Those who disliked TLJ, are you still buying toys from it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I'm starting to regret I bought the ep4 Han... all this fiasco with Disney and Star Wars and the way the fans argue is souring me on all of it. I may just get out of Star Wars completely.

Just stick with the OT then. Nothing or nobody can take that away from you.

I think I'll go with BB-8. And if Kylo's HS turns out better and they release force projection Luke, that will be good too.

After 40 years of collecting Star Wars a sad day hit today. I (finally) picked up the latest copy of Star Wars Insider magazine (that I've been collecting from the same comic store for over 20 years), and opened it up and started to flick through the pages. As each page past, I realized how much I truly disliked TLJ, and a lightbulb moment hit. I rang my friends at the store and told them to stop putting a copy aside for me. TLJ seems to be the straw that broke the camels back, as I had zero excitement or interest to read anything that had been printed.

It's the first SW movie I haven't bought any paraphernalia from. Nothing. This magazine will be the first and last item I will own directly relating to the film. I'm not even going to buy the blu-ray.

I love the OT, and like certain elements from the PT & ST - hell, I was even really interested to see where the characters went after TFA, but now... I have no desire at all. I feel like I've been oversaturated and need a cleanse after TLJ.

Sadly, I won't be doing anymore midnight screenings either. Solo doesn't interest me (there'll never be another Harriosn Ford) and Ep9... not even a miracle could bring it back now. TLJ is truly that, the last movie I have any interest in seeing that features anything to do the Jedi, or the current state of SW :(

I understand that Star Wars has to get younger. That is, it has to attract a new generation of fans, but this young generation has so much in terms of pop culture, games, etc that their attention span is fickle. The reality is that no matter how much a dad sits his children down to see a new Star Wars movie they will probably never love it like he did as a kid. They may watch it once or twice, but the market is saturated with so much that they are on to the next thing in a week. Star Wars was the pervasive entertainment (movies, toys, lunch boxes, etc) of my youth. I was a kid, I didn't care about critical acclaim or even how corny the ewoks were. The movies and toys were a cultural phenomenon. I don't see that with these new movies and the current youth. Yet Disney has to try to get them on board for longevity. It's just not working without upsetting the purists (SJW garbage, forced diversity, poor character development)

As a kid I bought the Kenner figures, even the obscure characters, because they had a charm and added depth to this lived in world. These current characters have such little depth, so I cannot justify purchasing any. Hell, Luke didn't spend an on screen moment emoting over the loss of his best friend Han. You think there might have been some payoff in that for the people who have been on the journey for 40 years? Nah, let's save that for the deleted scene in a novel.

After 40 years of collecting Star Wars a sad day hit today. I (finally) picked up the latest copy of Star Wars Insider magazine (that I've been collecting from the same comic store for over 20 years), and opened it up and started to flick through the pages. As each page past, I realized how much I truly disliked TLJ, and a lightbulb moment hit. I rang my friends at the store and told them to stop putting a copy aside for me. TLJ seems to be the straw that broke the camels back, as I had zero excitement or interest to read anything that had been printed.

It's the first SW movie I haven't bought any paraphernalia from. Nothing. This magazine will be the first and last item I will own directly relating to the film. I'm not even going to buy the blu-ray.

I love the OT, and like certain elements from the PT & ST - hell, I was even really interested to see where the characters went after TFA, but now... I have no desire at all. I feel like I've been oversaturated and need a cleanse after TLJ.

Sadly, I won't be doing anymore midnight screenings either. Solo doesn't interest me (there'll never be another Harriosn Ford) and Ep9... not even a miracle could bring it back now. TLJ is truly that, the last movie I have any interest in seeing that features anything to do the Jedi, or the current state of SW :(

Great description, pretty much how I feel about it atm...

A Solo doesn't interest me (there'll never be another Harriosn Ford) and Ep9... not even a miracle could bring it back now. TLJ is truly that, the last movie I have any interest in seeing that features anything to do the Jedi, or the current state of SW :(

I don't know if it's entirely fair to say that Solo won't interest people just because it's another actor playing Han. Han Solo is a character, and Harrison Ford brought him to life, yes, but there have been plenty of other characters brought to life by other actors.

I always thought Tobey Maguire would be Spider-Man to me, because I grew up with his movies. To be honest, I never really gave Andrew Garfield a fair shot. But Tom Holland was the perfect Peter Parker in my eyes, and I've enjoyed his turn as Spider-Man as much as any other.

I had no idea how Dumbledore would be recast after Richard Harris died, because he brought such an incredible charm to the character, that just felt magic. But Michael Gambon did an excellent job stepping in.

I grew up with Pierce Brosnan as James Bond (I'm 30), but even from a teenager on, while I enjoyed Brosnan's movies the most, I know Sean Connery just WAS James Bond. He had the persona, the charm, the swagger. I thought there would never be another perfect Bond, and that the rest would just be a bunch of entertaining movies, until Daniel Craig came along and really made the character his own.

