Underwater Love

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alice Adrenochrome

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the SSW polystone figures react when they are... under water??? Can a painted polistone figure be placed in a fish tank? Picture this: Sauron as part of a underwater environment, surrounded by tiny fishes... Could this be done? Would the figure/paint pollute the water and kill the fish?

If its not toxic i know many of them are hollow so it may not even sit on the bottom. I know I am not going to try with a sauron maybe a pippin bust.

Picture this: Sauron as part of a underwater environment, surrounded by tiny fishes...
:horror :google

whoa.. first of all.. that's one REALLY expensive fishtank "ornament"!!!

It's definitely a shocking concept... but depending on the setup.. it could be interesting.

I'd also think the paint wouldn't necessarily harm the fish, but then you'd also have to remember that fish crap and grunge/algae/slime would grow onto the sauron statue, and I bet if you had and algae eater fish and it started sucking on the sauron statue, it might not be too healthy.

Plus then you'd never get the sauron statue clean again.. it'd likely be permi-wrecked.

Final thought- that'd be one HUGE FISHTANK....

But on the whole, the question is a legit one, and I am very curious to hear what other people think. Perminently submerging a statue in water.

Years ago, i've seen a figure of an Alien, which was especially mend for placing in a fish tank, or, at least under water. I don't recall the material it was made of, but i liked the idea. The figure was inspired by the underwater scene in Alien resurrection. I think a LOTR figure would be a real eye catcher in a fish tank, IF it is safe that is...

I think a LOTR figure would be a real eye catcher in a fish tank, IF it is safe that is...

*thinks of large One Ring half burried under dirt and rocks, surrounded by plants and fish*

jimmyjamesf said:
If its not toxic i know many of them are hollow so it may not even sit on the bottom. I know I am not going to try with a sauron maybe a pippin bust.

Yes, Sauron might be a bit 'over the top' (although he would be heavy enough for sure!), but Pippin is just right! Are you sure that the figures are hollow? I've just seen a photo of a smashed Galadriel, didn't look hollow. Besides, you can always use something to "burden" the figure so it'll stay on the bottom, can't you? Since the figure is 'ruined' anyway (dirt, algae, etc, ...) you can glue it to the base. Makes it heavier.

I dont know I think it would be kind of cool to see it in a fish tank.

Ok, I just put my Sauron in the bathtub to give it a try. It had a problem sinking, but put rocks over the base you should be good. The paint stayed on ok, but the biggest problem was my 2 year old got sick off the polystone "fumes" Sauron put off in the water.

So I probaby wouldn't do it.

Sauron in the water

Please do not do this. The manufacturer doe snot recommend using the item in away it was never intended to be used for.

Best,
Chicky :horror

Chicky said:
Please do not do this. The manufacturer doe snot recommend using the item in away it was never intended to be used for.

Best,
Chicky :horror

Chicky said snot!!!!

Hehe, I was going to do this with my Hasbro Deep Suit Sea Diver and my SS Creature from the Black Lagoon. I'd listen to Chicky though, for the sake of the poor fish anyway. If you do decide to go for it, good luck, maybe post some pictures for us that are too scared and sane to try. :naughty

Adding PVC or Urethane to a fish tank would just be cruel. Imported products contain all kinds of toxic fumes that would not be legal to put into products made in the USA.

This subject was covered when Sideshow was asked about offering actual Sideshow paints for custom figures.

Remember the baby teething ring scandal a few years ago?

Maybe SS would be willing to donate a slightly damaged Sauron to Letterman for "Will It Float....Will It Float". :banana
Great PR for SS.

The "Will It Float" segment usually airs on Letterman on Friday night. At least I think it's only on Friday. Keep in mind that it is pure satire, but it's always fun to watch.
Here is what Wikipedia has to say about it.........
Will It Float?
In this segment, an item is dropped into a tank of water by two attractive models. Before this happens, announcer Alan Kalter reads off the name of the item that will be tested and what prize Letterman and Shaffer are competing for. A picture of that prize is flashed on screen for a split second. The prize is never actually awarded to anyone. The two then discuss whether the item will float or sink.

Two models drop the item into the tank while the Late Show "Hula Hoop Girl" and "Grinder Girl" perform on either side of the tank.

According to Letterman, the idea for the skit supposedly came from a BBC programme entitled "Is It Buoyant?" He also advertises the (fictional) "Will It Float" home game, which has everything you need in a box to play the game for only $19.99. The box comprises of only the box and a sheet of paper (which suggests what items to use in the game). After the game is over, Letterman often makes reference to the big "Will It Float?" party to take place after the show.

Usually there is a chance that something will actually float though. Don't think that's the case with Sauron. Maybe Thunderball Bond though....?

Back