The Carnotaurus Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dinosauria pieces are what I'm most excited about from everytihng on my preorder list. I am also waiting for them with bait on my breath.

Between my brother JC waiting for his Carnotaurus and me waiting for my Black Queen Comiquette, it's a very tense time right now. :lol I thoroughly enjoy the Dinosauria pieces as well. :D

Jeez, tried to post this a few hours ago but the board was down. So, late to the party as I am, I'll post my updates as of 3:00 p.m. EST this afternoon. :monkey5

-Account Charged
-Shipping Notification received

The maquette's been listed as "shipping soon" on the SS website for a few days now, but that's not exactly the best indicator. The case in point is that it lists my Darth Vader 1/6 as "shipping soon" and yet here it sits across the desk from me. :lol The UPS e-mail, though, was the truly blessed gift of the evening. :rock

Mine comes tomorrow guys! I'll try my best to post pics as soon as I get him...I can't wait to have this guy in my hands :chew

Wow, so was there was an even bigger T-Rex specimen found Scar? I thought Sue was really the only one found..

Scotty's been in excavation since 1994, but estimates place him at around 16 feet high at the hips and 45 feet long. Still the King, baby! :rock :rock :rock

Mine comes tomorrow guys! I'll try my best to post pics as soon as I get him...I can't wait to have this guy in my hands :chew

:eek Words, incoherent sounds, and emoticons can't adequately evince how envious I am. Pics when you can, my friend!

I wish every day that SS were based out of Philadelphia or NYC. :banghead:banghead:banghead Can't say as I blame them for electing to base out of CA, though.

Scotty's been in excavation since 1994, but estimates place him at around 16 feet high at the hips and 45 feet long. Still the King, baby! :rock :rock :rock

:eek Words, incoherent sounds, and emoticons can't adequately evince how envious I am. Pics when you can, my friend!

Man I can't wait till they have him fully excavated..Can you imagine if they are able to put the full skeleton together? Wow!

Oh yeah man, I'm gonna try and take pics as soon as I get him :D

Damn, I new that stuff was slow work but I had no clue that it takes 15+ years. Is this a special circumstance or does it usually take a really long time like that?

It's very rare to find a complete fossilized skeleton of any animal, so if there was a display ever mounted, it would likely be artificial (at least partially, though a friend of mine now claims there is a way to safely mount the authentic fossils without damaging them).

Also, there were carnivorous dinosaurs known to have exceeded Tyrannosaurus in size. It's his ubiquity that keeps him king, though.

800px-Largesttheropods.svg.png

The picture gives a good idea of proportion, though the more recent numbers we're getting for some individuals put T.rex right alongside even the high-end estimates for Giganotosaurus' length.

It's far from just ubiquity that, for me, makes T.rex sit head and shoulders above other large theropods. The brain case is considerably larger and more developed in every way, with vastly larger optic and olfactory lobes as well as a much more robust prefrontal region (the portion of the brain devoted to reasoning). We're all aware of T.rex having one of the largest olfactory regions in the fossil record, and how that was the main point championed by Jack Horner in his "T.rex was exclusively a scavenger" proposition, but take a good and hard look at the eyesight as well. The optic lobe is extremely large and derived, particularly compared to more ancestral optic regions in Carcharodontosaurids, and when combined with the 55 degree overlap in binocular range for the T.rex's stereoscopic vision, the result is the best eyesight for any known terrestrial animal. T.rex would have had visual acuity 13 times that of our own! To put this in perspective, even the most optically derived extant birds of prey come nowhere even close to the Tyrant Lizard King; eagles are around 4x and falcons 8x that of human vision, and these are the only non-aquatic animals alive today to reach estimates that great. In a study done by Holtz he found that this was "almost certainly" a predatory adaptation, in that a survey conducted of extant fauna concluded modern predators have much better stereoscopic vision than modern scavengers. Take all of these factors and combine them with the fact that T.rex was built to deal more thoroughly encompassing devastation in a single, bone-shattering bite designed to dispatch heavily-built prey items than any other land-based carnivore, and you have, in my personal view, the paragon of terrestrial predators. The best eyesight, smell, cranial weaponry, and an advanced capacity to reason unique among large theropods... still the king. :rock Can't wait for that maquette. :D

Last edited:
I just got a 10% coupon from Sideshow for ordering one of their Dinosauria pieces. Sweet!!

Actually got two of these coupons, one for ordering the T-Rex VS Tri Dio and another one today for the Carno maquette. :)

So as soon as I get My Carno today I'll take some pics for everybody, but be patient guys, cause it may not be till early tonight, cause UPS has a knack for saving my house for one of their last deliveries :banghead

So I should be able to put pics up no later than 8pm pacific time...I know it's a long wait, but I'm sure it will be worth it :D

Back