The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's hard to believe that you didn't compare films from the same writer, director, consisting of a few of the same actors, etc. I can understand not comparing The Hobbit to Star Wars, but not comparing it to LOTR? That doesn't seem plausible.

With the amazing all around quality of LOTR, I think the drop off from LOTR to The Hobbit was about 10X greater than the drop off of SW to the prequels. Its really that far night and day.

I'm no hater, either. I've seen LOTR dozens of times over the past decade. I saw Fellowship like 7 times in the theater. I doubt I'll see the Hobbit trilogy more than twice.

+1

I think I blew my rep wad too early on you. :lol

the thing that bothers me personally is that There were talks about Universal doing a LOTR/Hobbit land in their parks and because of what Peter Lucas Jackson did the chances of getting an amazing land inspired by this property will never happen. (the Tolkien state was so pissed about it they flat out refused to come to a deal for the parks)

We must read things differently because from what I read, it was all a rumor and some that said Universal and some Disney. The speculation was that the Tolkien estate would never agree to it because they didn't care for the movies. Tolkien never actually said a word about the parks.

Nothing ever came of these rumors.

That's hard to believe that you didn't compare films from the same writer, director, consisting of a few of the same actors, etc. I can understand not comparing The Hobbit to Star Wars, but not comparing it to LOTR? That doesn't seem plausible.

With the amazing all around quality of LOTR, I think the drop off from LOTR to The Hobbit was about 10X greater than the drop off of SW to the prequels. Its really that far night and day.

I'm no hater, either. I've seen LOTR dozens of times over the past decade. I saw Fellowship like 7 times in the theater. I doubt I'll see the Hobbit trilogy more than twice.

wow, Im glad this didnt come from me, couldn't have said it better myself

Had Hobbit been one movie people would've complained that it sucked because it wasn't the same as LOTR with 3 movies. :lol

When LotR came out it got all kinds of complaints too. It's just the way it is.

btw......you wife said you can only see the new Avengers movie once. Only once.

We must read things differently because from what I read, it was all a rumor and some that said Universal and some Disney. The speculation was that the Tolkien estate would never agree to it because they didn't care for the movies. Tolkien never actually said a word about the parks.

Nothing ever came of these rumors.

Universal did sent a Survey to annual pass holders and there were some questions about the Hobbit and middle earth in general. there were around 5 to 7 questions about middle earth and how would people react, there were two surveys. one on 2010 and another in 2012 (before the hobbit movie)

for this to show up in an official survey it does mean there is real interest and it means universal is trying to at least create a buzz to get the rights, they were asking about these as well:

KyAUWnD.jpg

they wouldn't be asking people if they were not interested. Disney has Avatar to worry about and seeing how terriblre they treated the Potter property I really doubt they would go for it.
Universal is the only one that can pull it off and the ones that were asking about it and trying to get the rights

Never said there wasn't an interest, but it was just a rumor that there was any way shape or form a deal and that Tolkien nixed it due to Jackson.

OMG...not Twilight! :lol

Honestly, Hobbit might have worked for a part of a theme park the way Potter does. It's more magical and less massive than LOTR. Smaug, Mirkwood, Rivendell, Stone Trolls, Laketown. I can see it now, and I love it. I'd go!

ween is right that there are a lot of rumors, nothing confirmed, but I did read another rumor that they wanted to replace the Popeye's water ride with this:

Such a good movie. Loved the series and i loved middle earth. gonna miss it. The ending makes me want to go on a Lotr binge and watch hobbit through lotr straight through.

Such a good movie. Loved the series and i loved middle earth. gonna miss it. The ending makes me want to go on a Lotr binge and watch hobbit through lotr straight through.

I watched the extended LotR in one sitting. Not sure I could do the extended of all six in a row.

I just watched FOTR for the first time in a couple years to see how it played while I was still buzzing on BOTFA.

Wow, wow, WOW that movie is still as good as ever. Really good. REALLY GOOD. And for BOTFA or the Hobbit trilogy in general to not match it is no insult. Fellowship of the Ring is just one special thing. Yeah, it's better than the Hobbit. But its also better than The Shawshank Redemption. And Pulp Fiction. And Jaws. And Star Wars. And The Two Towers. So while "The Hobbit" isn't "as good" a little perspective is also good.

So much of FOTR played so differently after BOTFA, and in a good way! I totally forgot that Legolas' first line of the movie is "He is no ranger, he is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and you owe him your allegiance." Really cool counterpoint to the last thing that Thranduil tells him before he exits the Hobbit trilogy.

The non-CG orcs didn't seem jarring at all. Of course they were totally awesome and appropriately done for the LOTR trilogy. But they didn't make me think for one second that the Hobbit's CG orcs were "wrong." So much of Galadriel's prologue about the world changing, things fading into myth and legend rung so much more true after being able to witness the events of the Hobbit. CG orcs totally work in a land of traveling and singing dwarves, talking spiders, groups of wizards who assist each other in battle. But FOTR makes it oh so clear that that time is virtually at an end. Dwarves are now shut up in their caves, elves are leaving, dragons and trolls and super orcs like Azog and Bolg exist only in legend now. Galadriel can no longer walk into Barad Dur and wave her hand and wipe everyone out. By her own admission even she is diminishing.

