The Dark Knight Rises *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, not at all. TDKR received a Cinemascore of A, 87% on rottentomatoes (higher than Batman Begins) and was the second highest grossing film last year. A vocal minority and their little blogs aren't going to change that.

I think a little more than 300 people saw the movie last year. I could be wrong though.

There are a lot of people who loved TDKR, a lot of people who thought it was okay but a disappointment, and a small minority who just hate it. But just as small are those who think it's one of the best films of all time. I count about 3 or 4. :lol

Anyway... So what?

There are a lot of people who loved TDKR, a lot of people who thought it was okay but a disappointment, and a small minority who just hate it. But just as small are those who think it's one of the best films of all time. I count about 3 or 4. :lol So what?

Voidcat, Zach, intothevoid.

yup, 3. :lol

There are a lot of people who loved TDKR, a lot of people who thought it was okay but a disappointment, and a small minority who just hate it. But just as small are those who think it's one of the best films of all time. I count about 3 or 4. :lol

Anyway... So what?

What about people that forgot about it and moved on? Like most of the general audience that saw it?

Voidcat, Zach, intothevoid.

yup, 3. :loli

Let's not stand on ceremony here Mistah Jyecat.

There are a lot of people who loved TDKR, a lot of people who thought it was okay but a disappointment, and a small minority who just hate it. But just as small are those who think it's one of the best films of all time. I count about 3 or 4. :lol So what?

Don't ask me ask the guy who thinks the small minority isn't a small minority. :dunno

Don't ask me ask the guy who thinks the small minority isn't a small minority. :dunno

How dare you. I never said that, I will never say that. Don't you ever say that again.

I said it was more than a handful. We're talking grown men and women here.

It's not really a small minority, though, when your overall sample is in the millions of people. The fact of the matter is that there many people out there who have issues with the film. It's not like it's just a couple dozen or something, or just fanboy bloggers. I can't speak for Difabio, but I *think* that's his point. Even though TDKR scored well and more people like it than dislike it, I'd wager it's not nearly as universally loved as some comparable movies, including the other two in its own series at this point.

I actually see more people view this one as a disappointment than hate.

I need some diagrams, statistics and a few polls to prove that a minority love or hate the film.

Give me links pls.

I know one thing is for certain, the true majority of folks that saw it probably don't even care about it anymore. It faded faster into obscurity than the Dark Knight, which went strong for years. They've moved on to Hobbits, Men of Iron and Steel, etc. etc.

Yes a handful. Which is what the minority is compared to those who thought it was really well done.

I don't know Khev, my very large office is populated with non fanatics, not attached to any series of movies, they see everything just because it's a night out, not a religion like it is for us.

Many that I know say meh for TDKR/IM3.

Where as they will comment that TDK was a masterpiece.

Last edited:
I also think we've reached a point where a film's actual reception and true place in the pantheon of pop culture shouldn't be determined for some time after its initial release. Excitement, buzz, communal and personal experience, etc... all of this stuff affects one's perception when a movie is new. And while those scores and ratings (even among critics) are honest representations... they're just snapshots of that point in time. I'd bet many movies would go down (or up) if revisited in that way a year or more later. Just look at AVATAR. The #1 movie of all time (and had people arguing, much to my amusement, that it was destined to be a cultural touchstone ala Star Wars) and now hardly anyone gives a damn about it. Ask most SW fans what they thought of TPM while walking out of the theater in May 1999 and you'd get very different answers than you do now. And I think that's even the case with TDKR, though not nearly as drastic. I'd bet good money that a fair percentage of those who loved it last Summer have come down a tad since then. But I'm just basing that on anecdotal discussions.

But, again, what does it matter? Our opinions are our opinions, whether we're in the majority or minority. Being in one or the other isn't really validation of anything. And things change. Even those opinions.

Personally, I think TDKR is the weakest of its trilogy. :dunno

BB 8/10
TDK 9/10
TDKR 7.5/10

If I'm rating the Iron Man films

IM 9/10
IM2 7.5/10
IM3 8/10

I also think we've reached a point where a film's actual reception and true place in the pantheon of pop culture shouldn't be determined for some time after its initial release. Excitement, buzz, communal and personal experience, etc... all of this stuff affects one's perception when a movie is new. And while those scores and ratings (even among critics) are honest representations... they're just snapshots of that point in time. I'd bet many movies would go down (or up) if revisited in that way a year or more later. Just look at AVATAR. The #1 movie of all time (and had people arguing, much to my amusement, that it was destined to be a cultural touchstone ala Star Wars) and now hardly anyone gives a damn about it. Ask most SW fans what they thought of TPM while walking out of the theater in May 1999 and you'd get very different answers than you do now. And I think that's even the case with TDKR, though not nearly as drastic. I'd bet good money that a fair percentage of those who loved it last Summer have come down a tad since then. But I'm just basing that on anecdotal discussions.

But, again, what does it matter? Our opinions are our opinions, whether we're in the majority or minority. Being in one or the other isn't really validation of anything. And things change. Even those opinions.

Pretty much :lecture

That brings up a good point.

What about reviewers that give a negative review at the time of release, but then later, feel positive about it? Same goes for those that feel positive and later, don't like like the film as much. Where do these people fit in the scheme of things? Or is it that, once you write out a review or a feeling, it's set in stone on the internets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back