Universal's Wolfman Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, lol. I'm an 70's-80's horror fan. Thats where my experteees lie. :D

So, what was intense and scary in 1941, would not be intense or scary in 2010.

Ok, lol. I'm an 70's-80's horror fan. Thats where my experteees lie. :D

So, what was intense and scary in 1941, would not be intense or scary in 2010.
To which I answer: "Hogwash!"

The only people who can't recognize intensity or scariness in a 1941 movie are those who are so desensitized to violence and gore that they aren't really capable of objectivity.

And, as far as a PG-13 film not being capable of being intense or scary, anyone who tries to say that Return of the King was not intense, or had a "kiddie" feel to it, either never saw the film or is a flat-out liar. The same goes for The Dark Knight.

In the hands of a skilled director, a PG-13 (or even PG) film can be more than adequately intense.

Well, the film has it's offical rating. So what does it matter now? All that remains to do is to actually see the thing and maybe reserve judging it for after that.

RoboDad, never once did I "insult you."
Either way, I have as little interest in your opinion as you do mine. So let's leave it at that. I'm ready for this movie. If you're going to let the rating ruin it for you, that is your loss.

I was pretty surprised by that comment too. If anyone was doing the insulting it certainly wasn't you. :confused:

As for the rating on this one I don't have the slightest problem with it. If people don't like it they have the option of not watching it. The last thing I want is another Mummy fiasco. As for those who say the UM movies of the 30's and 40's were suitable for children during that era, you are kidding yourselves....they were never meant for kids.

Would a horror movie about a wolfman do well with todays audiance if there was no gore and violence involved. Maybe if it was someting phycological but otherwise I don't know. I mean sure I could watch it and I'm sure most classic monster movie fans would but would the movie make much money ?.

Regardless even with intesity and scareiness added why not add a little gore , ecspecially with todays tech. Unless it makes your squeemish all it adds is realism and a little excitment to scenes.

It would be worse if this wasn't rated R belive me. Think of what happened to horror/sci-fi classics alien and predator when they were put together in AVP.
It was made pg 13 so kids would buy into it and they could sell toys to them , this pretty much ruined what could have been an awesome movie the first time round.

The fact that there not making this a kids film is a miracle really. The mummy was and that turned out OK at best.

It would be worse if this wasn't rated R belive me. Think of what happened to horror/sci-fi classics alien and predator when they were put together in AVP.
It was made pg 13 so kids would buy into it and they could sell toys to them , this pretty much ruined what could have been an awesome movie the first time round.

Exactly. Like I said before, with the exception of very few movies, most of today's PG-13 movies just have a certain feel to them that R movies usually don't have. If Universal decided this movie should be a PG-13 movie, it would have ended up being more run of the mill garbage with Ben Stiller as Talbot, fart jokes and tons of crappy CG.

I'm 25. When I grew up, I loved things like the Friday and Halloween movies. I still love those films, but I didn't truly love Universal Horror until I hit my early 20s. They bored the crap out of me when I was younger and it took me a long time to truly appreciate them. But now I love both styles of horror, and I'm hoping that this movie will be able to mix the two into something real fun for this generation.

Some people are disappointed that this is going to be a gory film because now they can't turn their own kids on to the Universal Monsters that they loved when they were kids. I say that those films are something that kids are going either like or not like depending on their level of maturity and their appreciation of film in context.

I'm a lot more confident that this movie will be great than, say, The Mummy movies, Van Helsing, AVP, and all the other PG-13 junk that has flooded the market for a long time.

By the way, I called at least 12 Blockbusters looking for the figure, and the last one--the farthest away--has them. Why did so few stores get these?

It is probably just too early. I'm sure most/all stores will get them, they just don't have them yet. Toy collectors have tried to figure out toy distribution for years and the answer is that there is just no logical order to them. Its totally random.

I agree! It's a great mystery. One thing I learned that could be helpful to others is that one Blockbuster clerk said he thinks only Blockbuster corporate stores will get them. Apparently there are very few in my area that are corporate stores, and the rest are franchises.

My nearest Blocbuster has been closing for over a month now and I know they've gotten exclusives before. I just hope my next closest one does as well.

Not to change the subject but how is blockbuster still going ?. I have a local one that I visit now and then and theres barely anyone ever in there , on top of that they seem to charge crazy prices. I'm suprised with the ability to download and stream movies now that rental places like blockbuster stay open.

I just got back from my 60 mile round trip trek for the Wolfman figure. I'm not always a fan of Mezco products, but I feel like they've knocked it out of the park with this figure!

He looks more realistic than their other figures. The blood spattering is different on each one, so I picked the one I thought looked the best. Cool stuff. Plus, my girlfriend found an old Blockbuster gift card in her purse, so I got it for just $10. I'm happy...

I just got back from my 60 mile round trip trek for the Wolfman figure. I'm not always a fan of Mezco products, but I feel like they've knocked it out of the park with this figure!

He looks more realistic than their other figures. The blood spattering is different on each one, so I picked the one I thought looked the best. Cool stuff. Plus, my girlfriend found an old Blockbuster gift card in her purse, so I got it for just $10. I'm happy...

Nearly the same story for me too. Except I only went to one Blockbuster (not my closest one though since it is closing) and they had at least 10 or 12 there. The paint differed only slightly piece to piece though. I'm still not sure what exactly of the figure is the "Blockbuster Exclusive" though. Maybe just the sticker? :lol

Oh, and I too had a $5 gift card so, $10 for me too :D

I really don't know. Do we know for sure that the bloody version is a variant in regular cases? I've seen one on ebay without the BB sticker, but the seller could easily have taken it off.

To which I answer: "Hogwash!"

The only people who can't recognize intensity or scariness in a 1941 movie are those who are so desensitized to violence and gore that they aren't really capable of objectivity.

And, as far as a PG-13 film not being capable of being intense or scary, anyone who tries to say that Return of the King was not intense, or had a "kiddie" feel to it, either never saw the film or is a flat-out liar. The same goes for The Dark Knight.

In the hands of a skilled director, a PG-13 (or even PG) film can be more than adequately intense.

Not in this day and age. PG = Kids stuff. Its not a rating anymore, its a demographic.

There's a nice piece about this in the new issue of Fango. If it's worth it's weight in words, it seems like they're staying true to the original story and just updating it (not in the vein of The Mummy, but moreso in the vein of Stoker's Dracula and Shelly's Frankenstein). And while there is more blood in it, it's being used "believably."

There's a nice piece about this in the new issue of Fango. If it's worth it's weight in words, it seems like they're staying true to the original story and just updating it (not in the vein of The Mummy, but moreso in the vein of Stoker's Dracula and Shelly's Frankenstein). And while there is more blood in it, it's being used "believably."

Sounds superb to me!

happy about the R rating as well.
I understand everyone's POV, but movies are made for the times / frame of mind of the current time.

Desensitized? yes. We are. It is what it is. Cant live in the past.

Cant wait to see this :rock :rock :rock

Back