The Walking Dead - TV Series on AMC ( Comic and Un-aired Spoilers unwelcome!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Walking Dead - TV Series on AMC

The search for the girl makes complete sense - that's how they got them into the woods, which leads them to the story point of Carl getting shot, which leads them to the farmhouse. Sophia will be there, I can almost guarantee it - and that's not something that happened in the books, in case you thought I was getting that from there. Using her to create the situation where Carl gets shot was much more dramatic than what happened in the books, and made for much more interesting television.

I thought this opening episode fit right in with the tone and feel of the rest of the show, something that the massive CDC explosion in the finale really didn't. This is a return to that slow tension, that quiet horror, and I thought they did an extremely good job of maintaining it for 90 minutes. Can't wait til next week!

I thought it was pretty good. I too was a little annoyed at the apparent inconsistencies in the zombie rules, like the smell thing people have brought up.

Spoiler Spoiler:

But it's been fun watching such a tense, suspenseful show. I'm not normally a zombie movie guy, but I've been enjoying this.

I would expect hair or clothing. But on the smell thing, yea, I did wonder about that too...

Then again, have they actually confirmed that it's smell the zombies are using? We know they can hear, and we know they can see - but when they lathered the guts on themselves last season, they also walked like zombies...so sight might be playing a big part as well. That actually makes more real world sense, since I don't think your sense of smell would improve all that much after you were dead. The smell thing can also be a reverse situation - it's not that you smell like a live person, it's that you DON'T smell like a dead person, where the human olfactory senses can certainly pick it up. In other words, when they see you they can tell you're alive because a) you look alive and b) you don't smell dead.

He's just hating to hate cuz all the cool kids are doing it these days.:cuckoo:

:lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

Not trying to be disrespectful here but I think the problem is that you're young. Kids today may be book smart but they are real world dumb. Like I stated before, the way the kids are portrayed is a lot more accurate than the action teens you posted. I have 4 girls and believe me when I say they get bent out of shape over some very insignificant things. They would shut down if they were around death and Zombies and very little of the luxuries that they are used to.

How's that? Kids today don't like to read. :dunno

I thought it was pretty good. I too was a little annoyed at the apparent inconsistencies in the zombie rules, like the smell thing people have brought up.

Did you watch The Talking Dead afterwards? They addressed that very issue with Kirkman himself who shed some light on it (aside from being hilarious - the show). Basically, when Rick and Glenn were stumbling about, they were bumping shoulders with the dead, not several feet away, hidden by the smell of an automobile. As Kirkman said, "they're not bloodhounds."

Last edited:

I don't know if it has been discussed and I know they brought it up during the Talking Dead show but it was really never answered what was up with the dead people in the cars?

Are these zombies or just people who decided to sit in their car and never get out? I know that sounds dumb but I'm still not understanding that...other then this point I thought the first episode was great!

I'm willing to go along with it. But they made such a big deal out of the smell thing last season that it seemed like more of a contradiction.

I didn't watch the Talking Dead, but it makes sense what Kirkman said. I'll buy that. I also like what Michael said above:
it's not that you smell like a live person, it's that you DON'T smell like a dead person, where the human olfactory senses can certainly pick it up. In other words, when they see you they can tell you're alive because a) you look alive and b) you don't smell dead.

Am I the only one who thinks Zombies are supposed to be slow and dimwitted? Sometimes the expressions on their faces shows more of a curiosity, when I thought they should be more of a blank expression.

I know it adds nervousness to the scenes when the zombies run fast after them, but if I remember correctly (and yes, I read the comics, have for a long time and buy them) they are slow. I want slow zombies.
:D

Am I the only one who thinks Zombies are supposed to be slow and dimwitted? Sometimes the expressions on their faces shows more of a curiosity, when I thought they should be more of a blank expression.

