The Apple thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my Hardcover case from Dodocase finally came in the mail a few days ago. Overall, it's a very nice minimalist case, made of some high-quality fabric.

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

^Man, that's strange. I've been browsing SSF with my iPhone and even sent a few PMs without any problems. You should probably carry it into an Apple Store and have them troubleshoot the problem for you.

Well, here's the follow up to my iPhone 5 issues. Made an appointment and took it to the Genius Bar last Friday. They opened my iPhone 5 up and ran their diagnostics on it. No software issues. No water inside (considering I had a Lifeproof case on it, I didn't think there would be). Their verdict? Hardware failure. Since I bought my iPhone 5 at launch on 9/14/12, I was out of warranty by a few weeks. Nice.

They offered to switch out my 5, erasing the data on my old 5 and giving me a new one at the cost of $250. Or I could purchase a new 5S at the unsubsidized price of $500 and change (I can't remember the exact amount I was told, I think it was like $560) or a 5C at the unsubsidized price of $300 (same deal with the 5S, I can't remember the exact price).

My other option was to go through my carrier, but since I just upgraded last year, I not eligible for an upgrade.

My saving grace may be the fact that I purchased my iPhone 5 with my American Express card, which offers an extended warranty on all purchases. I've already filed a claim and have my fingers crossed.

This is what I've got for my iPhone. It's quite expensive but really nice. A lot of people seem to ask about it when they see it.

agu6epuj.jpg

avapapyp.jpg

Here's a link there's plenty of other designs & you can even get them to customise your own one.

https://www.grovemade.com/product/iphone-5-case/#flash-bamboo-iphone-5-case

I really like these cases. I'm so use to just searching eBay for dirt cheap cases, I didn't even realize cases like this are out there. Thanks for sharing and I'm considering the shark patterned one.

I really like these cases. I'm so use to just searching eBay for dirt cheap cases, I didn't even realize cases like this are out there. Thanks for sharing and I'm considering the shark patterned one.

There really nice cases, strong & well made. Made by hand in the USA which is a nice touch to. I've had my case for over a year now & dropped it plenty & the phone & case is fine, I've been really impressed by it.

If you own a premium phone I think they deserve a premium case :)

That's a really nice case there Solidus. I like Dodo they make quality products. I own there wallet case.

pyzejyzy.jpg

Thanks! :hi5:. That's a really attractive wallet case you have there, too. I like how Dodo's products are hand-made.

Well, here's the follow up to my iPhone 5 issues. Made an appointment and took it to the Genius Bar last Friday. They opened my iPhone 5 up and ran their diagnostics on it. No software issues. No water inside (considering I had a Lifeproof case on it, I didn't think there would be). Their verdict? Hardware failure. Since I bought my iPhone 5 at launch on 9/14/12, I was out of warranty by a few weeks. Nice.

They offered to switch out my 5, erasing the data on my old 5 and giving me a new one at the cost of $250. Or I could purchase a new 5S at the unsubsidized price of $500 and change (I can't remember the exact amount I was told, I think it was like $560) or a 5C at the unsubsidized price of $300 (same deal with the 5S, I can't remember the exact price).

My other option was to go through my carrier, but since I just upgraded last year, I not eligible for an upgrade.

My saving grace may be the fact that I purchased my iPhone 5 with my American Express card, which offers an extended warranty on all purchases. I've already filed a claim and have my fingers crossed.

Oh man, that sucks :slap. I didn't know Amex offered that kind of service, though. I hope the extended warranty thing works out. Let us know what happens.

There really nice cases, strong & well made. Made by hand in the USA which is a nice touch to. I've had my case for over a year now & dropped it plenty & the phone & case is fine, I've been really impressed by it.

If you own a premium phone I think they deserve a premium case :)

:lecture

Well said. I think if you're willing to spend $600+ for a quality smartphone, then you might as well buy a good case to compliment it. Your phone will only look as good as the case that you put it in. So, if you get something that's cheaply made, then it's going to look cheap.

I love the experience that I've had with Dodocase so far. Portenzo and Pad & Quill are some other great companies, that hand-make their products in the U.S.

