The Apple thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this was interesting. Apparently, Apple lied about putting a M7 co-processor into the iPhone 5s :lol. Battery removal in the 5s is also reported to be much more difficult than the 5. The iPhone 5 had a plastic pull-tab underneath the battery for easy removal, whereas the battery in the 5s is super-glued into place and requires a heat-treatment before extraction.

Also, the people who did the breakdown, described that the front glass, digitizer, and LCD appears to be a single component this time around. So, it might be best to just replace the phone all-together if the screen becomes cracked, instead of paying the cost for repair.

You guys can read more about it on the link below:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/167008-iphone-5s-teardown-on-release-day-touch-id-sensor-a7-soc-but-m7-coprocessor-is-mysteriously-missing

https://ifixit.org/5311/apples-mysterious-m7-processor-uncovered/

I don't really know how I'd review this thing right now. I moved over from a 5 just because my friend gets me these for free, but I'd be lying if I said I'd have paid more than $10 to upgrade if I had to pay. I can't tell what the bigger issues are, ios7 or the new phone. My 5 didn't seem to cause me too many problems. With the 5s I've had several random phone reboots, the battery doesn't seem to last as long and the antenna doesn't seem to be picking up as well. Those last two problems seem odd since the battery is bigger and the antenna isn't different, but I don't know enough about cell phones to know what the issues would be. I can't tell or notice any performance improvements with the faster chip and 64 bit stuff, but maybe I'm not using the right kind of apps that would make me notice. As of right now I'd say the fingerprint addition is a nice convenience and slo mo video recording is awesome.

Last edited:
:rotfl
ios7-water-proof-phone.jpg

https://ifixit.org/5311/apples-mysterious-m7-processor-uncovered/

I don't really know how I'd review this thing right now. I moved over from a 5 just because my friend gets me these for free, but I'd be lying if I said I'd have paid more than $10 to upgrade if I had to pay. I can't tell what the bigger issues are, ios7 or the new phone. My 5 didn't seem to cause me too many problems. With the 5s I've had several random phone reboots, the battery doesn't seem to last as long and the antenna doesn't seem to be picking up as well. Those last two problems seem odd since the battery is bigger and the antenna isn't different, but I don't know enough about cell phones to know what the issues would be. I can't tell or notice any performance improvements with the faster chip and 64 bit stuff, but maybe I'm not using the right kind of apps that would make me notice. As of right now I'd say the fingerprint addition is a nice convenience and slo mo video recording is awesome.

Nice find! It seems weird that they called the chip "M7", when it had a different serial number.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be getting my iPhone 5s in a few days, so I'll keep an eye out for those issues. It sounds pretty awful from what you described. I'm guessing that the 64 bit architecture is the reason for the buggy performance?

Got my iPhone 5s yesterday. So far, it's great! Way better than the LG G2X that I've been using for two years. My only complaint though, is that the finger-print scanner is nothing more than a gimmick. Even if someone steals your phone, they can avoid the fingerprint scan completely by just sliding past the screen to the password page :slap :lol

By the way, do any of you guys carry around your iPhones without a case? I'm tempted to do that. I saw a few people yesterday, sporting those huge Otterbox monstrosities, around their nice phones. I absolutely hate the look of those things.

By the way, do any of you guys carry around your iPhones without a case? I'm tempted to do that. I saw a few people yesterday, sporting those huge Otterbox monstrosities, around their nice phones. I absolutely hate the look of those things.

I've never used a case for any iPhone. You're paying a premium for a great design, why cover it up?

I use one of these leather sleeves for my iPhone 4S. It protects it well enough in my pocket and when I put it on the desk/counter and it's not bulky either.

senablack.jpg

^That looks nice. I guess I might get a sleeve, just to protect it from getting scratched in my pocket or on hard surfaces.

I have a case that has some leather and imitation wood on it, I prefer to keep it scratch free because iPhones keep their value unless there's scratches on it.

My Sammy is in an Otterbox, it's awesome.
Keeps the phone looking brand new and the commuter isn't bulky. Don't know if they do similar for fruit?
iPhone is a fashion statment so why cover it up plus if you drop it that screen will crack whatever it's in :wink1:

I buy spigen products almost exclusively for all my phones. There isn't even a close second when it comes to screen protectors and they've got a case for every need. The tough armor case beats the **** out of any otterbox if that's your thing.

www.sgpstore.com

Back