The Witcher netflix series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why people expect a carbon copy adaptation when it comes to these TV shows. Writers have to have some artistic licence and can't just be copying the book exactly. Some books have far too many characters that just can't be explored in a tv adaptation and therefore some need to be scrapped. I also think if everything that happens in the book, happens in the show, then there aren't many surprises. Particularly with social media these days, book spoilers everywhere.

I think of The Walking Dead and the massive changes they made to that. Daryl was made up for the show and became a fan favourite. Carol died early on, yet lasted the entire series run. Those were just 2 changes that improved the show.

I love Henry, but if you're gonna complain about the writing, that is certainly going to put you offside. It would also be pretty annoying to have someone on set being a bit of a know it all about the source material.
No one expects the shows to be exactly like the books, however when the changes made are far worse than the source material (like in The Witcher TV show), then of course people are going to complain. Also, there's a difference to changing the story compared to changing the fundamentals of the source material, such as significant changes to a beloved character so that they don't even resemble the character from the source material.

The Walking Dead changed things and for a long-time they did a great job and therefore nobody cared, especially since 99% of the audience never read the comic. The Witcher had a good first season and then it has been a downward spiral since then, and again 90%+ of the audience are unfamiliar with the source material and they still don't like it. None of the changes made have improved the story nor the show.

Again, you can make changes, but there’s no excuse when it comes to bad writing and choices that betray the characters and overall story of the source material.

The Boys deviates heavily from the source material and is a fantastic show, because it’s well written.

The Walking Dead was stale for years, it fell off hard in terms of quality, not exactly a prime example to use.

The last couple seasons of The Game Of Thrones were the best of the whole series!! :yess:

Since they passed the novels and no longer had to be burdened by the source material. Boy were those creative choices great. Such good writing. :monkey3

If I were a multi millionaire who ran a TV company, I'd wait till Netflix drops the show (I think that's more likely each day), buy the rights out, and then partner with CDPR to use their iconography. Poach a few writers from successful TV series in the last decade while we're at it...or hell, try to get someone like Peter Jackson to do it.

Begin the series with a season dedicated just to Geralt being Geralt. Expand on the books with his adventures just hunting monsters and being, oh, you know, a Witcher.

And much like Peter Jackson, I genuinely believe CDPR has created THE definitive image for the Witcher as a brand and franchise, so using that look would go a long way to connect audiences across mediums.

I like McGowan for the roll. But if I was being snarky, I'd just throw oodles of money at Cavill just for the advertising boost it would bring.

If I were a multi millionaire who ran a TV company, I'd wait till Netflix drops the show (I think that's more likely each day), buy the rights out, and then partner with CDPR to use their iconography. Poach a few writers from successful TV series in the last decade while we're at it...or hell, try to get someone like Peter Jackson to do it.

Begin the series with a season dedicated just to Geralt being Geralt. Expand on the books with his adventures just hunting monsters and being, oh, you know, a Witcher.

And much like Peter Jackson, I genuinely believe CDPR has created THE definitive image for the Witcher as a brand and franchise, so using that look would go a long way to connect audiences across mediums.

I like McGowan for the roll. But if I was being snarky, I'd just throw oodles of money at Cavill just for the advertising boost it would bring.
Cavill could still be in it as a producer or as King Foltest. He'd probably be more then happy with that knowing he already played Geralt first time.

Zach McGowan definitely resembles game Geralt very well, even his natural voice matches,however he has not that ''start power'', we all know Netflix built the hype around Henry,but it's also a well known fact that he tried to get the part and he wasn't their first choice. I believe Liam was one of the frontrunners back then, that's how he showed up out of blue. I think Witcher needs HBO treatment, with lot of gore, sex, horror,monsters and drama+ epic music (I think show did pretty well with the soundtrack but needed more) Netflix tried to make it ''family friendly'' and that's where they failed first time. They had everything to make it huge, Idk how they managed to end up where they are now. If they have some brain cells left they need to change things completely. But I don't think they do.

Luisenigma1

Eva has been my N1 choice since day 1.

P.S. my figures were delivered today! Gonna see him next week! That was pretty fast! :monkey3

Zach McGowan definitely resembles game Geralt very well, even his natural voice matches,however he has not that ''start power'', we all know Netflix built the hype around Henry,but it's also a well known fact that he tried to get the part and he wasn't their first choice. I believe Liam was one of the frontrunners back then, that's how he showed up out of blue. I think Witcher needs HBO treatment, with lot of gore, sex, horror,monsters and drama+ epic music (I think show did pretty well with the soundtrack but needed more) Netflix tried to make it ''family friendly'' and that's where they failed first time. They had everything to make it huge, Idk how they managed to end up where they are now. If they have some brain cells left they need to change things completely. But I don't think they do.

Luisenigma1

Eva has been my N1 choice since day 1.

