Victim of VISA scam: Help and Suggestions needed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf873

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As title states, recently I have been a victim of some sort of a scam and I need guidance. I actually wanted to buy a product that I saw listed in one of the local ads that are posted online, you know something like Craig's list, but it was not through craig's list, it's just an example.

So I call this place and place an order by phone using my VISA. I talked to them about their business before giving them my card no., and they sounded legit. However, now I find it out someone had gone ahead and made 2 purchases using my VISA which were not made by me.

Upon hearing this I called VISA and canceled my card, and then I try to call this business place again and after about a 10th try I finally get the guy on the phone. He says he knows nothing of this (of the purchases made by my card) and that my order hadn't gone through because my VISA required my signature. Then I ask him to cancel my order but he hesitates and says why do I want it canceled after he had finished packing it for shipment? I told him "so"....and then he responded by saying something along the line of "What's with the attitude man, don't take that with me I know where you live!"

I tell him there's no attitude I just simply want it canceled because I have just been a victim of a scam. He tells me he understands and tells me what to do in this situation as it happened to him as well. He agreed though, I hope.

*There were no receipts or faxes received as well.

Alright, so upon hearing this, what do you guys think is my best option here. I'm planning on opening a dispute with my bank and see if they can help me out of this problem but I can't help but feel I lack certain things to help me win this over. Also, when that guy said "I know where you live", should I take that as a threat? The guy did seem to understand my predicament later on though.

Any help would be appreciated.

You need to get on the phone with your cc company immediately. Explain what is happening and tell them you want the charge(s) taken off if he doesn't refund you immediately.

So you were buying something from someone (not a company) and they said you could use a credit card? Yeah, that's not a good idea.

Yeah, I'd dispute the charges, the credit card company will investigate. As far as the "I know where you live" thing, I'm betting it was something to try and scare you to continue the transaction, not that they'll do something about it. If you're really nervous about it, you can call the police but it's up to you if it sounded like it was serious enough.

i wouldnt panic over this. you just need to let your bank know (if your card was issued thru your bank) that you didn't authorize these transactions & they will probably have you come in and sign an affidavit stating that. then they will persue or at least report the scammers (depending on the amount anyway). what sucks though is that you will need to be re-issued a new card and sometimes that can take a while. when it happened to me a some time back i had to wait 10 or 12 days for a new card. good luck.

They are a company as far their word goes. Well I did hear a door chime when I was talking with them over the phone, you know the ones when someone enters through the door. But the guy claims he does not know anything about it, so there's nothing to refund on his part. I didn't authorize those transactions that occurred, but I did authorize the amount for the product. I called my cc company and they told me to wait until the transaction appears on my account, then they can do something about it, not now. Also, VISA lady said since I don't have any proof of this other than the phone call; my case might be a tricky one, but she encouraged me to file the dispute anyway.

If he cancelled your order, then you shouldn't be charged for it. The other transactions, your CC company should be able to take care of that.

What really has me worried is when he said "I know where you live". Even though he said it because he thought I was coming on with an attitude, it still unnerved me a bit. Still, my cc company will be issuing me a new card soon, so I'm not that worried about the money. And I want to avoid going to the cops just yet, because I'm sure they'll want to open a file.

Back