Now, Solo is right up there with Bond, Parker and Dumbledore as all time iconic characters, so if those three could all be replaced adequately by someone, I'm willing to give this new kid a chance. I'm really hoping that the Solo movie will have the same OT magic that Rogue One had and I can wash the taste of TLJ out of my mouth, finally, and fall back in love with Star Wars. I'm not going to write it off just because there's someone new playing Solo. Maybe I need this movie to be good for my own sake, or maybe I'm just determined to give it a chance, but I hope it's good and I hope the new actor captures the swagger of Han Solo.

Just an opinion.

I really have no interest in the Solo film just because I feel we're starting to get a SW overload now, similar to the MCU. While I'll still acknowledge it as being part of SW film canon because it's a fact that the film is going to be made, I won't really put too much of an emphasis on it; it'd probably just be something that I watch once, not even in theaters, and that's it.

I don't really want to find myself getting too burned out of SW that it somewhat loses its luster for me as a whole. I'll just stick with the actual episodes and R1 as being my main SW.

No one should let any one movie rob them of their zeal for Star Wars. This movie was very decent as, IMO, a stand alone pic. Failed miserably as a book in the new chapter and a continuation of TFA, but no way am I going to let the mishaps of this thing skew my view of Star Wars. There are some decent designs here that I would consider purchasing, but quite frankly there is just not enough newness here. I’m surprised HT even seemed to have stopped any other SW developemnt after seeing the stills. Luke, Kylo, Rey, Executioner troopers and Praetorians....that’s pretty much it. Now can we get a goddamned Poe now and move on??? Nothing to really see here that we haven’t already. This movie failed to even do the basics: continue the story. PT even managed to get that one right. It was a pretty good run but odds were on a stinker showing up at some point, just was a little earlier than expected. Oh well, long live Star Wars. May the force finally be with this iteration of the franchise...at some point.

I don't know if it's entirely fair to say that Solo won't interest people just because it's another actor playing Han. Han Solo is a character, and Harrison Ford brought him to life, yes, but there have been plenty of other characters brought to life by other actors.

I always thought Tobey Maguire would be Spider-Man to me, because I grew up with his movies. To be honest, I never really gave Andrew Garfield a fair shot. But Tom Holland was the perfect Peter Parker in my eyes, and I've enjoyed his turn as Spider-Man as much as any other.

I had no idea how Dumbledore would be recast after Richard Harris died, because he brought such an incredible charm to the character, that just felt magic. But Michael Gambon did an excellent job stepping in.

I grew up with Pierce Brosnan as James Bond (I'm 30), but even from a teenager on, while I enjoyed Brosnan's movies the most, I know Sean Connery just WAS James Bond. He had the persona, the charm, the swagger. I thought there would never be another perfect Bond, and that the rest would just be a bunch of entertaining movies, until Daniel Craig came along and really made the character his own.

Now, Solo is right up there with Bond, Parker and Dumbledore as all time iconic characters, so if those three could all be replaced adequately by someone, I'm willing to give this new kid a chance. I'm really hoping that the Solo movie will have the same OT magic that Rogue One had and I can wash the taste of TLJ out of my mouth, finally, and fall back in love with Star Wars. I'm not going to write it off just because there's someone new playing Solo. Maybe I need this movie to be good for my own sake, or maybe I'm just determined to give it a chance, but I hope it's good and I hope the new actor captures the swagger of Han Solo.

Just an opinion.

You do realize that you can put those actors together and they don't reach a 40 year tenure as a character that Ford had with his run as Han Solo.

Not a single person mentioned, has been minted in pop culture to the extent of Han Solo. This mini - Solo has some big boots to fill.

You do realize that you can put those actors together and they don't reach a 40 year tenure as a character that Ford had with his run as Han Solo.

Not a single person mentioned, has been minted in pop culture to the extent of Han Solo. This mini - Solo has some big boots to fill.

If we're capable of being impartial as Star Wars fans, I would say Spider-Man is probably a more famous pop culture character than Han Solo. Han Solo is probably the 4th or 5th Star Wars character an average person would name if asked about Star Wars, Spider-Man is probably #2 behind Batman. I would also say James Bond probably is more minted in pop culture than Han Solo. Everyone knows who James Bond is, but I personally know people who know the names Skywalker and Vader but not Solo.

I get your point though. Harrison Ford was able to play out the life of the character, from in his prime adult to old man. It's Ford's character, he brought it to life and made Han Solo what he is. No one can ever take away that character from Harrison Ford. All I was saying, is that if other actors were able to excel in some other very famous roles like Bond and Peter Parker, someone else can play Han Solo too. If you're going to not see a movie, a person depicting the character isn't a good reason why. If you see the movie and he just didn't do it for you, that's one thing. But don't boycott the movie because of a silly reason like that.

Now, I always thought the mystique of Han Solo was that we didn't know his backstory, he was just some snarky guy who got caught up in everything and became a hero of the Rebellion. I thought not knowing where he came from or what his deal was, except that he was a smuggler, kind of added to his character. If that's why someone doesn't want to see the movie, I would totally understand that, but not because you're not willing to give another actor a chance.

Next up from Disney 2020...

Bobba:the Movie

'one man, wandering the universe, his gun for hire, will work for any scum and villany for the right price' Too bad he died like such a punk...

