The Witcher netflix series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got around to finishing season 2 in preparation for season 3 this week.

Season 2 is a slog, though Cavill is fantastic as Geralt.

Damm, I kinda don’t believe them…

IMG_4224.jpeg

"Meta" writing is usually code for the writers writing bilge and being smug about it.
No one wants to watch this show without Cavill, and replacing him with the discount Hemsworth ain't changing that.

Last edited:
"Meta" writing is usually code for the writers writing bilge and being smug about it.
No one wants to watch this show without Cavill, and replacing him with the discount Hemsworth ain't changing that.
“We promise you wont notice that this character has become an entirely different person”

Watched the newly released episodes for Season 3, it's sticking more closely to the books and it's much better than Season 2 was.
I'm getting concerned about how Season 4 will be without Cavill, I'm getting the impression that he may have been some of the driving force for some of the better parts of the show.

I watched first 2 episodes of S3. I can't compare to the books but I like how it's moving so far.

I just don't understand all the butt-hurt about not being book accurate (if that was Cavill's problem). Nothing wrong with a little deviation. But - I suppose one who has never read the books would say that. Compared to the games though, I totally and tonally feel that they're in that world.

Things don't need to be exactly how it is in the books but most of what was in Season 2 was just made up and wasn't connected very well to the overall story of the series and they also had characters doing things that would be conflicting with how they would need to be later on. Most of season 2 should have actually been replaced with what's going on right now in Season 3. After her time getting Witcher training she then goes and gets taught magic by Yennefer like it's happening in this season.

I finally got around to finishing season 2 in preparation for season 3 this week.

Season 2 is a slog, though Cavill is fantastic as Geralt.

S2 IMHO was kind of a mess.

Splitting up Jaskier from Geralt didn't make a ton of sense. Just kind of all over the place and not enough actual Cavill for some odd reason.

Still believe Freya Allan is miscast as Ciri. The original pilot was a struggle too, which I think lost a lot of potential viewers. If one has never played the games, they'd have to watch the first 3-4 episodes twice over to pick up on some pretty critical stuff.

Joey Batey as Jaskier is great. He brings real life to the show. A lot of balance. There's a humanizing effect once you pair him with Geralt, which IMHO was sorely missing in S2.

I watched first 2 episodes of S3. I can't compare to the books but I like how it's moving so far.

I just don't understand all the butt-hurt about not being book accurate (if that was Cavill's problem). Nothing wrong with a little deviation. But - I suppose one who has never read the books would say that. Compared to the games though, I totally and tonally feel that they're in that world.
A little deviation is fine yes where it makes sense. But turning Eskel, a character that does not die, into a tree monster and then killing him - plus changing Vesemir’s entire character is STUPID.

A little deviation is fine yes where it makes sense. But turning Eskel, a character that does not die, into a tree monster and then killing him - plus changing Vesemir’s entire character is STUPID.
I guess, I mean they lost a ton of Witchers. In Witcher 3, did a few missions w/Eskel and obviously Vesemir was much more of an aged Obi-Wan to Geralt & Ciri but if we never are going to see them again in this Netflix series, will it matter?

I guess, I mean they lost a ton of Witchers. In Witcher 3, did a few missions w/Eskel and obviously Vesemir was much more of an aged Obi-Wan to Geralt & Ciri but if we never are going to see them again in this Netflix series, will it matter?
Yes, it matters when they butcher pre-existing characters that people have attachments to.

S2 IMHO was kind of a mess.

Splitting up Jaskier from Geralt didn't make a ton of sense. Just kind of all over the place and not enough actual Cavill for some odd reason.

Still believe Freya Allan is miscast as Ciri. The original pilot was a struggle too, which I think lost a lot of potential viewers. If one has never played the games, they'd have to watch the first 3-4 episodes twice over to pick up on some pretty critical stuff.

Joey Batey as Jaskier is great. He brings real life to the show. A lot of balance. There's a humanizing effect once you pair him with Geralt, which IMHO was sorely missing in S2.

Absolutely agree with all your points especially this last one.
Jaskier and Geralt are a great double act and the actors have a lot of chemistry and I feel they aren't quite as strong apart, big mistake IMO.
If this show was ever gonna be rebooted the only 2 things I would save are Cavill as Geralt and Batey as Jaskier.

I'm not a big fan of Ciri and I know she's meant to be the lead character in later seasons, so that's not looking good for me keeping an interest.

I'm also sad that Tissaia is obviously going to die, after they've built such a close bond between her and Yennefer, it's just another heartache for Yenn to go through. MyAnna has been fantastic in the role.

I really think Hemsworth will be miscast in playing Geralt next season. Unless they do a bit to age him up, he looks a bit young to be a father figure to Ciri imo. Should have casted older.

Anyway, these first 5 episode were pretty good.

I don't know why people expect a carbon copy adaptation when it comes to these TV shows. Writers have to have some artistic licence and can't just be copying the book exactly. Some books have far too many characters that just can't be explored in a tv adaptation and therefore some need to be scrapped. I also think if everything that happens in the book, happens in the show, then there aren't many surprises. Particularly with social media these days, book spoilers everywhere.

I think of The Walking Dead and the massive changes they made to that. Daryl was made up for the show and became a fan favourite. Carol died early on, yet lasted the entire series run. Those were just 2 changes that improved the show.

I love Henry, but if you're gonna complain about the writing, that is certainly going to put you offside. It would also be pretty annoying to have someone on set being a bit of a know it all about the source material.

Watched the newly released episodes for Season 3, it's sticking more closely to the books and it's much better than Season 2 was.
I'm getting concerned about how Season 4 will be without Cavill, I'm getting the impression that he may have been some of the driving force for some of the better parts of the show.

I'll give Hemsworth a chance. Odds are it won't work out. But sometimes things surprise everyone.

I liked Spartacus Blood And Sand. The situation with Andy Whitfield was pretty tragic. However his replacement did IMHO a more than passable job to try to fill those big shoes.

I like Tom Cruise's Reacher. But I also liked the TV series one, Alan Ritchson, too. I'm hoping for a bit of a simpler story moving forward. The plotlines in S2 got pretty complex and spread out. I recognize there is a lot of established lore and canon here, but it's just going to resonate with audiences better to break things down into more manageable chunks for those who have never played the games nor read the books, etc, etc.

I don't know why people expect a carbon copy adaptation when it comes to these TV shows. Writers have to have some artistic licence and can't just be copying the book exactly. Some books have far too many characters that just can't be explored in a tv adaptation and therefore some need to be scrapped. I also think if everything that happens in the book, happens in the show, then there aren't many surprises. Particularly with social media these days, book spoilers everywhere.

I think of The Walking Dead and the massive changes they made to that. Daryl was made up for the show and became a fan favourite. Carol died early on, yet lasted the entire series run. Those were just 2 changes that improved the show.

I love Henry, but if you're gonna complain about the writing, that is certainly going to put you offside. It would also be pretty annoying to have someone on set being a bit of a know it all about the source material.
:dunno

To me, it feels like some just can't think outside the box. "If it didn't happen that way, then it CAN'T happen!".

Right, there can be changes that aren't bad or make things better, but for example they had going on with Yennefer in Season 2 was outside of her character and makes it more difficult for her to have a good relationship with Geralt/Ciri

Back