The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
If you have any kind of interest in special effects - either make-up effects or subtle CGI - this is the film for you. It's an interesting film also because the characters are very rich - but I found myself forgetting about the characters when I kept thinking "how'd they do that?"

Pitt is a decent actor, although I found myself wanting a more nuanced actor in the role - not every choice he made, especially as a geriatric child, worked for me. Cate was great although she didn't have as much screen time. Her old age makeup also wasn't entirely convincing.

I'd definitely recommend the film, as it's fascinating on many levels - but the story and performances were overwhelmed by the effects for me.

Can't place my finger on it, but there was just something off to Pitt's performance. Seemed just slightly distant or detached somehow. Didn't catch any fire in his eyes. Still did a good job, but....
Blanchette WAS the film for me. She was a wonder with her nuances. Can't go any further without spoilers. But I cried buckets you-know-when.
And only a coupla times did I pull away from the story to say "jeez, that makeup work/CGI is great".

One of the top 3 films this year for me.

I always thought he was better than decent - but I don't think he was up to this role - it's incredibly complex and I'm not completely convinced he pulled it off.

I like Brad Pitt but I've always thought of him as having more ambition than natural talent. I don't think that's a bad thing...certainly better than the other way around. Considering he could just make gazillions off of rom-coms I applaud the choices he makes.
Especially in regards to marriage - UPGRADE! :lol
Ironically, I'm dying to see Button and my fiancee is not interested at all.

Wish they would have had someone else play Blanchette's role
Brad is to cute to be a guy---and I am not gay!!!!

Can't place my finger on it, but there was just something off to Pitt's performance. Seemed just slightly distant or detached somehow. Didn't catch any fire in his eyes. Still did a good job, but....
Blanchette WAS the film for me. She was a wonder with her nuances. Can't go any further without spoilers. But I cried buckets you-know-when.
And only a coupla times did I pull away from the story to say "jeez, that makeup work/CGI is great".

One of the top 3 films this year for me.

Hey, I cried... Blanchette's character was very loving towards the end. Plus, this was the first movie where I actually found her very attractive.

Blanchette WAS the film for me.

I saw the film earlier today and have much of the same feelings. I haven't quite put my finger on it but Pitt's performance just didn't entirely work for me. He was good, but I felt he was overshadowed time and time again by many of the other actor's in the film, and didn't bring 'everything' needed to play the role of Benjamin Button. He's became a much better actor over the years, but I still don't consider him the right actor for roles that require more subtle emotions with eyes and body language. He may get there someday, but he wasn't there yet with this character.

The story was interesting and flowed well. There were a few instances where I thought I was watching a re-working of 'Forrest Gump' oddly enough (just lot's similarities) but the progression of the story was quite nice and touching.

CGI in the film was quite impressive at times (especially with the younger Brad Pitt sequences). Some of the older make-up effects seemed amateurish at times though unfortunately. The overall look of the film was beautiful (costumes, backgrounds, sets, etc....were marvelous).

Good film, but not one I'd ever want to see again.

i'm interested in seeing this movie when it comes out of BR. glad to hear it's a good flick.

I saw this today. It was good, but just good. It has been over-hyped in my opinion. The make-up/CGI was amazing though. I had a hard time telling where they used what exactly. That is the one thing I think this film deserves on Oscar for.

I did have one major problem with the film/aging

Spoiler Spoiler:

Erm, you do realize this is based on a book written about a man who is born old and reverses in age as he gets older? So it makes perfect sense that he should die and a baby, which is in fact who it happened in the book.

saw this today and loved it. a very beautiful and powerful movie for me. i thought brad was phenomenal. i personally think HE was the film and i wouldnt be surprised to see an oscar nom.

Erm, you do realize this is based on a book written about a man who is born old and reverses in age as he gets older? So it makes perfect sense that he should die and a baby, which is in fact who it happened in the book.

Yes I get that, but
Spoiler Spoiler:

I had to pick up the Cinefex that just came out because the effects were so fascinating to me. And it turns out there's a reason that some of us didn't connect with Pitt's performance - it wasn't all him. They did the early Benjamin with other actors as the body and they did performance capture on Pitt for the acting. So really the Benjamin from birth to appearing age 69 were all different actors and the face was done like Gollum or Yoda.

One of my main problems was with the body movement - so I can't blame Pitt for that. But I wouldn't have thought those weren't Pitt in makeup - so there was truly some groundbreaking CGI going on.

Back