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be shocked at all if the 2022 Star Wars movie is Bobba Fett, since 2020 is likely going to be Obi-Wan.

If we're capable of being impartial as Star Wars fans, I would say Spider-Man is probably a more famous pop culture character than Han Solo. Han Solo is probably the 4th or 5th Star Wars character an average person would name if asked about Star Wars, Spider-Man is probably #2 behind Batman. I would also say James Bond probably is more minted in pop culture than Han Solo. Everyone knows who James Bond is, but I personally know people who know the names Skywalker and Vader but not Solo.

I get your point though. Harrison Ford was able to play out the life of the character, from in his prime adult to old man. It's Ford's character, he brought it to life and made Han Solo what he is. No one can ever take away that character from Harrison Ford. All I was saying, is that if other actors were able to excel in some other very famous roles like Bond and Peter Parker, someone else can play Han Solo too. If you're going to not see a movie, a person depicting the character isn't a good reason why. If you see the movie and he just didn't do it for you, that's one thing. But don't boycott the movie because of a silly reason like that.

Now, I always thought the mystique of Han Solo was that we didn't know his backstory, he was just some snarky guy who got caught up in everything and became a hero of the Rebellion. I thought not knowing where he came from or what his deal was, except that he was a smuggler, kind of added to his character. If that's why someone doesn't want to see the movie, I would totally understand that, but not because you're not willing to give another actor a chance.

Your reason at the end is okay for someone to not want to see the movie but not Niltusk's? If anything I think his reason is more valid as that way you can always have Ford as Solo without any change to your suspension of disbelief. Movies are all about this—suspension of disbelief—and changing actors is one of the hardest things there is to overcome. You can change loads to a story mid-filming, but you'll almost never see an actor changed within the middle of a finished movie (Wedge is an instance but nobody knows that the other pilot was the original Wedge so it doesn't matter).

These new movies have the potential to ruin characters, I'm sure there are tons of people who wish they could unhear Darth Vader as a child going "Yippeeeee," so there are loads of reasons not to want to watch a particular re-do of a character. And your reasoning is of course also valid.

I don't think your Bond analogy is very apt either. That has become a tradition with Bond, but I think it's the exact right reason that people are not into the idea of another actor as Solo, lest the Bond example be repeated, it signals an artistic laziness on the intellectual property owner's part--rather than expanding and introducing new characters you can be sure Disney already has a 15-year or 20-year plan that works toward rebooting the OT, since that is what Hollywood is about. Star Wars has the potential to be a huge universe in the way that the Marvel universe started in the comics, with a vast array of characters. I think the last thing anybody wants is to just start exploiting the few characters we know from the OT and then changing actors every 10 years and rebooting their story lines, etc. Even movies set around the OT, with different actors playing these characters really starts to water down the magic of Star Wars.

Anyhow, I'll be seeing this movie, but I still feel it would have been far stronger if it was just, like Rogue One, about a cast of new characters we've never met before. Could be the exact same story and set up this generation's Han Solo perhaps.

'memba StarLog magazine? Those were the days.

Very sorry to hear this story. But I get it. I'm getting nothing from TLJ, won't support it in any way. If I can hinder its success in any way, just let me know. BUT... I'm hoping Solo is more like RO than TLJ.

These new movies have the potential to ruin characters, I'm sure there are tons of people who wish they could unhear Darth Vader as a child going "Yippeeeee,".

Or as an adult going "nooooooooooooo!!!!"

Or as an adult going "nooooooooooooo!!!!"

When he did that in ROTS, it was bad, but could be ignored like the rest of the PT. When Lucas redid ROTJ with the same "Nooooooo", yeah, it was pretty bad. The only reason it doesn't continue to bother me is because of Harmy's despecialized blu-rays, but it is annoying to know that any modern re-release on updated formats will feature that horrendous edited dialogue.

Yes, the addition of "Nooo" in ROTJ is the worst treatment in Star Wars.

'memba StarLog magazine? Those were the days.

Very sorry to hear this story. But I get it. I'm getting nothing from TLJ, won't support it in any way. If I can hinder its success in any way, just let me know. BUT... I'm hoping Solo is more like RO than TLJ.

Yes, sir, I do indeed! And Fantastic Films magazine? Collected Cinefex from the beginning too!

But yeah, I tried watching TLJ again today (from a rip), and the first time since seeing it that once at the cinema - and (for me anyway), it's a horrible piece of film making. So painful, in so many ways, that I'm really going to steer clear of all this new ****.

But at least nothing will every kill my love of the OT :)

I enjoyed the film, but it's not among the best episodes for me. But I still don't think to buy any figure. That's because there's nothing new in designwise.

I pretty much echo Mandible’s feelings. First SW film that I was ambivalent towards before seeing, zero merch purchased and no desire to see it a second time. That being said, I’m keeping an open mind toward Solo. I still feel it’s the SW movie no one wanted or needed and that the chronicle gap is too close between ANH Ford and Alden, but if nothing else I’m not not going to simply bash and shun it because of him. It’s certainly not his fault and I’m glad he’s not trying to emulate Ford. That would have been worse, imo.

Back