The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier this month Blu-ray.com announced that French distributors Lobster Films are preparing a Blu-ray release of Georges Méliès' legendary short film Le Voyage dans la Lune a.k.a A Trip to the Moon (1902). Flicker Alley have now revealed that they are also planning to release the original hand-painted color version of the film in the United States, in a limited-edition SteelBook case.

The Blu-ray will also feature a fascinating documentary directed by Serge Bromberg and Eric Lange about the life of Georges Méliès and the magic of film history and preservation. The preliminary street date set by the studio is March 27th.

Note: The restoration project is Winner of Best Film Restoration Award (National Society of Film Critics, 2011).

36593_large.jpg

I went to best buy hoping to snag some leftover stock. None were to be had. :(

:(

After much speculation, the Criterion Collection has posted their full roster of Blu-ray releases for April 2012.

Titles include the A Hollis Frampton Odyssey short film collection, Yasujiro Ozu's Late Spring, Robert M. Young's ¡Alambrista!, Hal Ashby's Harold and Maude, and Mario Monicello's The Organizer.

Of those, Late Spring is the only previously available Criterion entry receiving a Blu-ray upgrade; the rest are new to the Criterion Collection.

Furthermore, the Frampton, Young, Ashby, and Monicelli films are making their respective debuts onto the North American Blu-ray format.

Quoted below are Criterion's release date and disc specifications for each film.

A Hollis Frampton Odyssey (April 9th, 2012) —
New high-definition digital restorations of twenty-four films:
- Manual of Arms
- Process Red
- Maxwell's Demon
- Surface Tension
- Carrots & Peas
- Lemon
- Zorns Lemma
- (nostalgia)
- Poetic Justice
- Critical Mass
- The Birth of Magellan: Cadenza I
- Pans 0–4 and 697–700
- INGENIVM NOBIS IPSA PVELLA FECIT, Part I
- Magellan: At the Gates of Death, Part I: The Red Gate I, 0
- Winter Solstice
- Gloria!
Uncompressed monaural soundtracks
Audio commentary and remarks by filmmaker Hollis Frampton on selected works
Excerpted interview with Frampton from 1978
A Lecture, a performance piece by Frampton, recorded in 1968 with the voice of artist Michael Snow
Gallery of works from Frampton's xerographic series By Any Other Name
A booklet with an introduction by film critic Ed Halter and essays and capsules on the films by Frampton scholars Ken Eisenstein, Bruce Jenkins, and Michael Zryd

Late Spring (April 17th, 2012) —
High-definition digital restoration
Uncompressed monaural soundtrack
Audio commentary by Richard Peña, program director of New York's Film Society of Lincoln Center
Tokyo-ga (1985), filmmaker Wim Wenders's ninety-two-minute documentary about director Yasujiro Ozu
A booklet featuring essays by critic Michael Atkinson and Japanese-film historian Donald Richie

Alambrista! (April 17th, 2012) —
New high-definition digital restoration
2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
New audio commentary featuring director Robert M. Young and coproducer Michael Hausman
New interview with actor Edward James Olmos
Children of the Fields, a 1973 short documentary by Young
- Accompanied by a new interview with the director
Trailer
A booklet featuring an essay by film historian Charles Ramírez-Berg

Harold and Maude (April 17th, 2012) —
Optional remastered stereo soundtrack
Audio commentary by Hal Ashby biographer Nick Dawson and producer Charles B. Mulvehill
Illustrated audio excerpts of seminars by Ashby and writer-producer Colin Higgins
New interview with songwriter Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens)
A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Wood; a 1971 New York Times profile of star Ruth Gordon; and excerpted transcripts of two interviews, one from 1997 with star Bud Cort and director of photography John Alonzo and one from 2001 with executive producer Mildred Lewis

The Organizer (April 24th, 2012) —
Introduction by director Mario Monicelli from 2006
Trailer
An essay by film critic J. Hoberman

607_BD_box_348x490.jpg

331_BD_box_348x490.jpg

609_BD_box_348x490.jpg

HM_box_BD_348x490.jpg

610_BD_box_348x490.jpg

I'd like to see them come up with another modern film to treat. There have been plenty to choose from. I'm a bit shocked Tree Of Life hasn't recieved anything. I also wouldn't mind them transfering their Robocop to blu.

Robocop has to be coming out. And Tree of Life would be a perfect choice.

Personally, I'd like to see There Will Be Blood and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford get the Criterion treatment. The current Blu-ray for Assassination is a bare-bones edition.

I'm still holding out hope that Criterion holds the Blu Ray rights to Tokyo Olympiad.

Speaking of Criterion I just bought the Blu of Branded to Kill.

Oh and IronFingaz The Gold Rush is the next Chaplin. It was hinted at in one of their newsletters.

I would like to see Criterion do some classic films like One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, and even the Godfather. I feel that Criterion does an extremely nice job, and I understand that some of these more obscure films need some attention, but I don't necessarily equate popularity with quality, and I feel that some of the more widely regarded films are just as deserving of the Criterion treatment as some of the rarer films, yet are disregarded in favor of those that are more obscure.

Back