The Interview

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, well, no one is upset it was canned because they were dying to see it. :lol

Everyone is just pissed that Sony gave in to North Korean terrorist's demands instead of standing up for free speech. Sony is in a world of hurt.

You were saying, batfan? :lol

Best thing they can do, at this point, is put it behind them and not try to be 'smart' with it. It's been a total disaster for them. Would just look stupid if it went straight to blu-ray. Apparently they lost $200M on The Lone Ranger, so they can absorb a big loss like this no problem.

Pretty big difference between "loser with a keyboard" and state sponsered hacking. Anyway, it's no loss, looking at the crap trailer. Hopefully this does some good by encouraging companies to safeguard their systems and information. This hack was only possible because of how lax Sony was.

Yeah, I was saying. Of course it's "completely shelved." It's literally been one day since it was pulled.:lol If ever they were going to announce something, I highly doubt it would be right now.:lol I don't know why they need to put it "behind" them. I'll be honest, I didn't think it looked that great, but I don't like the idea of buckling under pressure from terrorists. It sets an ugly precedent, and that's the only reason I want this thing to be released.

Also, they didn't lose **** on "The Lone Ranger." That was a Disney movie, which Sony had nothing to do with.:lol

this just keeps getting better :lol

3cm8MxM.png

Judd Apatow was quoted as saying the movie would be released even if he had to do it for free.

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was saying. Of course it's "completely shelved." It's literally been one day since it was pulled.:lol If ever they were going to announce something, I highly doubt it would be right now.:lol I don't know why they need to put it "behind" them. I'll be honest, I didn't think it looked that great, but I don't like the idea of buckling under pressure from terrorists. It sets an ugly precedent, and that's the only reason I want this thing to be released.

Also, they didn't lose **** on "The Lone Ranger." That was a Disney movie, which Sony had nothing to do with.:lol
Re: Lone Ranger, one of the analysts discussing Sony's loss brought it up, specifically to advise Sony could weather a complete loss on this movie, but maybe I missed some other context.

But regardless, you seriously think that they're going to release this later? What don't you get about "completely shelved"? Whatever, believe in your fantasy, if it makes you think releasing it would be some big victory against terrorism. :lol

Really, who gives a **** about some stupid movie. Real terrorism is what the Pakistani Taliban did to those poor kids and teachers. This doesn't even rate.

Judd Apatow was quoted as saying the movie would be released even if he had to do it for free.
Might get leaked for free. I could see that. Don't believe Sony will make one cent back from this movie, though.

this just keeps getting better :lol

3cm8MxM.png
:lol

Gonna have to send Kim a list of upcoming movies I feel he should take umbrage to. :lol

Last edited:
This isn't about a movie - it's about an ideal of free speech.

It's terrible when people die at the hands of terrorists. It's terrible whenever they die needlessly. But they die, if not then, eventually.

But ideals like freedom of speech don't have to die. I had relatives die in wars to protect that very freedom, along with the others we have, and they felt those freedoms were worth dying for.

Yea, it's just a stupid movie...to us. Clearly, it's not just a stupid movie to them. Dictatorships like North Korea understand the power of the media to create unrest and upheaval. This sort of rule creates paranoia and fear, even in the ruler. This is a guy who had his own uncle executed out of fear for his position. If this turns out to be orchestrated by them - or simply paid for by them - it will be seen as a 'win' by every nut job wacko group that wants to find a bloodless way to attack the very things that are the bedrock of freedom. So while it's a just a stupid movie, there's much more to it than just the movie.

It's terrible when people die at the hands of terrorists. It's terrible whenever they die needlessly. But they die, if not then, eventually.

But ideals like freedom of speech don't have to die. I had relatives die in wars to protect that very freedom, along with the others we have, and they felt those freedoms were worth dying for.

Yea, it's just a stupid movie...to us. Clearly, it's not just a stupid movie to them. Dictatorships like North Korea understand the power of the media to create unrest and upheaval. This sort of rule creates paranoia and fear, even in the ruler. This is a guy who had his own uncle executed out of fear for his position. If this turns out to be orchestrated by them - or simply paid for by them - it will be seen as a 'win' by every nut job wacko group that wants to find a bloodless way to attack the very things that are the bedrock of freedom. So while it's a just a stupid movie, there's much more to it than just the movie.
I think it'll likely get leaked for free, so that will provide the symbolic victory for democracy and freedom of speech.

My argument with batfan is really more to do with Sony's ability to re-monitize the release. I don't think they could or should.

It's not about this being "real terrorism," but it's still terrorism, regardless. What happened in Pakistan was a tragedy, and you're absolutely right in that this is trivial, in comparison, but, if I may pose a question, what kind of message does that send to the "real terrorists," if a group of computer nerds can have this much success in bringing an American corporation to its knees, and, once it starts, where does it end? The filmmaking industry has a significant role in the American economy. It generates billions of dollars in revenue, annually, and it creates thousands of jobs. Therefore, crippling the film industry has the potential to significantly damage America's economy. The likelihood of that happening is probably slim to none, but my point is that, once those floodgates are opened, there's always the potential.

Sony releasing The Interview, and saying "we're not going to turn down potential revenue based on unfounded threats," could be a way to, at least ensure this isn't a total loss. Like I said, I didn't even think the film looked that good. I just think that this sort of thing shouldn't happen; it's probably blasphemy to even have the two in the same sentence, but I'm sure there was significant pressure on Charlie Chaplin when he made "The Great Dictator," and he was poking fun at a man far more powerful and ruthless than Un, yet he didn't concede, so, why now? Like I said, I think once you link the threats to North Korea, they pretty much have to be unfounded, because I genuinely cannot see a country going to war over a comedy film.

the funny thing for me is that if it was religious people that got offended or something like that over a movie our american society will ban it itself.
it is starting to happen, look at how many online petitions are getting mainstream recognition over people got offended over comments by other or by art works like music or movies. i dont want to bring up specific examples but people over here have been doing a good job with censorship of offensive things. But because the censorship is done by our own people everyone else just turns a blind eye

This is so nuts haha. I hope they stream the movie for free. that would be a big FU to NK.

it wont be released officially but i think we can expect some kind of leak. i think it is safe to say someone will leak it

Last edited:
The difference lies in the fact that, in all those other cases, the offended parties didn't threaten to blow up places that showed or carried the item that offended them.

I get the larger arguments but I just don't have any sympathy for them. Sony doesn't appear to have had even minimal safeguards against this attack and broke every rule in the book in regards to protecting their network. Every account I've read has said a breach like this shouldn't have been possible. Hope it's a big wake-up call for everyone. Really I'd be more concerned for the 50k people with their SSNs out there than what pulling the movie means in regards to any precedent set. If corporations take internet security seriously, this is very likely a one-time incident.

Last edited:
Even if Sony releases it very few theatres will chose to show it show so what did that accomplish? I think every major theater company pulled it before Sony did.

The difference lies in the fact that, in all those other cases, the offended parties didn't threaten to blow up places that showed or carried the item that offended them.

which is why they cant release it, what if they release it and something really bad happens? would you risk releasing this if someone got hurt? even just one person?

i can understand why they pull back, my real question would be why they green lit this in the first place. why make it a Christmas movie? why spend so much? if they hd so much faith in this project why not handle it better? (do it in cgi like a pixar movie, release it in February :lol)

I think part of the reason team America got away with it was because how absurd the whole thing was. how stupid as a concept it was to have talking puppets as characters.

I think part of the reason team America got away with it was because how absurd the whole thing was. how stupid as a concept it was to have talking puppets as characters.
They obviously have something on studio people or they wouldn't continue to be able to practically do whatever they want.

Back