P.S. my figures were delivered today! Gonna see him next week! That was pretty fast! :monkey3
I rather get a good series with an actor who isn't big named then someone who is. Not to say Henry was a bad choice in the end but had it been zach who was already in Black Sails which is one of the best shows we've gotten in the last decade. He definitely would have put his all and gotten more fame from it. Plus I like everyone else thought the same when they casted Henry at the beginning "why did they cast superman, he's to handsome for Geralt" lol and yes Eva makes the perfect Yen.

It’s the writers/actor strike, can’t start production a show without them. Makes sense to just push it back months. They’ll get back to it and film 4 & 5. The show might have more budget now they don’t have to meet Henry’s increasingly high fee. Maybe they can get the good composers back for a start.
Pretty sure his fee going up & the writing going off a cliff at about the same time is no coincidence. I suspect he would have been happier to be there for less, if the writing had been better. When it became evident that they weren't going to change course, he finally had enough. I think they could have saved money by not making him feel like his integrity was being compromised.

Well I won't watch any of it, I hope you and others that do enjoy it.
I'm with you. This goes in the same pile of missed opportunities as Halo, World War Z, & the back half of Game of Thrones for me. I won't support it's continuation, but don't fault anyone who can't bear to look away. LOL

I've always felt The Witcher belonged on HBO. I was surprised they didn't try and lock up the rights when they knew D&D were done with GOT. It would have been a good fantasy series for them to go into right after GOT. Although, after that ending, maybe it was for the best that it wasn't on HBO since a lot of people might have not given it a chance after the last season of GOT.

Still, HBO would have done it right. I know some here didn't like The Last of Us show and that's ok, but overall HBO has been very committed to putting the right people in charge on their big budget shows and more often than not it shows. They'll have the occasional dud but I'm confident that if it were on HBO The Witcher would have been so much better in every aspect.

I've always felt The Witcher belonged on HBO. I was surprised they didn't try and lock up the rights when they knew D&D were done with GOT. It would have been a good fantasy series for them to go into right after GOT. Although, after that ending, maybe it was for the best that it wasn't on HBO since a lot of people might have not given it a chance after the last season of GOT.

Still, HBO would have done it right. I know some here didn't like The Last of Us show and that's ok, but overall HBO has been very committed to putting the right people in charge on their big budget shows and more often than not it shows. They'll have the occasional dud but I'm confident that if it were on HBO The Witcher would have been so much better in every aspect.
Even after GOT finished a lot of people felt the same about HOD but that surprised everyone and turned out way better of a show. Stars is another that comes to mind as they don't shy away from gritty TV.

It will be different watching the 4th season without Henry, but I think losing Tissaia as a character is going to be a bigger loss. She is easily the best actor in the series.

It will be different watching the 4th season without Henry, but I think losing Tissaia as a character is going to be a bigger loss. She is easily the best actor in the series.
Word is we might not see S4 with how the current state of Hollywood is. Serves them right because how they butchered the show and source material and castings, they also planned to only focus on Ciri next season so Geralt wouldn't have as much screen time so the whole recasting is pointless. But now I'll be happy if Netflix cancels it and sells the rights to a studio that will respect the source material and make something good but one can hope.

The next part of the story is going to be really hard to adapt for the show, Geralt and Ciri don't see each other again for 3 books, people are going to be pissed if that's the case even though it would be following what happened in the books.

Ah yeah… Because after all, this show is famous for pissing off fans due to being faithful to the books

I've been reading some reactions to Season 3, especially the last 3 episodes and a lot of people are complaining about things that are basically the same as the books. People that haven't read the books are just going to have a reaction to what they see on the show, just because something was done a certain way in the books doesn't mean that it's good (or entertaining).
The book this season was mostly pulling from ends when she goes through the portal, which works as a fitting and exciting ending.
I figure the people making the show wanted to show some of what happens afterwards but to the general audience it's a bit weird that the climax of the season was episode 6 out of 8.

For me, I was much more pleased with this season (this should have been in season 2 though) but I understand that to other people they don't care if it followed the book or not.

Finally started watching S3, and while I love all the stuff with Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri, I continue to be just as lost as ever when it comes to every other storyline in this show. 😄

I mean if they're not going to follow the books anyway, they might as well make it easier to follow for viewers like me who don't know every little thing about this world.

The next part of the story is going to be really hard to adapt for the show, Geralt and Ciri don't see each other again for 3 books, people are going to be pissed if that's the case even though it would be following what happened in the books.
Thank God they didn't turn Yennefer into a statue and not even have her involved in the story.

Books are one thing, but often things need to be changed when adapting them to the screen.

Finally started watching S3, and while I love all the stuff with Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri, I continue to be just as lost as ever when it comes to every other storyline in this show. 😄

I mean if they're not going to follow the books anyway, they might as well make it easier to follow for viewers like me who don't know every little thing about this world.
What was hard to understand? I never read the books or played the game, but followed the show pretty easily.

Back