The Anatomy of a Pose - A Central Hub for Tips and Tricks to Better Your Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hela.jpg

Just opened this figure, thought I'd have a go at posing. For my female figures, I think the whole "hip thrust" thing can really give them a more realistic looking stance. To get this I bend the right leg inward at the hip, then bend the left left out at the hip. (Knees are both straight in this figure.) Then I bend the body to the right in the mid section of her torso to get it to line up with the right leg.

This is about the maximum hip thrust that I go for. The more hip, the more attitude, which I felt was appropriate for Hela, but wouldn't be quite as appropriate for others. So, um, thrust with moderation.

Next, I always try to bend the elbows at least a little bit, as rarely does anyone have their arms at full extension. Be sure to rotate your arms so that the bend points in a direction that they would in real life.

Also, use those wrist pegs. They bend for a reason. In the above, her wrists are bent to point downwards slightly more than her arms, as would be natural to someone holding a sword. Blades are tilted slightly back, as they would naturally. Keep your blades (or guns, etc.) in line with your figure's palms.

Lastly, if you can, try to adjust the ankle pegs so that the feet appear natural. For Hela, you can see that I haven't done that yet. It's harder with a figure wearing boots, but you should try to angle the foot at the ankle so that it sits flat on the ground, instead of like how Hela's left foot is in the picture.

View attachment 456935

Just opened this figure, thought I'd have a go at posing. For my female figures, I think the whole "hip thrust" thing can really give them a more realistic looking stance. To get this I bend the right leg inward at the hip, then bend the left left out at the hip. (Knees are both straight in this figure.) Then I bend the body to the right in the mid section of her torso to get it to line up with the right leg.

This is about the maximum hip thrust that I go for. The more hip, the more attitude, which I felt was appropriate for Hela, but wouldn't be quite as appropriate for others. So, um, thrust with moderation.

Next, I always try to bend the elbows at least a little bit, as rarely does anyone have their arms at full extension. Be sure to rotate your arms so that the bend points in a direction that they would in real life.

Also, use those wrist pegs. They bend for a reason. In the above, her wrists are bent to point downwards slightly more than her arms, as would be natural to someone holding a sword. Blades are tilted slightly back, as they would naturally. Keep your blades (or guns, etc.) in line with your figure's palms.

Lastly, if you can, try to adjust the ankle pegs so that the feet appear natural. For Hela, you can see that I haven't done that yet. It's harder with a figure wearing boots, but you should try to angle the foot at the ankle so that it sits flat on the ground, instead of like how Hela's left foot is in the picture.

Simple but elegant. Bravo!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Dioramaker, great idea for a thread. It bugs me to no end when I see 1/6 figures in rigor mortis. I always look at contrapposto for inspiration, and I actually love museum poses! But that doesn't mean they have to look like they have a stick up their butts, here are some of my poses:

33386367788_6de43b65c2_z.jpg

46549154642_6a91dbba53_z.jpg

48046851413_cf091a9fc4_z.jpg

48046863118_f70502b728_z.jpg

48046812326_1d04770edd_z.jpg

48046896352_9ee8b5bb99_z.jpg

48046811811_1b65e6dbe4_z.jpg

Dioramaker, great idea for a thread. It bugs me to no end when I see 1/6 figures in rigor mortis. I always look at contrapposto for inspiration, and I actually love museum poses! But that doesn't mean they have to look like they have a stick up their butts, here are some of my poses:
Haha that's a perfect term - figures in rigor mortis. I'm adopting that! Great poses by the way! I love the T2 one. I wish so badly for a chance to get a fair priced BD T2 T-800.

Few pics of a recent acquisition, loved posing this one!

93d049303f05cf09eba08984fe807f4d.jpg
80202ea9eda46df51934a4f2354bbb59.jpg

Really love those poses FlyandFlight! Those more naturalistic ones can be really hard to pull off.

Here's a few more of mine. The female figures I always find the most challenging, as it's a struggle to find those poses that are sexy and feminine, but not in a way that's too cheesy and over the top.

20180517_194153 (2).jpg

20180127_200545 (2).jpg

20180901_125516.jpg

20180606_190238 (2).jpg

Really love those poses FlyandFlight! Those more naturalistic ones can be really hard to pull off.

Here's a few more of mine. The female figures I always find the most challenging, as it's a struggle to find those poses that are sexy and feminine, but not in a way that's too cheesy and over the top.

Wow those poses and photos are great! Are any of those repainted? I have all those figures and yours look so much better than mine lol! Some really nice subtle posing going on there.

Thanks. I touched up the paint on Jyn a bit, but the others are all stock.

Have you altered any other of your QMX TOS Star Trek figures for enhanced posing? If yes, could you show us here.

Your McCoy is a work of genius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you altered any other of your QMX TOS Star Trek figures for enhanced posing? If yes, could you show us here.

Your McCoy is a work of genius

Thanks. I've modded all of them so far, but don't really have any great pics at the moment.

For Kirk I buffed up his upper body and made the toupee a bit blonder, Spock was put on a slimmer body and I touched up the paint a bit, and Khan had the fat suit removed.

IMG_20190612_092520.jpg

20180804_114645 (562x900).jpg

IMG_20190612_091553.jpg

Thanks, davejames!

You've managed to capture each of the females doing "their thing". The essence of the characters are captured perfectly.

Thanks. I've modded all of them so far, but don't really have any great pics at the moment.

For Kirk I buffed up his upper body and made the toupee a bit blonder, Spock was put on a slimmer body and I touched up the paint a bit, and Khan had the fat suit removed.

View attachment 457085

View attachment 457086

View attachment 457087

Good Lord, they look incredible.

Do you remember what body that you used on Spock? And if you don’t remember, would you mind taking a peek, I’m sure a lot of us would like to know [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Yikes. No I meant the newer version they released. I wouldn't go anywhere near those older Sideshow bodies.

Sorry to be a pain in the you know what, but I don’t really follow the Freddy Krueger lines, could you post a photo of the proper figure, the box or whatever

Have to try to get my figures to look half as good as yours [emoji1303]

Back