I know it adds nervousness to the scenes when the zombies run fast after them, but if I remember correctly (and yes, I read the comics, have for a long time and buy them) they are slow. I want slow zombies.
:D

Even Romero's zombies have shambled faster than the slow gait. So long as we don't get Dawn-remake zombies that sprint, I think it's fine. Makes it a bit more realistic too, since it's the olfactory brain at work, the "chase" instinct would trigger them to shamble a bit faster if they're in sight of prey vs. following other zombies.

I'm willing to go along with it. But they made such a big deal out of the smell thing last season that it seemed like more of a contradiction.

I didn't watch the Talking Dead, but it makes sense what Kirkman said. I'll buy that. I also like what Michael said above:

Well the survivors were hidden under automobiles that had dead people in them, so I bet the stink of those dead bodies masked the smell of the survivors. That is also why Daryl put him and T-dog under the dead bodies.

Well the survivors were hidden under automobiles that had dead people in them, so I bet the stink of those dead bodies masked the smell of the survivors. That is also why Daryl put him and T-dog under the dead bodies.

Did anyone ever figure out why those dead people weren't zombies, and why they just sat in their cars and died?

Did you watch The Talking Dead afterwards? They addressed that very issue with Kirkman himself who shed some light on it (aside from being hilarious - the show). Basically, when Rick and Glenn were stumbling about, they were bumping shoulders with the dead, not several feet away, hidden by the smell of an automobile. As Kirkman said, "they're not bloodhounds."

Yeah I saw that, and I thought it was bs. They were covered in zombie guts and the zombies could still smell them. Even if the rain was starting to wash it off, they would still reek of rotten flesh. If they're sense of smell is that good, they should smell people hiding right at their feet. But whatever, it's just a tv show. :dunno

I am sure there will be more than 6 this year??? Okay I'm not sure, I just hope. 12 would be nice.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yeah I saw that, and I thought it was bs. They were covered in zombie guts and the zombies could still smell them. Even if the rain was starting to wash it off, they would still reek of rotten flesh. If they're sense of smell is that good, they should smell people hiding right at their feet. But whatever, it's just a tv show. :dunno

It was also how they acted when it started washing off, both started panicking.

I am sure there will be more than 6 this year??? Okay I'm not sure, I just hope. 12 would be nice.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I think Hershall's is the early staging point. I think they'll wind up there by the finale.

I think they are doing 6 before the Holidays, a break, and 6 more around January/February. My friend does some promo stuff for AMC and that's what he was told. I think he said there were 13 episodes, so I don't know how they will be split.

13 episodes in the second season...they will be taking a break after the first 6 or 7 episodes until February. Their reasoning is the holidays and football playoffs/superbowl...they are waiting until after that to maximize viewers and ratings.

From a recent interview with Gale Anne Hurd who is a producer on the show:
"Shock: Your first season was only six episodes, which must have been hard since you got things going and then people have to wait for the new season. How has it been going working on a longer season and will the 13 episodes air weekly starting Sunday?
Hurd: Well, we take a hiatus after the seventh episode, so that people can enjoy Christmas, (Laughs) and football playoffs and the Super Bowl without having to make a "Sophie's Choice" with what they're going to watch. We pick up again in February after the Super Bowl. We've got seven episodes now, and then six starting in February."

13 episodes in the second season...they will be taking a break after the first 6 or 7 episodes until February. Their reasoning is the holidays and football playoffs/superbowl...they are waiting until after that to maximize viewers and ratings.

From a recent interview with Gale Anne Hurd who is a producer on the show:
"Shock: Your first season was only six episodes, which must have been hard since you got things going and then people have to wait for the new season. How has it been going working on a longer season and will the 13 episodes air weekly starting Sunday?
Hurd: Well, we take a hiatus after the seventh episode, so that people can enjoy Christmas, (Laughs) and football playoffs and the Super Bowl without having to make a "Sophie's Choice" with what they're going to watch. We pick up again in February after the Super Bowl. We've got seven episodes now, and then six starting in February."

That's what DVRs are for. :lecture

Back