FOTR so beautifully showcases that this is now a world of men and hobbits. A few elves remain, a few dwarves still venture from their tunnels, but not many and only for very special purposes. And seeing FOTR again really drove home how much of a "sequel" it is, even before The Hobbit trilogy was ever announced. SO many references to Bilbo this, Gollum that, Lake-town, the One Ring of the Misty Mountains, campfire trolls, Sting, mithril shirts, and so on. It now feels so right that FOTR is the "fourth" film, as it never really presented itself as the first "episode" if you will.

Now orcs are dumber, less tactically wise, and don't have great Azogs anymore. They *need* a Saruman to orchestrate and spearhead their causes. They're more grounded and man-like, but not as good as great men. It was interesting to see how Lurtz reacted to losing his arm. He just growled and skewered himself further so that he could get in Aragorn's face, a very overt act of hate and aggression but a maneuver that instantly led to his own beheading. Compared to Azog when he lost his arm and was clearly thinking "**** this is going to be a PROBLEM." Sure Lurtz was "fearless" but also dumber, a simpler orc. I kind of got the impression that Azog and Bolg represented the "glory days" or orcs and that Saruman was trying to recapture some of that magic and achieving somewhat of an approximation with the creation of his Uruk-hai.

Not once did I watch any scene and think "shoot, this is lame now because The Hobbit tainted this character or ruined this idea or whatever." Orlando Bloom was recognizably young (especially whenever he stood next to Viggo Mortensen) but otherwise I just watched good old FOTR. Its simply a great movie, the best of the series, one of the best of all movies that, now after The Hobbit trilogy, just got a little better. Not because of the difference in quality, but by a more compelling perspective that it presents in lieu of events that I now know to have taken place which set the stage for a more down to earth (if you can call it that) and mature take on Middle-Earth.

Yeah it blows away The Hobbit like it blows away pretty much everything else. But I'm not always going to be in the mood to watch that transitionary and less fantastical version of Middle-Earth. I'm gonna want me some dragons and red-headed she-elfs and for those this new trilogy can totally hold its own, even next to a film that is virtually without flaw.

Last edited:
I just watched FOTR for the first time in a couple years to see how it played while I was still buzzing on BOTFA.

Wow, wow, WOW that movie is still as good as ever. Really good. REALLY GOOD. And for BOTFA or the Hobbit trilogy in general to not match it is no insult. Fellowship of the Ring is just one special thing. Yeah, it's better than the Hobbit. But its also better than The Shawshank Redemption. And Pulp Fiction. And Jaws. And Star Wars. And The Two Towers. So while "The Hobbit" isn't "as good" a little perspective is also good.

So much of FOTR played so differently after BOTFA, and in a good way! I totally forgot that Legolas' first line of the movie is "He is no ranger, he is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and you owe him your allegiance." Really cool counterpoint to the last thing that Thranduil tells him before he exits the Hobbit trilogy.

The non-CG orcs didn't seem jarring at all. Of course they were totally awesome and appropriately done for the LOTR trilogy. But they didn't make me think for one second that the Hobbit's CG orcs were "wrong." So much of Galadriel's prologue about the world changing, things fading into myth and legend rung so much more true after being able to witness the events of the Hobbit. CG orcs totally work in a land of traveling and singing dwarves, talking spiders, groups of wizards who assist each other in battle. But FOTR makes it oh so clear that that time is virtually at an end. Dwarves are now shut up in their caves, elves are leaving, dragons and trolls and super orcs like Azog and Bolg exist only in legend now. Galadriel can no longer walk into Barad Dur and wave her hand and wipe everyone out. By her own admission even she is diminishing.

FOTR so beautifully showcases that this is now a world of men and hobbits. A few elves remain, a few dwarves still venture from their tunnels, but not many and only for very special purposes. And seeing FOTR again really drove home how much of a "sequel" it is, even before The Hobbit trilogy was ever announced. SO many references to Bilbo this, Gollum that, Lake-town, the One Ring of the Misty Mountains, campfire trolls, Sting, mithril shirts, and so on. It now feels so right that FOTR is the "fourth" film, as it never really presented itself as the first "episode" if you will.

Now orcs are dumber, less tactically wise, and don't have great Azogs anymore. They *need* a Saruman to orchestrate and spearhead their causes. They're more grounded and man-like, but not as good as great men. It was interesting to see how Lurtz reacted to losing his arm. He just growled and skewered himself further so that he could get in Aragorn's face, a very overt act of hate and aggression but a maneuver that instantly led to his own beheading. Compared to Azog when he lost his arm and was clearly thinking "**** this is going to be a PROBLEM." Sure Lurtz was "fearless" but also dumber, a simpler orc. I kind of got the impression that Azog and Bolg represented the "glory days" or orcs and that Saruman was trying to recapture some of that magic and achieving somewhat of an approximation with the creation of his Uruk-hai.

Not once did I watch any scene and think "shoot, this is lame now because The Hobbit tainted this character or ruined this idea or whatever." Orlando Bloom was recognizably young (especially whenever he stood next to Viggo Mortensen) but otherwise I just watched good old FOTR. Its simply a great movie, the best of the series, one of the best of all movies that, now after The Hobbit trilogy, just got a little better. Not because of the difference in quality, but by a more compelling perspective that it presents in lieu of events that I now know to have taken place which set the stage for a more down to earth (if you can call it that) and mature take on Middle-Earth.

Yeah it blows away The Hobbit like it blows away pretty much everything else. But I'm not always going to be in the mood to watch that transitionary and less fantastical version of Middle-Earth. I'm gonna want me some dragons and red-headed she-elfs and for those this new trilogy can totally hold its own, even next to a film that is virtually without flaw.

I could not agree more.

Back