Tyrannosaurus rex maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no such dinosaur (What was it... a camarasaurus skull on an apatosaurus body?). Scar, I'm surprised you didn't catch this little error ^_^

:lol To be fair, that debate isn't entirely over, at least according to Bakker. When Marsh discovered "Brontosaurus" it was lacking its head, segments of its tail, and feet; using numerous other sauropods these missing pieces were constructed, but the debut and name "Brontosaurus" used when unveiled to the public stuck when it was dubbed another dinosaur media darling. Brontosaurus, or as Marsh wanted it scientifically known, Apatosaurus excelsus, was the name officially used originally by the scientific community but has long since been abandoned; the name is still used widely throughout pop culture and rooted an unpleasant foothold when USPS issued their famous Dinosaur Stamps back in the '80s. "Brontosaurus" remains plastered all over plastic baggies filled with miniature dinosaurs for kids; it just makes sense that when people think of their favorite dinosaurs from their youths, that name will unfortunately crop up since it's a term to which kids are still erroneously exposed.

To Bakker's credit, though, he's not alone in stating that A.ajax and A.excelsus are not in fact conspecifics but two distinct genera. He and others have actually published a good deal of intriguing work on the matter including rather in-depth recorded comparative analysis of centra, spinous processes, and proximal-distal femur, tibia, and fibula measurements that seem distinct in such a way that one could argue the two are separate, but for me personally they are simply not distinct enough. The separation of genera is a sticky issue, and when precisely two organisms can be said to have diverged into two distinct species is rarely clear cut with ostensibly anatomically identical organisms due to discrepancy among how exactly, based on phylogeny, we can consider them absolutely, beyond the shadow of a doubt, to be distinct. It's not the hodgepodge of bones thrown together to complete the skeleton when unveiled that was, and for some still is, a point of contention, but rather the actual bones that Marsh unearthed. If people call the occasional sauropod Brontosaurus, it won't rankle me, but I would be curious to ask them what they feel makes that animal distinct enough that they warrant it unique and separate from Apatosaurus ajax. :D

The separation of genera is a sticky issue, and when precisely two organisms can be said to have diverged into two distinct species is rarely clear cut with ostensibly anatomically identical organisms due to discrepancy among how exactly, based on phylogeny, we can consider them absolutely, beyond the shadow of a doubt, to be distinct.

i think I need a nap!! :lol

Thanks for the clarification Scar. I had NO idea about the Brontosaurus. When did this whole debate start? Is Brachiosaurus still proven to be real. I don't know if I can have another childhood memory ruined! :lol

I'll check out the Carnotosaurus thread.

i think I need a nap!! :lol

Thanks for the clarification Scar. I had NO idea about the Brontosaurus. When did this whole debate start? Is Brachiosaurus still proven to be real. I don't know if I can have another childhood memory ruined! :lol

I'll check out the Carnotosaurus thread.

The debate started around the turn of the twentieth century and oddly enough is ongoing today. Brachiosaurus is very much real; back in my undergrad vertebrate anatomy class my professor was telling the class that, "Jurassic Park was a great movie, but they got it wrong when you see the sauropod with its neck extended upright rather than horizontally." I had to approach him after class, causing him to amend his statements in the following lecture. And no, I wasn't "that kid" in class :lol; the man actually was and remains my mentor so he didn't have a problem with being told he wasn't entirely correct there, particularly being that he taught me so very much of which I was ignorant.

The sauropods like Apatosaurus are believed to have evolved long horizontal necks not out of need to forage better or from evolutionary constraints via blood pressure (their hearts were enormously powerful), but as responses to counterbalance their tails which evolved long and whip-like as tools to combat predation. The point of my digression here with the Apatosaurus necks and tails (along with mostly all other sauropod species) is that Brachiosaurus lacked such a long tail, removing the evolutionary need to counterbalance, and had a pelvic girdle build like a giraffe, preventing it from holding its neck horizontally. That being said, its neck wouldn't have been held entirely vertical at all times; that would indeed have been far too much strain on even a powerful heart to maintain blood being pumped actively to such a height. Likely the neck would have been bowed if not angled, allowing for it to still feed from great heights, extending its neck when necessary but not maintaining that at all times.

So yes, I assure you, Brachiosaurus was very real. As to the Carnotaurus; I personally find it both anatomically and behaviorally to be by far one of the most fascinating dinosaurs, given what we know about how it lived and hunted. Check out the thread, we have pages of stuff as to why that was an awesome choice for a maquette! :banana

Looks like the dio should be here next Wednesday! :rock I surely hope someone will be here to sign for it while I'm at work...

Some people do not like to old look to the T-rex, but i find it quite interesting. The old T-rex has a story and the years show on his body.

Also, I like the closed mouth look, he is older but deadlier than the others because he is smarter. His face is just MEAN.

He is badass. I just placed my order for him.

Last edited:
Is it too late for a waitlist order on the exclusdise T-rex? Should I just get the regular or take a chance on exclusive?

I'd say jump on the waitlist for the exclusive. Odds favor that there will be some last minute cancellations or credit card declines. That and I always favor having the skull there as well. Considering especially that we'll be getting a few ceratopsians at least, it will be interesting to compare and contrast so as to glean some of the science behind the decisions for the individual pieces.

Back