Universal's Wolfman Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not worried about any of that until I've seen it, and are able to determine what unfolds. I think Del Toro does have his heart in the right place for this homage perhaps, rather than tribute. In any case the film has an outstanding director and cast and the trailer looks superb. It's got me ready to go see it, and regardless of any opinions or arguments I think most here will be going along to see it as well.

Likely if the MPAA ratings had existed back then, the oldschool Universals would've been R as well.

No, they wouldn't. The way the Hays code worked, nothing that exceeded the content of a PG film would have been allowed, even by the standards of that time.

Look, I'm not saying that a gory movie is, in and of itself, a horrible thing (I would have to turn in my Dead collectors club card if that were the case ;)). But I have been holding this film to a very, very high standard, mostly because the original Lon Chaney version is my all-time favorite Universal Monster film, hands down. I am just profoundly disappointed that they took the new film in the direction they did, rather than truly honoring the original.

Still not sure about this R business. Wolf Man should be a tragedy first and foremost. If blood and guts are added, it could be cool, I guess, but this story could be told without all that and still be just as effective.

RoboDad, never once did I "insult you."

Either way, I have as little interest in your opinion as you do mine. So let's leave it at that. I'm ready for this movie. If you're going to let the rating ruin it for you, that is your loss.

No, they wouldn't. The way the Hays code worked, nothing that exceeded the content of a PG film would have been allowed, even by the standards of that time.

Look, I'm not saying that a gory movie is, in and of itself, a horrible thing (I would have to turn in my Dead collectors club card if that were the case ;)). But I have been holding this film to a very, very high standard, mostly because the original Lon Chaney version is my all-time favorite Universal Monster film, hands down. I am just profoundly disappointed that they took the new film in the direction they did, rather than truly honoring the original.

I'm not surprised. Look what they did to The Mummy. :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

I haven't bothered looking into the new Wolfman besides the trailer. I've avoided others spoilers so far, and trailers always make the most of it. Part of the marketing maybe, just as an R rating seems to attract interest and provoke conversation, and these days, blood and gore is all part of that marketing aspect.

It's a new Wolfman movie for a new audience. An audience that wouldn't probably bother too much with the original. I'm betting, whichever way it goes, it's still going to be a good movie. It's probably good that it doesn't follow the original, just so the original stays intact, with it's place in history. Del Toro is an artist and, I expect, would like to have some control and imprint on his work. It's happens all the time. Superman, Batman whatever, the story changes, the costumes etc and die hard fans are unwilling to change but can later see the merit in how things turn out. The oldies cling to nostalgia and the newbs will have a new fervor for this Wolfman. It's all good.

That's your opinion. Mine is that ramping up gore to satisfy that pathetic desensitized, puerile tastes of some "horror" fans is the real bull. That is what is insulting to me. I am far from a "tween", but don't need in-your-face, over-the-top splatter to be entertained. I have an imagination.

"Real fans." Feh.

I for one DO NOT LIKE "R" for this film, Or any other upcoming Monster Remake! True classics DO NOT need to be splatterfests to capture our imaginations and strike fear into our hearts. People are more fearful of the unknown.

Last edited:
I for one DO NOT LIKE "R" for this film, Or any other upcoming Monster Remake! True classics DO NOT need to be splatterfests to capture our imaginations and strike fear into our hearts. People are more fearful of the unknown.

A prolonged shot of nipples, too many carcasses, overall dark theme or brief full frontal male nudity (werewolf transformation) could result in the R rating. It doesn't have to be gore.

A prolonged shot of nipples, too many carcasses, overall dark theme or brief full frontal male nudity (werewolf transformation) could result in the R rating. It doesn't have to be gore.

As a general rule, that is true. However, as I already mentioned above (taken directly from filmratings.com):

The MPAA reason for for the rating is "for bloody horror violence and gore."

So, in this case, it very definitely is because of gore.

Oh and anyone interested-Blockbuster has an exclusive mezco wolfman available now for $15. My blockbuster is stocked.

Morbach I would love one those exclusive mezco wolfman. My Blockbuster does not have them.:monkey2 Would you mind picking one up? I would pay you for it. Please PM me the info on the exclusive mezco wolfman. I would like to know what it is. Thanks

I dont understand how you could even have a werewolf movie without it being rated R :confused: If this was broadway or somethin, then maybe.........

I feel like with the exception of Dark Knight (which feels like it's always one or two edits away from an R rating), PG-13 movies have a certain kiddy feel to them. It isn't even about what they show or don't show, as much as they approach they take to making them. If anything, the R rating shows me they will be taking a more adult approach to telling the story, instead of something silly like the Mummy movies.

Don't care about rating as long as the movie is great. As for the figure, I called BB and asked if they had them in stock---Yes, we have the 12" wolfman figures in stock-- show to find no they don't. Only had the 7" in stock. Got one anyways-looks cool.

Why wouldnt this be R? If someone gets eaten, they better get destroyed. What was intense in the 30's would not be intense now.

If it was anything less then an R...man, what a boring flick that would be. It would be more Twilight then Scary Werewolf.

Back