Top Gun: Maverick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom is really embracing his height these days

7754A9B1-3147-464F-92BB-92B145DF52E2.jpeg

8FB32062-7FDF-45BA-812A-CBBBBEECC86C.jpeg

After seeing this it has to be Cruise, and I'm far from his biggest fan. I would love to see Cruise opposite Keanu in a Heat style crime thriller. I have always liked the first Top Gun film but I'm shocked that this sequel turned out so well in the present day.
Go back and do a prequel using the de-aging software so we can get John Wick vs Vincent from Collateral.

I really enjoyed it. Sure there were a few cheesy moments and some that were a little too carbon copy of the first film, but the flight scenes were done so well and Tom fit right back into the role with ease. Connelly was also perfect as the love interest. It wasn't anything too over the top, but just one that seemed natural.

I haven't seen Top Gun for years, but I think this is just as good, if not better than the original.

Ok, I'm going to nitpick here, the whole opening sequence felt tacked on. Almost like they needed to show carrier footage over the Top Gun anthem and Danger Zone. Once they had that box ticked, they moved to a totally unrelated scene for the actual start of the movie.

Ok, I'm going to nitpick here, the whole opening sequence felt tacked on. Almost like they needed to show carrier footage over the Top Gun anthem and Danger Zone. Once they had that box ticked, they moved to a totally unrelated scene for the actual start of the movie.
I thought it was great and a wonderful homage to the original - anything else would have been not as good.
Also, the F-18s do take off from an aircraft carrier later on.

I thought it was great and a wonderful homage to the original - anything else would have been not as good.
Also, the F-18s do take off from an aircraft carrier later on.
I thought it was great too, just out of place. So if it opened to that, and the next several scenes fed off that (like it did in the original) it would have just fit in better IMO. It's just a hard shift from one location to the middle of a totally different, unrelated location.

Did everyone get that Jennifer Connelly's character Penny was the one mentioned in the first film "Penny Benjamin" - the admiral's daughter?

I didn't when I watched it, and then a friend of mine told me after, and I thought that was brilliant; all of a sudden a throwaway line becomes something significant.

Did everyone get that Jennifer Connelly's character Penny was the one mentioned in the first film "Penny Benjamin" - the admiral's daughter?

I didn't when I watched it, and then a friend of mine told me after, and I thought that was brilliant; all of a sudden a throwaway line becomes something significant.
I only got that reference because me and my wife watched the first Top Gun the night before we watched TGM.

Yeah that was a nice little tie in to the first movie.

I actually caught it the opposite way. Out of all the times I’d seen the original, I never caught it was “Penny Benjamin” they said whenever they referenced Maverick’s and the Admiral’s daughter. I wasn’t until Saturday night when I of course watched the original again, where I was like “wait did Goose just say Penny Benjamin? Ah okay, makes sense now.” That was indeed a clever way to give additional backstory to what was intended to be a humorous reference in the first film.

Obviously when they made the original they didn’t think it’d take thirty plus years to get a sequel in place and that would play out the way it does, but based on how it does, one thing it now makes me wish is that he didn’t throw Goose’s dog tags to the sea. I think it would have been cool to see that he still possessed and flew with them in hand after all these years during the “talk to me, Goose” moments. And then in the scene as Mav and Rooster are about to climb into their planes to execute the mission and Mav calls him “Bradley” and tells him that he’s “got this,” Mav places Goose’s dog tags in Rooster’s hand. Would have made for a very powerful and touching scene imo.

Haha I just realized the first Top Gun was in 1986, Jennifer Connelly was born in 1970... If Penny was the same age as Jennifer then....

I actually caught it the opposite way. Out of all the times I’d seen the original, I never caught it was “Penny Benjamin” they said whenever they referenced Maverick’s and the Admiral’s daughter. I wasn’t until Saturday night when I of course watched the original again, where I was like “wait did Goose just say Penny Benjamin? Ah okay, makes sense now.” That was indeed a clever way to give additional backstory to what was intended to be a humorous reference in the first film.

Obviously when they made the original they didn’t think it’d take thirty plus years to get a sequel in place and that would play out the way it does, but based on how it does, one thing it now makes me wish is that he didn’t throw Goose’s dog tags to the sea. I think it would have been cool to see that he still possessed and flew with them in hand after all these years during the “talk to me, Goose” moments. And then in the scene as Mav and Rooster are about to climb into their planes to execute the mission and Mav calls him “Bradley” and tells him that he’s “got this,” Mav places Goose’s dog tags in Rooster’s hand. Would have made for a very powerful and touching scene imo.
I always thought that bout Goose's tags too so I'm glad to hear from you guys that he still talks to him while flying in this sequel. So excited to see this when I eventually can.
Xx

Ohhh, of course! YES, now I get it. He mentioned taking her out in his plane back in the day, Why the heck did I not twig!?

Back