The Losing Intrest In Hot Toys Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, the "cookie cutter" syndrome is starting to set in.

Getting sick and tired of Iron Man/War Machine after Iron Man/War Machine, Captain America
after Captain America, even Black Widow after Black Widow and now even Hawkeye after Hawkeye.

I was stuck in the thought process of upgrading with each new, better head sculpt… but even that seems to have reached it's peak.

Still have these on preorder:

• Ultron Prime
• Hulkbuster
• Deadpool
• Drax

Kept my Man of Steel Supes, so I will complete the Trinity:

• BvS Batman
• BvS Wonder Woman

After that, these guys are on my "thinking about" list…

• CW Scarlet Witch (not sure which look I prefer yet)
• CW Winter Soldier (got rid of WS Winter Soldier, so probably a yes)
• CW Black Widow (may become my default Black Widow -- will have to see what she looks like)
• CW Falcon (don't have WS Falcon, so probably a yes)
• CW War Machine Mark 3 (while I like the bulkiness of the armor -- still not sold completely)
• CW Black Panther (know he is coming -- probably a yes)
• CW Spider-Man (know he is coming -- probably a yes)

Won't bite on another Vision or Ant-Man, No to the Mark 46 (Power Pose or otherwise)
Still on the fence about Thanos -- may very well wait until Infinity Wars.

So, while I won't say that I have lost interest by any means, I am becoming very selective in
what I will/won't buy from Hot Toys.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, the ultimate decision maker will become your available space. No perfection of sculpt nor drop in price will give you more space to display.

The only people who feel they are "tired" of HT are the ones running out of space and/or running out of cash for the hobby.

As some have mentioned it isn't really that I am tired of HT. It's that HT doesn't have licenses I'm all that interested in. I have some of their early Iron Men, Capt. America, etc., but I don't need another incarnation of those characters. Initially, it was exciting because there weren't any figures of good quality for these characters. Now we're on the umpteenth version for some of these characters. Some collectors, for whatever reasons, only know HT. My money has always been spread out in the 1/6 market. If HT decides to visit licenses I care about they will get my money again.

I am not burned out but after the fall/winter of Star Wars OT, my wallet is! I don't think they did as good on these as they could have due to rushing so many figures out in such a short time but still have bought most of them and do enjoy the figures despite my criticisms.

Asmus has been getting a chunk of my change for their LOTR/Hobbit stuff and 3Zero for GOT line. I still buy unusual figures that spark my interest from other manufacturers as well so it is tough to be a dedicated HT collector in this day in age which is pretty lucky in my book.

As Wor-Gar said, my collection space is dwindling and I am going to have to make harder decisions in the coming year or part with something (possibly my wife but I am sure she would take at least half my collection out of spite). I have so far limited my Marvel intake to 1 Black Widow, Milk edition War Machine and Ghost Rider on bike. While I think they all look great, I cannot let myself go down that rabbit hole.

I'd like to see Hot Toys go back to their roots and develop figures based on cult classic licenses and previously untouched properties. I get the Marvel, Star Wars and DC thing is their cash cow, but peppering in obscure fan favorites like Marty McFly more frequently would get me excited about their offerings again.

The mystery of not knowing what Hot Toys were going to announce next, instead of what Marvel figure they were going to announce next, was great. If there is any positive from this it's that Hot Toys is leaving the door open for other companies. Mark my words, in a little over 3 months from now everyone will be talking about Blitzway.

Hmmm...possible 1/6 or 1/4 T2 T-800 for its 25th anniversary, or maybe 1/6 Rocky?

"...when a man is tired of Hot Toys, he is tired of life; for there is in Hot Toys all that life can afford."

— Samuel Johnson

been there, done that, got a closet full of things i don't need.

I no longer have any 1/6th brand loyalty. I only buy figures i want, and I could care less who makes them, so long as they look good.

I was priced out a while back, around the time Sideshow comic book batman came out.

Raising prices, Raising a family, and bills made me stop. my last figure was the rocket and groot set.

Once i get a tennant in the house, I'll pay down some of these monsterous bills, and get my life moving forward again.

