The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is just absurd.

For starters the movie is meant to be viewed in 3D especially since they went thru all the trouble to use 3D cameras to film it.

Sure the movie is amazing in 2D but in 3D the slow mo stuff that is so integral to the plot comes alive.

So this is where this 4K is absurd.

Since we all know there is no such thing as 4K 3D you think they would've at least included the 1080p 3D version but nope!

Then to add salt to the gaping wound they included in the special features why 3D was perfect for Dredd LOLOLOLOLOL

Sure the selling point for this is the 4K but still, include the damn 1080p 3D.

This 4K stuff is pissing me off can we just jump right into 8K.

Let me ask a 3D quesrion. When I was a kid I remember 3D being IN YOUR FACE off the screen. Like things were literally an inch from you it seemed. In the last few years I saw a Hobbit movie and Kong: Skull Island in 3D.......frankly, it sucked. Has 3D changed for the worse or something? Things don't seem to pop off the screen much anymore and the IN YOUR FACE feel is long gone. At most it feels like your looking at one of those hologram covers some DVDs used to come with where the picture changes as you spin the cover.

I saw both movies in 2 different Regal theaters. Was a little stunned that 3D in 70s and 80s seemed WAY better than today's efforts.

jye do you have a 4K setup?

Only with the 55" in my bedroom.

Not in a hurry to replace my 1080p in the living room though.

Let me ask a 3D quesrion. When I was a kid I remember 3D being IN YOUR FACE off the screen. Like things were literally an inch from you it seemed. In the last few years I saw a Hobbit movie and Kong: Skull Island in 3D.......frankly, it sucked. Has 3D changed for the worse or something? Things don't seem to pop off the screen much anymore and the IN YOUR FACE feel is long gone. At most it feels like your looking at one of those hologram covers some DVDs used to come with where the picture changes as you spin the cover.

I saw both movies in 2 different Regal theaters. Was a little stunned that 3D in 70s and 80s seemed WAY better than today's efforts.

That is an excellent post, great question and observation.

What you seek are movies actually filmed with 3D cameras or 3D animated movies, those give you the real pop out that you mentioned.

Avatar, Dredd, Step Up 3D, My Bloody Valentine, Piranha, Final Destination, How to Train your Dragon, Monsters vs Aliens, Megamind etc.

Conversions really only provide depth from the screen backwards into the image.

Winter Soldier, Jurassic Park, Avengers, Force Awakens are all excellent conversions.

Kong 3D wasn't so good.

Unfortunately the very superb Superman Returns 3D airplane rescue will never again be seen in 3D and why Beowulf animated movie never received a 3D release is also a crime.

Last edited:
Only with the 55" in my bedroom.

Not in a hurry to replace my 1080p in the living room though.

That is an excellent post, great question and observation.

What you seek are movies actually filmed with 3D cameras or 3D animated movies, those give you the real pop out that you mentioned.

Avatar, Dredd, Step Up 3D, My Bloody Valentine, Piranha 3D, Fnal Destination, How to Train your Dragon, Monsters vs Aliens, Megamind etc.

Conversions really only provide depth from the screen backwards into the image.

Winter Soldier, Jurassic Park, Avengers, Force Awakens are all excellent conversions.

Kong 3D wasn't so good.

Thanks for the answer and that makes sense. I knew there had to be some reason. It's part of the reason 3D of today holds no interest for me. Maybe I'll check out something that's actually filmed with 3D cameras at some point.

Do any 4K movies look like glasses free 3D? Some of those 4K demos they show at Best Buy are pretty eye-popping.

While I can't speak for the look of 3D, the brick-and-mortar stores always jack up their tv settings and if you wanted it done right, you would re-calibrate after you brought it home. In short, even if they do look 3D, they shouldn't.

Thanks for the answer and that makes sense. I knew there had to be some reason. It's part of the reason 3D of today holds no interest for me. Maybe I'll check out something that's actually filmed with 3D cameras at some point.

You seek Yoda, you seek Yoda.

Yeah even back in 1953 they used stereoscopic cameras (fancy word for 3D) to film the first Universal studio 3D movie, It Came from Outer Space although House of Wax by WB was released same year but before it.

It Came from Outer Space was actually just released last year on 3-D Blu-ray and it is a must own for any fan of 3D cinema.

It is awesome.

Now where is my F13th Part 3 3D with the proper 3D format!

Do any 4K movies look like glasses free 3D? Some of those 4K demos they show at Best Buy are pretty eye-popping.

Yeah it can look really sharp but still not deep enough to call it 3D, i'm guessing 8K might come closer to that effect.

4K/8K certainly provide a better clarity.

While I can't speak for the look of 3D, the brick-and-mortar stores always jack up their tv settings and if you wanted it done right, you would re-calibrate after you brought it home. In short, even if they do look 3D, they shouldn't.

True true.

It takes work and patience at home to properly calibrate the TV to achieve the same results with better more natural settings.

It Came from Outer Space was actually just released last year on 3-D Blu-ray and it is a must own for any fan of 3D cinema.

It is awesome.

Just bought it on Amazon...thanks for the tip. I love 3D. It's almost the only discs I'm buying now except for horror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah you will not be disappointed, owning it is a celebration of cinematic history.

Every October I watch back to back:

It Came Outer Space, Thing (Howard Hawkes), Day Earth Stood Still, Earth vs Flying Saucer, War of the Worlds and Forbidden Planet.

Last edited:
Zavvi announced their Ghost in the Shell steel book (orders aren't live yet).

Artwork not final, but I hope it gets approved as WWA and Best Buy gets it as well.

gits-jpg.844003

Back