I" produce and bang my head against the wall after spending so much on the figure in the 1st place.

Perhaps, ill wait a bit before applying the decals and see posted pics and testimonial on thier experiences

Blkmagik73, I feel your pain...
However, the best way to feel confident in doing this is to rehearse.
After you set up the work area with all the stuff, just go through the steps one by one,
to get the steps clear in your head.
About the ED445 to be removed:
Yes, once it's done it can't be reversed. But, that decal doesn't belong on the figure at all!
So, even if you chicken out later on applying the decals,
I think NO decal is better than the WRONG decal, in my opinion.
Honestly, if you go through the tutorial and familiarize yourself with the steps,
then do them one at a time and take a break between, it will work out alright.
I did the whole application in about 30 minutes, but you can take your time.
If you have any questions, just ask.

Thanks for the words of encouragement anthrapoid. I think based on my previous experience, the most difficult part was separating the decal from the backing. Its a very delicate proceedure, Like you mentioned in your instructions there is the possiblity of the decal folding in on itself before application or it tearing. I guess those are my biggest fears.

Thanks for the words of encouragement anthrapoid. I think based on my previous experience, the most difficult part was separating the decal from the backing.
If you just let the decal soak FACE UP at the bottom of the bowl, it will separate all by itself.
Then you just need to test it with the brush, and slide it a little to one side.
Then stab the paper with the hobby knife, bring it to the surface, and lift from under with the wet brush. (see tutorial)

First and foremost i want to thank Anthrapoid for the wonderful decals. I hope you got enough positive feedback to get your money sooner from paypal.

Moving on, I decided to take the plunge and do the mod. Its quite a learning experience. Not really that hard if you follow Anthrapoid's guide. One word of warning though, if you do decide to use the debonder and its your 1st time. Don't scrub too hard! After putting 3 drops of the debonder agent on a Q-tip (which at first didn't seem a lot) and rubbing off the paint. the original ED445 decal began to smear and fade. Unfortunately i guess i was rubbing too hard and i began to notice the area i was rubbing was getting dark, almost to a black. It was a small spot but still somewhat noticeable. I don't have the same experience as Anthrapoid as this was my first run. Fortunately the discolored are was right were the decal was suppose to go so i was able to hide it. So just was a word of warning don rub too hard.

Separating the decal in water and applying it, turned out to be easy in comparison to my past experience. One word of note, id recommend using a dry soft brush to soak up the extra water once you have it in place and not blow it in hopes that it would dry. I blew too hard and one of the decal flew off somewhere. LOL. Fortunately there's enough spares to fix it. Right now I'm letting it dry before adding the final dull coat.

One question though for Anthrapoid. Regarding the shoulder guard on the right arm. You mentioned you glued a fine cloth under to prevent it from scratching the decal. I'm curious, would the smooth surface of electric tape also work to prevent the guard from scratching the decal as an alternative option?

Just got the decals thanks a bunch Anthrapoid. These decals are very well made. I'll try to put them on this weekend, just need to buy some of the materials you recommended.

Back