The Official T-800 Comparison Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but in this case OMG's pics, for once, did not show the figure (DX10) looking its best. Even I'd agree from that particular shot that the MMS head looks better and I've been one of its detractors since it came out. However its not 'more accurate'.

The OMG photo is not a great comparison. For whatever reasons, his photos make it look darker and younger because the detail of the age lines is lost.

I always thought the MMS looked worse with the sunglasses on because it draws attention to a very inaccurate jaw and mouth, not that it's much better with the eyes visible anyway. It's more like someone described Arnold's features to the sculpter and they just went on that alone. I know that's not the case because the proto looked pretty good, a more accurate representation of Arnold. I can only speculate that something went wrong during the molding process.

The real strength it has over the DX is the paint job, and I believe Rory speculated that the material they now use for the production figures is part of the problem, being of inferior quality.

I always thought the MMS looked worse with the sunglasses on because it draws attention to a very inaccurate jaw and mouth

Funny because looking at it (in hand). With the sunny's on, the Jaw and mouth look more accurate to me on the MMS (although the better paint could be part of that). The face looks a little bloated although the nose is much better on the DX by miles.

The thing is unless you have both figures in your hand it's hard to make an accurate comparison.

At the end of the day , I really don't think that the leap in quality reflects the time spent. Which is why personally I have no urge to buy this when I could save the money for the DX13.

It's like the MMS was an Iphone 4 and the DX was an Iphone 4S. Except they had years to work on it.

Yeah but in this case OMG's pics, for once, did not show the figure (DX10) looking its best. Even I'd agree from that particular shot that the MMS head looks better and I've been one of its detractors since it came out. However its not 'more accurate'.

All talk no proof. Let's see more comparison pics then!!! :wink1:

All talk no proof. Let's see more comparison pics then!!! :wink1:

Unfortunately I don't have the figure yet. I just know theres no way barrell-bodied, toadfaced MMS117 can be more accurate than DX10. Any comparison to the film shows how off that figure is much as it impressed when it first came out.

Let's not forget that there are variations within the same release from figure to figure.

I have two of the MMS 117 and when I put those side by side, one is clearly better than the other. On one the neck is thick and looks appropriate to the head while the other is not. One has a better skin tone and paint applications while the other does not. Even the clothes are different from figure to figure in terms of tailoring.

I'm sure the same is true for the DX 10.

Thats what I see when I look at that figure. And though I don't yet have DX10 in hand I have a feeling from the many many pics we've seen now, that it corrects those issues at least somewhat.

However, people are free to prefer what they prefer, I apologise if I'm being too forceful with my view. I do that sometimes.

Thats what I see when I look at that figure. And though I don't yet have DX10 in hand I have a feeling from the many many pics we've seen now, that it corrects those issues at least somewhat.

However, people are free to prefer what they prefer, I apologise if I'm being too forceful with my view. I do that sometimes.
I'm just having a friendly dig mate. :lol :1-1:

This is after all, the comparison thread - & if we could sum up the story here.. it's that both versions have copped unnecessary flack to date.

There are brilliant things about both figures, but the DX10.. mm.. in some pics I still see Benicio Del Damon-negger. It's amazing how certain angles really skew the likeness.

I know the MMS isn't accurate - believe me, but I feel it absolutely captures the essence of an older Arnold from the 90s.

Conversely - while a great Arnold likeness, I can't really say the aforementioned about the DX10 to be honest. :huh

I think you're being a little harsh there a-dev. :lol

Seriously. I remember being right there with you in 2009 or 2010 when we were both in the minority with our "squashed" face T-800 criticisms when the proto/specs went up for the MMS 117. I remember being on the fence for months with it. I forget who convinced me, maybe Maulfan.

However, and correct me if I'm wrong, once we both got it in hand we opened up more to it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Well atleast I did. It ended up being one of my favorite figures and I definitely looked past the problems I had with it like the squashed face and hard, strained features. In hand, my biggest issues were the elbows and shoulders, not really anything else.

But time hasn't been kind. I'm of the mind that we all tend to get tired of our collection once we have it for a while and new things pop up, especially if we have multiples. We don't really see them with the same eyes we did when they were first released because it's too damn hard with modernity, new releases, time and excess. I'm sure the same will apply to even the most praised figure. Besides, how long before the DX 10 is seen in a different light? It never ends.