After that, I think i'm gonna get back into the 1/6th game. but be much much pickier.

I AM looking forward to the BTTF II Marty, if they ever release him, however.

Ive never been hung up on any one company enough to say I'll never buy from them again. As far as HT goes, as mentioned, they've regurgitated so many characters so much, that in itself is becoming boring, but every now and then something they make peaks my interest. For the most part, the majority of my 1/6 dollar has always been spread out amongst many different manufacturers, and HT itself makes up less than 1/8 of my entire collection.

I was just thinking about this the other night. I have never been a hard core HT collector, but post move was surprised I had more of them dotting my collection than I had realized, which made me think that I don't have anything from them on order. That is really twofold, I prefer 1/4 statues, so if I am going 1/6 or for HT, it is usually for something not filled in the larger or statue scale. SS own cult classic's come to mind. Even though they haven't achieved HT levels, they still offer something unique. That was what was great about Marty McFly. Wish they would sprinkle in a few unique licenses once in awhile, or not. The other reason I have drifted away is the price. If I am going to hemmorage that much cash, might as well splurge on the larger version.

I have no interest in modern DC, Marvel or Star Wars stuff so I'm outside of Hot Toys current target audience right now. The only Hot Toys I have left in my collection are their Robocop stuff, The Godfather and 1966 Batman and Robin. Others that I had any interest in over the last couple of years like Marty Mcfly, John Matrix and the most recent BD T800 I've ended up moving on pretty quick, as the likeness wasn't really there. I'll pick up the 1966 Batmobile and Ripley if they ever see the light of day, but beyond that it's looking like customs will continue to make up the bulk of my purchases.

Lossing interest due to:

Increasing price and decreasing accesories/extras
Repeating the same character all time with a new accesorie or detail......
They only made new films characters (Marvel , DC and Star Wars), no Mad Max , evil dead , tv series characters.....

I was collecting every single marvel and dc hot toy coming out. The more I got the more I had on order. Then I bought a house and I started selling my collection piece by piece. I haven't purchased anything not even a comic book in the year since buying my house. I miss it but since I sold off mostly everything the desire to get back into it is gone. Plus they just keep pumping out iron man figs and the same avengers over and over. I still have my Nolan batman collection and hoping one day I can make a nice little nerd cave to show it off. Hot toys volume/prices paired with my home purchase killed the hobby for me.

Losing interest in Hot Toys? Maybe. Their Marvel output is overwhelming and I've never allowed myself to get into that. :lol

Losing interest in other 1/6 companies or customising though? No way.

Another way I like to limit myself is that I only buy figures where the likeness, to me, is perfect. The quickest way for me to start getting bored with a particular collecting hobby is when I start buying mediocre pieces.

I'm not losing interest, but I'm not interested in the same characters. I don't need 40 Ironmans, 5 black widows, 12 Captain Americans, 25 Batmans, 12 Jokers. 14 Thors. I'm excited about getting Drax!!

Yes for 2 reasons, pricing and repetitive releases. I'd be ok with one or the other, low prices and repetitive releases OR higher pricing but knock-your-socks-off releases...but both kills the game.

I got into Hot toys when they had all of the Aliens and Predators figures. I pretty much own all of the original Predators and Ripley. There are companies like Three-zero, Three A and Pop Culture Shock that are releasing figures that are on par with hot toys and alot less expensive. I still think it is special to get a hot toys figure in the mail.

Pro's for me

Batman
Xmen
Terminator
Aliens and Predator

Cons

Too many Iron Man figures. It is getting pretty annoying but I think Iron Man is very popular in Asia and they have a big market for Iron Man figures.

Too expensive.

lacking Accessories.

No Prometheus figures ;(

My current Hot toys Pre orders

Aliens Vs Predator Elder Predator
Batman vs superman Armour Batman
Batman VS Superman Regular Batman
BVS Wonder-women
BVS Superman
Finn and Riot control storm-trooper
Captain Phasma
Ray and BB8
Hot toys terminator Endo Skeleton

I think I have enough Hot Toys on Pre Order.

My only problem with Hot Toys is we still haven't seen a Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman. If they ever give us one all will be forgiven.

Back