The Watchmen Easter eggs thread...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Hooded Justice was into some rough stuff as well. It was mentioned when they were talking about him and Nelly fighting if I am not mistaken.

Yeah, I got from the first reading that HJ was gay and into sadomachistic stuff. But I never really connected Captain Metropolis to being his partner.

I'm not sure if it's in the book (as I don't have my copy at the moment)
but in the opening at Silk Spectre I's retirement party the layout and positions of the people mirror those found in DaVinci's last supper (just more people in the last supper)

Finally got to see it last night, I thought the Dr Strangelove 'war room' was cool-
Strangelove_war_room.jpg

dr_strangelove_war_room_generals.jpg

war-room-temp.jpg

Liked it a lot on the whole, but it lacked a certain spark, technically superb but just lacking a bit of soul. I felt the same way about 300 so I lay it at Snyder’s feet.

Goodness, there are a gazillion Easter Eggs in the flick. Many of the ones in the thread aren't really Easter Eggs, though, so much as obvious references.

Some of my favorites:

- Vietnam as the newest (and 51st) State of the U.S. and tourist destination (though we already saw this from earlier screen shots). Also cool: the flag on Blake's coffin actually has 51 stars.

- In young Laurie's flashback of Sally arguing the camera pans to show a TV with footage of atrocities in Vietnam. On top of the TV is the same snow globe that played a bigger role in the book.

- The Comedian's funeral starts with a shot of a statue that replicates the cover of Issue 2.

- Blake's apartment # is 3001. When he throws the coffee cup (and misses) Ozy it knocks off the 1... for "300".

- Dave Gibbons' signature painted on one of the city lamp posts

- The Veidt T-shirt on the little girl during the tenament fire rescue

- The name of the pilot on the "Miss Jupiter" B-29 that bombs Hiroshima is Peter Aperlo, who is the author of the Watchmen Film Companion and Art of the Film books.

- During the Top Knots alley fight, one of the thugs is wearing a shirt with an upside-down anarchy symbol that looks much like the "V" symbol from V FOR VENDETTA

- On some of the TV screens that Adrian is watching in Karnak: RAMBO III and 300 SPARTANS

- Veidt's "Unforgettable" cologne TV ad (that Blake watches in the beginning) shows a guy walking across a pool towards a lady... a subtle nod to Manhattan in Karnak at the end of the book.

- The combination to Dr. Long's briefcase: 300

- An homage to an Urban Legend during the Opening Credits montage with Dr. Manhattan filming on the moon: As a young boy Neil Armstrong loved to play baseball. His neighbours were called the Gorsky's and one day he hit the ball into their porch. As he went to get it back, he heard Mrs Gorsky from the inside: "BLOWJOB?!! Yeah, when the kid next door walks on the moon...!" And so, on the moon, Armstrong was supposed to have said "Good luck Mr Gorsky"...Completely made up of course, but it was pretty cool that they put it in the film...

- The smiley face is also all over the place throughout the film

And, my personal favorite:

- During the brief scenes that feature the device Manhattan/Ozy are working on, some of the equipment and jackets the scientists are wearing feature a logo and the name of the project: Sub Quantum Intrinsic Device... (SQUID). :clap

Does it count that one of the generals in Nixon's war room (the first to really speak up) was Gary Chalk, most well known for his roles as the russian general in SG-1 and Optimus Primal in Beast Wars? :)

Oh, and one of the screens showed 1984, hehe. Then there's the toy display that matched up with the catalogue of the book, complete with the in scale Owlship.

"The Outer Limits" playing on the tv set in the last scene is a nod to the "Architects of Fear" episode that mirrors the squid plot of the GN.

Ok maybe I'm wrong but in the scene just before Ozzie gets attacked
the muzic playing in the lobby is Tears for Fears " Everybody wants to rule the world". Thought that said a lot for Ozzie.

noticed another thing in the film on my fourth view that i havent read about before,

when dan is standing naked looking at the nite owl suit, on the top shelf you can see the cowl from the comic book version of the nite owl suit lying on it's side without the goggles! trust me it's there!

Back