This new one is definitely better, but I'm not about to rip on it and sell off my MMS 117. Inferior or not, it's still great. I don't really understand how people that have one can write it off so quickly, especially if they're Terminator fans. If anything, it compliments this DX 10 and the DX 13. Three versions, all essential. This one has more going for it than it does against it in my opinion. The originality of the piece, it being the first T2 T-800 from Sideshow, the rose box, the roses, the arm, the black shirt, etc.

As far as the comparison pics go, I don't think ANY pics do either figure justice. Sometimes the DX 10 looks terrible, sometimes the MMS 117 looks really bad. It all depends on the photo AND the figure. I'm looking at my black teed MMS 117 with shot gun and the adjusted collar (with the cape clip that I see lots of people don't utilize in the comparison pics) and I really don't see anything crap about it. My criticisms with the headsculpt are there, sure, but it's over looked. It's definitely Arnold as the T-800 from T2.

Will the DX 10 look better when it's on my shelf? Probably. But I won't even compare them. One's from three years ago and represents the Terminator in the beginning of the film. The other is only a few weeks old and represents the Terminator from the middle of the film. There's bound to be a difference.

It was less than a year ago when everyone was buying COO models and black gloved hands for their MMS 117 and feeling the regular version was complete. Everyone seemed fulfilled and happy except for the missing Battle Damaged T-800. Now? Everything is completely different.

I think you're being a little harsh there a-dev. :lol

I don't think what I said was harsh. What I said was no harsher than the stuff I've always been saying about MMS117. I've been consistent on it. However I have a feeling you're detecting what I admit is my lowered opinion of that figure these past few months - not just since DX10 turned up in people's hands but ever since I did that Pescadero photoshoot where I was looking at the film and trying to mimic the exact shots from the movie. The old figure just, frankly, to paraphrase Sarah Connor ''didn't measure up''. I could see it was pretty off indeed.

Now, looking at the figure by itself on your shelf with the paperclip mod and a decent pose and yeah it looks cool. But as figure standards improve and improve I feel that the next step is to really and truly mimic the actor/character in every way, not just the facial likeness but also the body size and shape (MMS117 was a step up from the old SS figure in this regard but was nevertheless always too big). What can I say, I think DX10 is closer, though itself still not as close as I would ideally like. I think the neck is still terrible for example.

I do actually agree on the body shape a-dev - it is chunkier than it should be.

Arnold was slimmer in the 90s - obviously, & either figure doesn't represent that as well as they could, with better bodies.

I don't think what I said was harsh. What I said was no harsher than the stuff I've always been saying about MMS117. I've been consistent on it. However I have a feeling you're detecting what I admit is my lowered opinion of that figure these past few months - not just since DX10 turned up in people's hands but ever since I did that Pescadero photoshoot where I was looking at the film and trying to mimic the exact shots from the movie. The old figure just, frankly, to paraphrase Sarah Connor ''didn't measure up''. I could see it was pretty off indeed.

Now, looking at the figure by itself on your shelf with the paperclip mod and a decent pose and yeah it looks cool. But as figure standards improve and improve I feel that the next step is to really and truly mimic the actor/character in every way, not just the facial likeness but also the body size and shape (MMS117 was a step up from the old SS figure in this regard but was nevertheless always too big). What can I say, I think DX10 is closer, though itself still not as close as I would ideally like. I think the neck is still terrible for example.

Why you spoiled brat! :mad:

Remember the action? Remember the danger? Remember the emotion? Remember the mission?

HT%20T%20800%20003.jpg

HT%20T%20800%20048.jpg

HT%20T%20800%20051.jpg

HT%20T%20800%20042.jpg

HT%20T%20800%20031.jpg

newt8005.jpg

newt8003.jpg

HT%20T%20800%20031.jpg

:hi5:

I’ve never changed my mind over a figure so many times as this one! I’m pretty much a diehard terminator fan and like both (MMS 117 he he), just thankful this franchise gets so much talented attention. Stop whining, you lack discipline, battle damage Arnie is coming ladies….. ooh yeah dig it!

Back