The Walls of Helm’s Deep Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The face looks much better in that pic. Thanks for sharing, Josh.

I still think I would have preferred something like this, but I can understand that it would be more difficult to sculpt correctly, with the open mouth.

ttt1339hg3.jpg

FlyAndFight said:
The face looks much better in that pic. Thanks for sharing, Josh.

I still think I would have preferred something like this, but I can understand that it would be more difficult to sculpt correctly, with the open mouth.

No problem. :)

I agree something like that would have maybe fit a bit more but we all know sculpting Viggo isn't easy. This could have made it as hard to get it as close as some may want it.

as an example of expressions in these dioramas: for the frodo and gollum piece I was asked to sculpt two elijah portraits because of the 'frenzied' nature of the sculpture. the initial intent was the have a teeth-bared-wild-eyed Frodo, but the straight face was done as insurance that the piece could go through approvals. when a head is about the size of your finger tip, you also have to think about paint applications and what that could do to a likeness.

from doing pieces this size, i know that for some reason getting all the features right is much more difficult than at 1/6 scale. (I honestly would have figured it would be easier *shrug*) it's tough to get any resemblance to the actor in there let along the character.

Hopefully there will be a time where licensors understand the need for intense expressions to satisfy the fan base. :) I love seeing stuff like that too

Trev

Personally, I thought that the Frodo in the Gollum and Frodo at Mount Doom diorama had more likeness with the real actor than the Premium Format (which is much bigger). I would have thought the other way around (as bigger means more possibilities to detail). :eek:

So I assume this goes up for order tonight?

I really like the overall look of this piece. But that Speeder Bike is going to take a bit of saving up...

I really like the looks of this. Very much in the spirit of the Marvel VS. dioramas that I used to collect.

However, my ordering is going to have to be cut back a bit in order to clear room in the budget for the Speeder Bike. But this still tempts me to use my reward points and get it for half price...

Back