Thinking about quitting this hobby.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SanShouXMA, I give props to you for starting a discussion about this topic--it couldn't have been posted at the best time, as I've got about $1,700 in POs lined up!

I just canceled a few, and now only have HT Sparrow, CR Supes, '89 Bats & '89 Joker, Cap, then SSC Zartan-ex, & Rock-n-Roll ex PO'd.

I still need to cut down this list 'cuz I honestly don't have enough room to display all of them, along with my current collection--and I'm not willing to change my current display either:monkey3

As it stands, I might have to add "just one more Detolf" to the 4 I already own! :slap

I've already cancelled quite a few figures. I had to cancel my PO for Spidey and Goblin. all my muscle bodies, and a few other figures. I'm down to 5 now. Hopefully that'll be ok since they are few months apart.

I had to cancel my PO for Spidey

Biiiiigmistake.jpg

Yeah I wasn't that big of a Spider Maguire fan. I thought the first movie was good but the rest were a big joke. Passing Spiderman down the train like he was Jesus was stupid. I am I Spidey fan but I think I can wait until the new Spidey is here. That costume I'm a fan of.

Sounds like you're getting quite a bit of support from everyone on this, and I'd hate to see someone else quit doing what they love due to financial circumstances. Without going into too much detail here, I have to spend a lot of money on medication every month, and recently found myself not buying the meds I needed to stay healthy so I could afford games, DVDs, and this collecting hobby. Then I got into a very serious car accident, because I hadn't been taking those meds.

My priorities straightened out pretty ____ing quick. I cut back on the DVDs and games, and concentrated on saving for a new car while still pocketing some money for this. It's 3 months later, and I've ordered the newest Batman figure, pre-ordered B89 Bats and Joker, but not the CR Supes. Honestly, I know what it's like to have that complete-ist mentality, but at the end of the day, was it really worth it when you have to sell your collections to buy food or pay bills? I don't think so.

..And if I came across as too forceful or accusatory or anything that may have not been agreeable to you I would like to apologise as that was not my intention :peace

Oh, not at all - it's all good! :)

Simple advice to the collecting addict: STAY AWAY FROM COLLECTING FORUMS.

It is that simple.

If you want to quit the hobby for real, you stay away from eBay...and forum boards and enjoy the figures that you have.

I guarantee you your urge to splurge will be gone cuz you won't see any of the nice preorder promo pics.

Man, that'd be really difficult, though!

Actually, though I have no intention of quitting this hobby (as long as I can remember, I've always collected 1/6), a few years back I made a decision to concetrate my collection.

-First, I will never, EVER, buy a PF
-Second, I only buy if I really, REALLY love the franchise (so for example, no Pirates for me)
-Third, I try not to be a repeat costumer: 1 Pred or 1 Alien is enough. After that, they're all the same with different accessories
-Four, I don't purchase secondary characters (no Sarah Connor or T1000 or New Goblin for me)
-Five, budget it: I used to buy 1/6, DVDs and CDs. I've stopped buying CDs 10 years ago. Saves money and room.
-Six, never consider 1/6 as investment, they're just toys and only have an appeal for fellow collectors. Others laugh at it or are uninterested at best. Anyway prices will drop when something better hits the market.

Now of course, that what I strive to do and there are exceptions for licences I really like but I try to respect these rules as much as I can...

I started with SSC Star Wars 1/6 figures. I then added Hot Toys. I have become very selective now with the SSC figures. I have started to do the same with Hot Toys. I have decided to let the Iron Man Mark V go. I have made a committment to not pre-order any more Batman figures except the 89 ones. I have learned to be content with my older figures. This saves space and money. Unless you have endless space, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Sounds like you're getting quite a bit of support from everyone on this, and I'd hate to see someone else quit doing what they love due to financial circumstances. Without going into too much detail here, I have to spend a lot of money on medication every month, and recently found myself not buying the meds I needed to stay healthy so I could afford games, DVDs, and this collecting hobby. Then I got into a very serious car accident, because I hadn't been taking those meds.

Now I heard it all! Not buying medications to stay healthy, so you could afford games, DVD's and collecting $200+ dolls:cuckoo: and then to top it off you have a serious car crash because you didn't take your meds:slap

The FREAKS on here may say, that's ok, you now have Batman89 and the Joker on preorder, you're now doing great, I don't look at it like that, you could have killed someone in that car crash, and your local newscaster's report would have been, Joe Putz killed a family of 5 today, when he was driving without taking his medication, he told police at the scene that he lost control of his four thousand pound automobile because he couldn't afford his medications anymore, when asked why he couldn't afford his medications? the suspect said, because he had to buy video games, DVD's and $200+ dolls, which the suspect calls action figures. He is know looking at life in prison. On a positive note he has Batman89 and the Joker Hot Toys on preorder, they well be delivered to cell block D.

You know I really won't to say some other things, but I don't want to get banned off the site. The thought of you driving again is very sad.:mad:

Last edited:
I'm actually more or less quitting after the Batman 89 figures, but if something comes out hat I absolutely need to have I'm going to sell one to get one.

Well the good thing is disaster was averted and hopefully he's learnt his lesson and won't ever skip meds again

I have a question for you, Mr. Hopefully he's learnt a lesson Guy. Today when you're driving, take a look over to the guy driving in the next lane, and for a second imagine the guy driving next to you is your little friend from this forum. How would you feel driving next to him with your family in the car?

If a person can't afford this hobby they should stop. Collectables will always be around, there'll always be something out there you will want to own. Everytime i find myself winding down thinking i'm done with this hobby something else sparks my interest and the cycle begins again. If you find that you just can't stop then you have an addiction and should seriously try and set your priorities straight.

I'm actually more or less quitting after the Batman 89 figures, but if something comes out hat I absolutely need to have I'm going to sell one to get one.

I'm not a betting man, but would you like to make a small wager I that quitting statement you just made:lol

We are actually quitting this hobby as well, the moment that Sideshow stops selling the Buffy statues. We've canceled everything every where else and I am even selling my Hitman PF. Just not as into it as I was and the rising prices are making this very un-fun for us. Great for all those that are more understanding of the rising costs and who can't live without their statues. But for us, enough is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back