thinking about having 'guest artists' on my blog

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Carnall

Formerly hunky_artist
Reaction score
hey guys.

There are some truly amazing talented people on here (and other forums) and I'm thinking about having maybe once a month a guest artist slot, where somebody could send me pictures of a particular custom they've done, with maybe (doesnt have to be) a shortish write up of what they did, and a bit about it etc.

If I did this about once a month (obviously I need to be able to show my own things on there still :lol ) quite quickly this could build up into a wonderful section of the best customs out there.

I'm not sure how I'd do it... whether I'd get you to submit a picture or two of whichever custom you're putting forward, and then I'd choose which one I wanted to feature that month or what. (I wouldn't want to offend anybody by not choosing theirs... but obviously that has to happen if 10 people put customs forward and I'm only featuring one that new blog post)

What do you think?

I'm really trying to think of ways to build the blog up, to include others from the community and make it a more active, and interactive place for customs (including my own). My last attempt to get people to share their websites/blogs for others to see falled flat.... lol. Lots went to the blog... but nobody left their web address to be included. No biggy..... lol

I'd really like to have a guest artist section on there though.... I'd love to show other people's works... I've seen some amazing pieces, and I want everyone to see them, lol

Darren

Thanks for responding, looks like nobody else wants to help me bash these ideas around, lol

It's cool though I'll figure it out eventually. I think I will do this guest customiser gallery thing..... I'll do the first one once I've got a little time to get it started :)

there is a lot of talent here katkuru, which is why I'd love to show the best of it over there as my blog readership slowly builds over time.

Josh, seeing as you answered this out of the customisers do you wanna pick your favourite custom (that you have pics of) and I'll make it the first entry in the guest artist segment. If you want to do a little bit of a write up for me (only if you want to, you dont have to, would be nice to have a bit from each artist who made each piece I think maybe) then you can email or pm that over, and I'll put it as an indented quote along with your pictures.

let me know what you think anyway if you have any thoughts. :)

Just caught this Darren (What's with the name change? :confused: I will miss Hunky! but it's nice to address YOU for a change...), anyway, count me in!
I'm good for a figure or head or two. :D
Anyway I can contribute to your blog. After Josh of course! :bow

Sounds cool. Sorry I missed it before. Lots going on.

don't worry Les we've all got our own things going on we can't all catch everything all the time :)

If you've got a favourite custom of yours (one at a time for now.... I might make it a fortnightly thing to start with until a good sized guest gallery has built up) then you can go ahead and get it ready and I'll put it up next after Josh's. Same as before pics alone are welcome, pics and a comment, paragraph or full write up are also (even more?) welcome. Just pm/email it over whenever you get the time... I ain't going anywhere. :)

I wanted to get people leaving their customs website/blog addresses over at the blog but the post fell flat, I might have to do it manually for now. Seeing as you're someone I know has a website, I'm assuming you don't mind if I put up a link to your site? (and if you have a links section over there (cant remember if you do) a link swap would be great)

As for the name change, lol.... when I first coined the name hunky_artist, it was an occasional chat room/messenger name, and created as a bit of a joke. Then it spread to all messengers. Then it spead to all forums. And now it's how everybody online knows me... hunky. Most people are fine with it... but some men are uncomfortable using it as a name, lol "i'm not calling no man hunky" :lol so I have to take that into account, but mainly if it's just for chatting it's fine... but now that I'm getting a serious amount of sculpting and painting work (and I plan on trying to grow this) then going by the name hunky artist just seemed a bit inappropriate (and silly and caveman-like, lol). For people like you it's fine because 'hunky' almost became a character that they spoke to... it was a first name almost. But for strangers.... and sexuality obsessed types, I think my real name is better :lol

plus as I want to attempt to build up a name for myself for what I do/will be doing over the coming months/years... seemed to make sense to have people automatically know my name... if that makes sense. (Like we all know sculptors like Arnie Kim.... he's not 'sexy_sculptor' or anything, lmao)

anyway..... hunky will still be around, lol, somewhere

And I'll be more thank happy to have you contribute to my blog, firstly for the guest artists (or whatever I call it) section, and after that possibly as a semi recurring thing if you ever want to spread some Les Walker tutorials/hints/tips/self promotion... whatever. Your website and customs gave me motivation to get into this to the level that I'm at, so it seems about right (for copious promotion of your own site of course) that you help others as well

anyway... it's late... i'm rambling on (i do this when I'm tired) so I'm going to bed lol

'night :)

Darren

Cool Darren! I'll make one up for it immediately. That would be freakin awesome. Maybe I can do one for Sith Anakin.... probably my most successful custom.

Last edited:
ok Josh that's cool. Just let me know when you have some pictures/words together and we'll get it sorted. You could even just email it straight over if you wanted, my email link is on my blog if it's not on here. (just in case I didnt get on here..... unlikely though, lol)

And Mike.... some of your stuff will be going in the guest artist's section, without question. Thanks :)

Darren

Sent the writeup to your PM box Darren... easiest for me to send the pics too...

Hope it works for you man... just let me know if something needs changing or anything. Thanks for the opportunity! :duff

Darren, just off the top of my head, you should contact Hurricane, Xenoviper, Sunohc and The Vampire with Soul. They've all got made some great custom stuff. You've already got three of the best in Figure Master Les, DarkArtist and Customikey, so that should give you a good start. Man I wish I could paint and sculpt. :monkey2

Thanks Josh, I'll post it now. And Jedi? I have no doubt that over the weeks/months I'll get guest articles from all of those people :)

It's a win/win for everybody. People like to have their customs seen, I like to show them off, and I want more people to start going to my blog as a place to go for customs..... and having guest items helps fill the blog up while I'm working on identical (therefore boring) commissions.... lol

ok, the first 'guest artist' article is up on the blog (link below) featuring Josh (DA). He shows off, and talks about the Mustafar 'burnt' Anakin he did, telling us how he did it. It's an interesting read, and of course it's always good to see the pics of that fabulous custom again.

Go check it out, and please, leave a comment at the bottom of the post! It's always good to get (for me AND the guest artist) to get some feedback and comments

cheers! :D

Darren

DIRECT LINK TO ARTICLE >>>>>https://darrencarnall.blogspot.com/2007/05/first-of-many-guest-artist-articles.html#links

that's great. My initial idea was to have the best custom makers out there showing their favourite pieces, but I think it might be cool to show some 'up and coming' guys too.... everybody starts somewhere, and I think as people have shown around here, skills very quickly improve!

I'll be glad to have you do something on this. There's a small list now of people lining up for it, but there will be enough time for everybody, and it will quickly build up into a nice archive of great customs! Thanks for jumping on board :cool:

Darren

EDIT: I just went through your thread and reminded myself of your customs, and your eye placement and circle shapes were spot on! So by the time I have you on the guest artist slot anyway you'll be amazing! :D

Last edited:
Back