The state of collecting.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creecher

Such is Life - Ned Kelly
Reaction score
Well the economic times are in decline. The stock markets are taking a battering, and confidence is low. One of the first casualties of commodity spending is usually toys.

We've had the discussion about Sideshows, apart form other companies, leap of prices and what we think may be causes, and how it will impede our spending. Now we are in these uncertain times, how will it affect your collecting?

For me, my currency has taken a 30% fall against the greenback, translating into a 30% rise in prices and the cost of shipping, causing the retail price to, in practicality, double. For the pre-orders I have already paid for, I am happy, but it will mean that some of the dealers will be taking a hit on those items when they fall due. I expect they may change their policies and charge when the item is ready to ship in future. On items that I have pre-ordered, that will be charged when they ship, I expect I may have to cancel some.

This is just the initial phase, and so far I don't think the worst has trickled down through the system, and the impact is yet to be felt by us as collectors. I say that, mainly because I don't see much change in peoples behaviours, and little discussion specifically on this subject. So I thought I'd bring it up.

So how is it/will it affect your collecting style? How does it translate to your particular situation? What do you envisage it as likely or remotely changing your behaviours. Will you cut down spending to accumulate funds, for a kill in the aftermath, when people become more desparate to sell, and need cash more that collectibles? What will you do?

How do you see it affecting companies such as Amoktime, who are valiantly trying to bring new and less mainstream figures to the market. Enterbay, being at the upper end of the market, currently, and intending to compete on the middle and lower ends as well.

Last edited:
Its changed my collecting style completely. My school district hasn't given us a Cost Of Living Adjustment (COLA) for three years now. We've been working sans contact for two. Which means my salary has gone up due to years of service but in reality hasn't really moved from the amounts I would have made in 2005. There is strike talk brewing. The only line I have agreed to be a completist in is The Dead. Every other line will be talking cuts. I have a sealed HT v1 Joker, sealed HT Batman Begins v2 that I'm considering throwing those for sale to help that the sting out a bit. My collecting days will never really be over because I was way worse off before and still buying but they have definitely taken a cut.

Its changed my collecting style completely. My school district hasn't given us a Cost Of Living Adjustment (COLA) for three years now. We've been working sans contact for two. Which means my salary has gone up due to years of service but in reality hasn't really moved from the amounts I would have made in 2005. There is strike talk brewing. The only line I have agreed to be a completist in is The Dead. Every other line will be talking cuts. I have a sealed HT v1 Joker, sealed HT Batman Begins v2 that I'm considering throwing those for sale to help that the sting out a bit. My collecting days will never really be over because I was way worse off before and still buying but they have definitely taken a cut.

At my school we don't get years of service raises past 7. I get a 2% raise every year, but whenever that goes up, our health benefits cost go up. I hate it and wish I could get another job, but I live in a small town and jobs are hard to find, let alone anything that pays more than minimum. I've always had to limit myself on what I buy, so I'm used to it.

I cancelled all my hot toys predator preorders, and my HT Kane order (at a 10% cancellation penalty). Also cancelled the mindeyez Hell boy statue. Considering cnacelling the HT IM Mk II & III Ex. And possibly the SS Indy 12".

I just decided I need to cut down on spending if economy is going to keep slumping like it is, so dramatically and so quickly.

After I get the Predator CM I am gonna stop completely for a while...(cold turkey) No more Hot Toys for me...

At my school we don't get years of service raises past 7. I get a 2% raise every year, but whenever that goes up, our health benefits cost go up. I hate it and wish I could get another job, but I live in a small town and jobs are hard to find, let alone anything that pays more than minimum. I've always had to limit myself on what I buy, so I'm used to it.

Wow...we have a limit of up to 25 years, but our district used to cover our benefits completely and has stopped in the last couple of years so our pay is not longer comparable since they were using that originally to not give us a raise....

It's certainly taken a toll on my collecting. I don't even get as many commissions anymore. It's a rare feat to sell a figure or a headpaint.

And I've had to sell stuff for basic costs, I have had to cancel at least 80% of my recently shipped orders. And I foresee it getting worse.

i think everyone adjusts to one basic formula........money in vs. money out. whether it is the cost of living, a new job with more pay, loss of a job & loss of income,.........whatever. hopefully we dont let our hobby overtake us too much where we are overspending and not making our mortgage/rent payment and grocery bill and all the necessities to run our everyday lives. lets face it toys are extras.........we dont need them as much as we might think we do :D. it does suck to say the least when the time of shipping or our credit cards are about to be charged to learn we dont have enough to cover it. but i think we can honestly all say we havent had much more than an envious panic attack if we didnt get to buy something at a certain time that others could. one reason i love this board...........i can live vicariously thru other people's collection pics......:banana

Last edited:
I pulled the plug totally on 1/6. The way things are, spending $100+ a pop for dolls seemed a bit crazy. I'll just have to settle for window shopping.

And you can forget about trying to sell/flip on Ebay for a profit anymore. People just don't have the cash anymore to spend on toys like they did a year ago.

It won't change the way I collect too much. I was starting to 'clean up' my collection a bit anyways, now it just gives me an excuse to sell off the pieces that either aren't being displayed or won't be getting any shelf time in the near future.
I really don't think that the state of the economy will effect high end collectibles all that much. The people who are willing to spend $300 on a new statue or $1500 on a grail piece typically have the disposable income to do so.

And you can forget about trying to sell/flip on Ebay for a profit anymore. People just don't have the cash anymore to spend on toys like they did a year ago.

It may not be quite as easy as it used to, but it'll still happen. Take the exclusive thor for example... it's still bringing pretty good prices. Granted, they'll probably find permanant homes a lot faster since a lot of the people initially buying them did so to make a quick buck. I don't see many of these selling for less than 500, if any. Same goes for any other 'must have' piece.

Wow...we have a limit of up to 25 years, but our district used to cover our benefits completely and has stopped in the last couple of years so our pay is not longer comparable since they were using that originally to not give us a raise....

Our teacher's benefits are 95% but our benefits stink. But, what can you do?

I'm pruning the stuff that I have no room to display, even if I love it.

If both Medicom and HT are releasing a character, I'm only buying the HT, whereas I used to get both.

Things I might have pulled the trigger on automatically I'm thinking about longer - such as the Cinemaquette Indy and the BSG Cylon Raider.

And I cancelled the Reservoir Dogs.

Only statue I have bought is one for Booyah!'s birthday... Iron Man. I simply cannot afford buying them anymore. The company kept cutting my pay, and we are moving down to North Carolina in December. So we both will have to find new jobs... and with our little Darth Critter... he comes first. The economy is very very scary. Not a good time to have to start over but I think in my case it will be heaven. They are making me work for free again anyways.

I don't buy exclusives directly from SSC anymore (well--- hardly anymore) and I hold back on some purchases that I might have jumped at easily earlier. However, having said that the 1/6 is still firmly being collected and the PF's as well-- with only slight pauses (Ventress was cancelled and the Sandperson was never ordered).

Back