Anyone know of any high quality screen protectors? I'd like one and then I'm also hesitant because if I get a spec of dust under it, it would be all for not.

Anyone know of any high quality screen protectors? I'd like one and then I'm also hesitant because if I get a spec of dust under it, it would be all for not.

I think you should avoid using a screen protector. The iPhones already have scratch resistant glass, and an extra layer of film isn't really going to matter. If anything, it'll make your phone look dirty when the screen protectors become scuffed and start to peel (or when dirt gets underneath).

Instead, you should buy some iKlear and rub it routinely on the screen. It happens to be the only cleaning solution that's used in Apple stores. It also coats the screen in a polymer-based wax and protects the factory olophobic layer of the screen from rubbing off. The only thing I don't like about it, is that it makes the screen EXTREMELY slippery. So, you'll definitely need a case to keep a firm grip in your hand.

I think you should avoid using a screen protector. The iPhones already have scratch resistant glass, and an extra layer of film isn't really going to matter. If anything, it'll make your phone look dirty when the screen protectors become scuffed and start to peel (or when dirt gets underneath).

Instead, you should buy some iKlear and rub it routinely on the screen. It happens to be the only cleaning solution that's used in Apple stores. It also coats the screen in a polymer-based wax and protects the factory olophobic layer of the screen from rubbing off. The only thing I don't like about it, is that it makes the screen EXTREMELY slippery. So, you'll definitely need a case to keep a firm grip in your hand.

Thanks for the info. I checked out their website and man...way too many options. I cant figure out if one combo is different than the other.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it now. I don't see anything about it leaving a wax on it though. It actually states in a video that it does not build up on the surface.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I checked out their website and man...way too many options. I cant figure out if one combo is different than the other.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it now. I don't see anything about it leaving a wax on it though. It actually states in a video that it does not build up on the surface.

Well, I guess it's actually more of a light film than an actual wax. In the weeks that I've been using iKlear, I find that it does leave an invisible coating behind; if I blow some hot air from my mouth onto the screen, I can see the coating from the condensation.

I bought an 8oz bottle from Amazon for $13. All you need is a soft piece of microfiber cloth (or lens cloth) to wipe it off, and you're all set.

^That's just overkill, in my opinion. The touch ID is already made of sapphire crystal, which is second in hardness to diamond. So, unless you plan to rub a sharp piece of diamond onto the touch sensor, it's not going to scratch.

The iPhone glass is also scratch resistant, too. I think just some light polishing with iKlear would be more than adequate. Nothing beats the naked feel of the glass screen.

I use [ame="https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A9LVC2K/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1381951520&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165"]this case[/ame] for my 5S and I love it because it is about as minimalist as it gets, but it can be annoying when stuff gets inside. I'm sort of interested in that bamboo case. Looks really cool.

After only 3 or so weeks of having my macbook pro, I have to take it back. The caps lock is sticking which is mega annoying :(

Black clear $1.99 shipped case off ebay works fine for my 5. :wave

But then I've never dropped any of my phones....

That's the thing I hate about cases. If you're careful with your phone, then you're just putting it in something that you'll never need. I only dropped a phone once, and ironically, it was because the cheap, Chinese case from Amazon came apart in my hand, causing the phone to slip and fall onto the pavement.

I'm pretty satisfied with the Dodocase hardcover that I have right now, since it has a very minimalist design. My iPhone feels pretty secure. But, if I change my mind, I can always take it off.

^That's just overkill, in my opinion. The touch ID is already made of sapphire crystal, which is second in hardness to diamond. So, unless you plan to rub a sharp piece of diamond onto the touch sensor, it's not going to scratch.

The iPhone glass is also scratch resistant, too. I think just some light polishing with iKlear would be more than adequate. Nothing beats the naked feel of the glass screen.

Not sure what the touch ID has to do with the screen protector.

As for the iphone screen, my wife's has little micro scratches all over it. This screen protector is a piece of glass with an oleophobic coating. If I place mine side by side with my wife's phone it's a night and day difference.

Back