Top Gun: Maverick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mickey Rourke just said:

The Wrestler actor, 69, was asked about Cruise's recent billion dollar box office success with Top Gun: Maverick and gave his honest opinion about his "irrelevant" peer.

"That doesn't mean s*** to me," Rourke said on Piers Morgan Uncensored. "The guy's been doing the same effing part for 35 years, ya know? I've got no respect for that."

Rourke went on to say, "I don't care about money and power. I care about when I watch Al Pacino work and Chris Walken and [Robert] De Niro's early work and Richard Harris's work and Ray Winstone's work. That’s the kind of actor I want to be like. Like Monty Clift and [Marlon] Brando back in the day. A lot of guys who tried to stretch as actors."

Morgan then asked, "You don't think Tom Cruise is a good actor?" — and Rourke made his stance even more clear.

"I think he's irrelevant in my world," replied Rourke, who has been filming Roman Polanski’s upcoming film The Palace.

A rep for Cruise has not yet responded to Yahoo Entertainment's request for comment.

Can Cruise just be given Star Wars.

Not act in it I mean take it over and kick KK to the curb!

Sorry Fav you blew it after Mando so you now answer to Cruise you don’t get KK position.
Cruise said that he was willing to play Iron Man in 2008 but that Feige wouldn't agree to letting him have more of a say in the creative process. It's hard to picture anyone playing Stark besides RDJ now but I can't help wonder how a Cruise guided MCU might have turned out. He's obviously okay playing a bad guy (Collateral, Interview with the Vampire, Magnolia) so an Evans/Cruise Civil War might have been really interesting.

"That doesn't mean s*** to me," Rourke said on Piers Morgan Uncensored. "The guy's been doing the same effing part for 35 years, ya know? I've got no respect for that."
Tom Cruise finally takes a break from playing Ethan Hunt and now Rourke is pissed, lol.

If he's specifically referring to the fact that Cruise tends to have the same mannerisms across the majority of characters well Pacino and Walken have been doing that even longer than Cruise, lol.

You know I had this movie tied for number 1 with The Batman for 2022 but I have to say I think it surpasses even The Batman and it will remain in first place with no equal I seriously can’t get over just how moving this movie was and honestly it wasn’t even the Kilmer part that moved me most it was the stuff between Rooster and Maverick.
I must say I agree. On one hand I can't help but feel a little foolish declaring The Batman as arguably the best film of the past 20 years and then 3 months later having it be dethroned by TGM but dammit it happened so what can you do, lol. I guess we've got another 1981 when Raiders and Road Warrior came out the same year. :yess:

I still prefer The Batman just because it's Batman. Kinda like Jye unconditionally prefers any SW over ST, or any ST over PT.

Mickey Rourke just said:

Ironically with all the work he's had done he now resembles Kilmer.

427230_115437_updates.jpg

Cruise said that he was willing to play Iron Man in 2008 but that Feige wouldn't agree to letting him have more of a say in the creative process. It's hard to picture anyone playing Stark besides RDJ now but I can't help wonder how a Cruise guided MCU might have turned out. He's obviously okay playing a bad guy (Collateral, Interview with the Vampire, Magnolia) so an Evans/Cruise Civil War might have been really interesting.

Wasn't the issue also Tom wanting his face seen all the time and wanting a see through Iron Man helmet? It makes sense since all his bike scenes are without any helmet.

Sorry Fav you blew it after Mando so you now answer to Cruise you don’t get KK position.

Wait…did I just say KK position..

View attachment 587978
Because Cruise has done such a stellar job with the Mission Impossible franchise? Sorry but I don't see that playing out any better than the direction KK was going down with Star Wars.

Wasn't the issue also Tom wanting his face seen all the time and wanting a see through Iron Man helmet? It makes sense since all his bike scenes are without any helmet.
I was just going by this quote of his from this recent interview:

"[Marvel Studios] came to me at a certain time and, when I do something, I wanna do it right. If I commit to something, it has to be done in a way that I know it’s gonna be something special. And as it was lining up, it just didn’t feel to me like it was gonna work. I need to be able to make decisions and make the film as great as it can be, it just didn’t go down that road that way.”

https://movieweb.com/tom-cruise-explains-why-he-turned-down-role-of-iron-man/
I don't know if he had issues with Iron Man wearing a helmet but in Maverick he did have his face mask on for the majority of flying scenes.

Well crap I was about to say that Cruise was 14, 17, and 20 when the OT films were released so they very well could have impacted his childhood but I've never seen any indication whatsoever that he was ever a fan.

Then I pull this up and I'm thinking what the hell JJ, Tom's a fan, you directed him in MI3, and he would have jumped at the chance to play a Last Samurai type of Jedi or a defecting Stormtrooper and you go with John Boyega instead?? :slap

I don't know if he had issues with Iron Man wearing a helmet but in Maverick he did have his face mask on for the majority of flying scenes.

I'm thinking it's a non-negotiable safety requirement when flying inside the jet and the fact, eventhough the visors don't have tint, it's to make the scenes believable.

Especially since Kelly demanded a scene of her being blown out of an AC-130 gunship and floating her way back to the plane on a wind current.
I don't know why but for some reason the imagery of this post popped back into my mind today and I literally burst out laughing. :lol

I couldn't help but picture what the full logistics such a demand would even look like, lol.

McGillis and her agent in a conference room with Cruise, Kosinski, and Bruckheimer. Her agent says "my client would like 500,000, standard no nudity clause and...this." (Places piece of paper on the table detailing the scene above, spins it so that it faces Cruise, then with just his fingertips slides it across the table to him.) Cruise let's out a half chuckle, glances at Bruckheimer then instinctively reaches for the paper and begins to read. McGillis nervously bites her lip, awaiting his reaction.

:lol

I'm guessing it would have turned out making about $15 Billion less than it did lol. Let's face it, when it comes to box office success TGM is the exception not the rule for our little Tommy. I'm not dismissing his star power/long term popularity, it's just that we're talking rarefied air when looking at the MCU's success through IW/EG, and a lot of it stemmed from RDJ's nailing the Tony Stark character. Not to mention his setting the tone for a lot of its witty banter.

I'm guessing it would have turned out making about $15 Billion less than it did lol. Let's face it, when it comes to box office success TGM is the exception not the rule for our little Tommy. I'm not dismissing his star power/long term popularity, it's just that we're talking rarefied air when looking at the MCU's success through IW/EG, and a lot of it stemmed from RDJ's nailing the Tony Stark character. Not to mention his setting the tone for a lot of its witty banter.
All true. But I can't help but still be curious about what a Cruise led MCU might have looked like.

Back