The Dark Knight Rises *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I've warmed up to some movies just as I've soured on some over time.

This is why I can only laugh when I see things like people giving brand new releases 10/10 scores and saying it's the best or top 10 or movies of all time. There is just no viable way to reconcile and come to such a drastic conclusion immediately after walking out of the theater. Unless you're a robot.

I have a Top 100 Movies of All Time list (which I'm now reminded that I need to dig up and revisit sometime). And it's always been constantly in flux, including the Top 20 (most of which were released well before the year 2000). For instance, my Top 5 are pretty much always: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, JAWS, CASABLANCA, SEVEN SAMURAI and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA... but the 1-5 ranking of those is always re-arranging. :lol

Last edited:
That brings up a good point.

What about reviewers that give a negative review at the time of release, but then later, feel positive about it? Same goes for those that feel positive and later, don't like like the film as much. Where do these people fit in the scheme of things?

That's what I was trying to say the other day to Jaws about IM3. It all works out in the wash. I doubt the overall thought on the full will change a ton. People will move way or the other as time goes on.

Let me revisit my list.

Lets see.

Raiders, now hate it.

ESB, hates it now.

SW, crap.

Batman 89, crap.

Terminator 2, yup hates it.

Sucker Punch, freaking best evah!

There's a difference between naysaying and hate though. And liking and loving. A great spectrum of feelings there are.

See what happens when you deliver a mediocre follow up to the best superhero movie ever made, you create a thread that keeps on giving. :lol

I don't know a lot of people who hate the movie but pretending like it wasn't a disappointment to a lot of people is just silly. People feel almost the same towards TDKR as they do to IM3, the only difference is that IM3 doesn't have people still swinging from Nolan's *****.

pretending like it wasn't a disappointment to a lot of people is just silly.

Who's pretending. It doesn't matter how "many" found it disappointing. Many, many, many, MORE did not find it disappointing. The numbers don't lie, that's just the way it is. Like it or not TDKR is one of the most critically and commercially successful superhero movies of all time. An overwhelming number of non-fanboy critics recommended it and even the most critical Batfans gave it an average Cinemascore of A on opening night. So a small fraction of the over all whole were disappointed and have been very vocal about it. Big deal, you can't please everyone.

How small a fraction? How many people loved TDKR? How many hated it? How many don't care?

I'm trying but I can't find these statistics anywhere. All I continue to see is a split, groups of folks that like it and another half that don't and they all keep arguing whether it's good or not like a bunch of magpies. Here, youtube comment sections, comic book movie messagboards, IMDB, films sites, it's all the same stuff. Or does the internet not count? What if my entire theater hated it? Are they a small minority and handful? What about the people that change their minds?

So . . . how do we know? Because of a selection of 300 viewers? Surely there are more movie goers than that? Cinemascore? They gave Tyler Perry's Temptation and other an A+. How accurate is that?

There are no numbers, there are no majorities or minorities. You have people that like something, people that don't like something and people that don't give a damn. That's it. One group of opinion has no bearing on the other and they don't cancel each other out. It's just an opinion.

Last edited:
Who's pretending. It doesn't matter how "many" found it disappointing. Many, many, many, MORE did not find it disappointing. The numbers don't lie, that's just the way it is. Like it or not TDKR is one of the most critically and commercially successful superhero movies of all time. An overwhelming number of non-fanboy critics recommended it and even the most critical Batfans gave it an average Cinemascore of A on opening night. So a small fraction of the over all whole were disappointed and have been very vocal about it. Big deal, you can't please everyone.
I guess the thing I don't get about this argument is that the "small fraction" was happy with BB and TDK so it would seem to me they (of which I'm one... just found the movie bloated and pretentious) didn't set out to dislike it. Like you say, can't please everyone but wish the implication in thread after thread wasn't that popularity/box office = uncriticizable.

Edit: Well said, DiFabio.

I think more people related to Wayne than stark. My wife was even turned off by stark telling that kid don't be a ***** about it. Bruce would never have said that she said to me

That kid was being a little ***** about it.

Bruce Wayne in the last flick was pretty dull. He wasn't much of a character.

Stark, is just classically awesome. More adults need to shoot kids down.

Since no one is advocating the silly notion that "popularity/box office = uncriticizable" then why bring it up?

...It doesn't matter how "many" found it disappointing. Many, many, many, MORE did not find it disappointing. The numbers don't lie, that's just the way it is. Like it or not TDKR is one of the most critically and commercially successful superhero movies of all time... So a small fraction of the over all whole were disappointed and have been very vocal about it.
Maybe I misread your post but you seemed to be arguing that since the majority liked it and it was a huge financial success that anyone that criticized it was part of a very vocal 'can't-please-everyone fanboy' minority.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back