Thinking of getting a Laptop, not sure which

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper33

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting myself a laptop. I currently use a desktop, but my current one is already getting aged out as its about 6 years old.

I was hoping that I can get one that can play something like WoW on ultra or close to it. Would also like something that can play The Old Republic as I doubt my current PC can handle it (plays wow at low).

So far I've seen these 2 at the store, but not sure how good they actually are...or if there is something better. Lower price would be best, but not if its gonna make the system crap. I basically kinda want a gaming laptop in a way, but would also like it for various other things.

Dell - Inspiron Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 8GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive - Diamond Black

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive - Platinum

Smaller screen I could work with. I got a 22" screen, but with a LP the screen will be alot closer then my monitor is to me. Though I would like to keep a good sized HDD.

Looks like those have integrated video (Intel® HD Graphics 3000) which can't even play COD Black Ops at a playable frame rate on high. You would need a gaming laptop with dedicated video for gaming.

Call of Duty – Black Ops

The Intel HD Graphics 3000 achieved 17.9 fps at high details (1366x768, high, 2xAA, 2xAF) in our test. Therewith it stays outside the playable range, but at least in front of the G210M (17 Fps). Noticeable: Even at lowest detail level (800x600, low) the HD 3000 cannot exceed 22.7 fps on average in our benchmark test. So, CoD-Black Ops can probably not be played on the Intel HD Graphics 3000 at all.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Intel-HD-Graphics-3000-graphics-solution.43710.0.html

Last edited:
Have you considered Apple yet? My MacBook Pro handles most games like WoW..

Just my .2, all the best in your search ;)

Looks like those have integrated video (Intel® HD Graphics 3000) which can't even play COD Black Ops at a playable frame rate on high. You would need a gaming laptop with dedicated video for gaming.

Call of Duty – Black Ops

The Intel HD Graphics 3000 achieved 17.9 fps at high details (1366x768, high, 2xAA, 2xAF) in our test. Therewith it stays outside the playable range, but at least in front of the G210M (17 Fps). Noticeable: Even at lowest detail level (800x600, low) the HD 3000 cannot exceed 22.7 fps on average in our benchmark test. So, CoD-Black Ops can probably not be played on the Intel HD Graphics 3000 at all.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Intel-HD-Graphics-3000-graphics-solution.43710.0.html

Damn, kinda sucks since the search will be longer.

Would prefer PC since that is all I've had.

yup. get a mac. you can run Windows on it. my friend converted me to apple about 7 years ago. once you go mac you never go back.

No point in getting a Mac if you're just going to run Windows.

And since you want to play games, I'd go with a Windows PC anyways.

But anyways, as someone said, neither of those systems have good graphics capabilities, although everything else checks out.

You need something with like a GeForce mobile graphics card, those would be like a GTX 560M, the higher the number the better the graphics card, or an ATI Radeon graphics card.

I had an HP earlier, then switched to Dell Studio, pretty good system. But I guess they've scrapped that line. Did you check out Dell's Alienware? Though, as people say, spending some more on a MacBook would be the best option.

Definitely a higher graphic card and solid state drive....less heat and much much faster too.

I paid a bungle for mine but its 2 gig of vid memory and 160 g of solid state drive.

Was just thinking, games like COD and such I would get on the Xbox instead of the PC. But would Old Republic run at a good rate both detail and frame? How high would WoW be on one of the previously mentioned laptops?

I said gaming, but I think most of my gaming would be Xbox/PS3. I think gaming for the laptop would just be online type of games.

Was just thinking, games like COD and such I would get on the Xbox instead of the PC. But would Old Republic run at a good rate both detail and frame? How high would WoW be on one of the previously mentioned laptops?

I said gaming, but I think most of my gaming would be Xbox/PS3. I think gaming for the laptop would just be online type of games.

Neither of those laptops have real graphics cards, they're both integrated chips, you're probably not going to be able to run TOR on there.

Dude, read the article I linked to about the onboard graphics that are used on those laptops. The onboard video card won't even play older games at a playable frame rates. Newer games will be worse than that.

I just got the 17" Mac Book Pro with the quad-core Intel i7 processors yesterday. Upgrading to 8 GB of RAM. I love my laptop. I needed my Mac because of school. We only use Macs. Film school.

At least look into a Mac. I use to be a PC user only and made fun of Macs and said I would never ever get one.

But PCs just pissed me off too much and when it came time to upgrade I took the leap to a Mac.....and I am so glad I did.

Macs are expensive, so only look into them if you can afford it, otherwise don't bother.

When you do that, just make sure you get a lot of 1-dollar bills and do it in a private room. They are a lot more fun there.

wait...

lap...TOP...oh...

never mind.:monkey3

:)

Back