The "All things TERMINATOR" thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you probably hit the nail on the head about how trying to emulate the first one would almost certainly lead Cameron to recognizing that he'd end up being forced into nothing more than an inferior version as the end result.

Making a sequel with the same tone, mood, and structure of the first would produce something obviously derivative by nature, so then could only differentiate itself in small ways. Using the relationship between Uncle Bob and John the way he did in T2 was one part of the larger shift in genre. More generally, going to action-oriented thrill ride, it allowed expansion of the intimate man-versus-beast horror aspect from T1 into a bigger and more elaborate storytelling landscape with a very different visceral experience.

He already had the template and proof of concept from having done the same thing with his sequel to Alien. A successful genre shift where he took Ridley Scott's grittier and more focused horror-driven story and shifted some of its structural features into an expanded action-driven premise with more character interactions, emotion-driven themes, and spectacle. Bigger, louder, more fast-paced, and more "heart."

When Aliens entertained the way it did without being held down by restrictions of fidelity to tone and genre, Cameron probably felt confident that he could do the same with T2. He not only carried over the same general approach, but also specific beats like using a kid to provide a different emotional dynamic. Both sequels allowed for an entertaining follow-up without the trappings of too much derivative fidelity to the original premise.
Truly an epic post!

Poor Alien and T1 both will forever be known as inferior products to Aliens and T2 lol

Last edited:
I feel like so much of some people's negative takeaway on the cheese factor of T2 derives from a somewhat literal interpretation of the line - ''I know now why you cry. But it's something I can never do'' - I've said this before but I've never taken that line to mean that the T-800 is saying ''I'd totally be crying right now if my tear ducts functioned that way''. I've only ever interpreted it as him saying ''I understand more now the circumstances in which humans feel sadness. However I remain incapable of sharing your feelings. Tell you what though, here's a hug and a thumbs up because I know those are meaningful gestures to you''

Bottom line I think he's humouring John there.

However, my interpretation might have trouble being reconciled with the T-800's seeming earnestness that Skynet ''must be destroyed''. Although initially expressing reluctance due to the risk of encountering the T-1000 (as he did on the matter of rescuing Sarah from Pescadero) he does seem to embrace the new objective of taking pre-emptive action against Skynet. Does he see it merely as an extension of his mission to protect John or is there something more going on there?

One way or another though, you must admit T2 generates more questions and scope for discussion than T1 does.
Great post!

That last sentence though lol

Last edited:
I feel like so much of some people's negative takeaway on the cheese factor of T2 derives from a somewhat literal interpretation of the line - ''I know now why you cry. But it's something I can never do'' - I've said this before but I've never taken that line to mean that the T-800 is saying ''I'd totally be crying right now if my tear ducts functioned that way''. I've only ever interpreted it as him saying ''I understand more now the circumstances in which humans feel sadness. However I remain incapable of sharing your feelings. Tell you what though, here's a hug and a thumbs up because I know those are meaningful gestures to you''

Bottom line I think he's humouring John there.

However, my interpretation might have trouble being reconciled with the T-800's seeming earnestness that Skynet ''must be destroyed''. Although initially expressing reluctance due to the risk of encountering the T-1000 (as he did on the matter of rescuing Sarah from Pescadero) he does seem to embrace the new objective of taking pre-emptive action against Skynet. Does he see it merely as an extension of his mission to protect John or is there something more going on there?

One way or another though, you must admit T2 generates more questions and scope for discussion than T1 does.
I always come down hard on T2 but it is a solid 7/10 film for me.

I just got going again because my son was less than impressed.

Arnold is great in it as is Robert Patrick.

My biggest complaint has always been that it’s basically a less than impressive remake of the first film. But I still enjoy it when I watch it.

T1 and T2 for me are the same basic story made as two different genres and budgets. One is a gritty, low budget near-horror movie, the other the same story remade as a big budget, gleaming sci-fi action movie. I don't really love T2 because I saw so much of it from the inside (there are certain shots where I think "I was standing right behind that corner when that was filmed...") so that does kinda ruin the illusion.

1627606073084.gif

a-dev any suggestions on how I can keep the grenade rifle on his left shoulder with it not constantly sliding off because of the grenade belt. :gah:

The NECA cyberdyne.

a-dev any suggestions on how I can keep the grenade rifle on his left shoulder with it not constantly sliding off because of the grenade belt. :gah:

The NECA cyberdyne.
Yeah that can be annoying. I may have used a dot of glue with some of my figures that I never intend to display in any other way. With Hot Toys I've used twisty ties wrapped around the bandolier and the M79 strap.

Random thought - in the payphone scene in Terminator 2 when the T-800 calls Max the dog ''Wolfie'' instead and the T-1000 answers ''Wofie's fine honey'' - not necessarily the giveaway that it's intended to be. I call my dogs by all sorts of different names and variations on their actual given names. Plus, the T-800 says ''What's wrong with Wolfie...I can hear him barking'' - so the T-1000 obviously now knows what he's referring to and responds as he does. He should have plausible deniability on that particular matter :lol

Also, the T-800 got that dog killed. Bastard!

Last edited:
a-dev, I like to think of it as the dog saved their lives, willingly sacrificing himself with the warning barks to save John and the future. Its also probably the real reason why the T-800 understands crying / sadness at the end, only as he must sacrifice himself does he understand the importance of the dog's actions.

Also the dog was clearing barking 'muthabarker, that robot man just killed my humans, human John don't come home!'. If only skynet had programmed the T-800 to speak dog then he would have understood the warning and would not have needed to do the Wolfie trick. It all comes back to evil Skynet.

Random thought - in the payphone scene in Terminator 2 when the T-800 calls Max the dog ''Wolfie'' instead and the T-1000 answers ''Wofie's fine honey'' - not necessarily the giveaway that it's intended to be. I call my dogs by all sorts of different names and variations on their actual given names. Plus, the T-800 says ''What's wrong with Wolfie...I can hear him barking'' - so the T-1000 obviously now knows what he's referring to and responds as he does. He should have plausible deniability on that particular matter :lol

That could’ve been a terminator dog sent back to protect John.

That could’ve been a terminator dog sent back to protect John.
I think you correct, but when was this protector dog sent back in time? Perhaps Max was the first time traveller to see whether the process worked, maybe he went back just before Reese. Man I really need to see the future war movie now starring Max the first time traveller.

a-dev and AJP will need to adjust their time travelling theories for failing to account for time traveller 0, Max.

I don't know, unless "Wolfie" was a pre-established nickname that the T-800 accidentally guessed correctly (which John would have no doubt called out) I can't imagine either of my parents just playing along with me as a kid referring to our family dog (Duke) by a completely different name out of the blue. I mean I'm actually cracking up picturing myself at home as a kid and hearing Duke barking in the backyard and then asking my mom or dad "what's up with Wolfie?" and either of them responding in any manner other than "huh? Wolfie?"

;)

Last edited:
Random thought - in the payphone scene in Terminator 2 when the T-800 calls Max the dog ''Wolfie'' instead and the T-1000 answers ''Wofie's fine honey'' - not necessarily the giveaway that it's intended to be. I call my dogs by all sorts of different names and variations on their actual given names.

That's because you're weird. :lol Most people call their dog by the same name.

Having said that, if you were John Connor in that situation, and you had many names for your dog, then you would have told the T 800, "I call my dog different names. " He would then ask, "Why?" and you'd be like, "I just do, ok!" at which point, the T-800 would not be able to determine the fate of your foster parents because his little Wolfie trap won't mean jack ****. Thankfully, you don't like your foster parents anyway, especially Todd, so you won't care if they're dead....or alive.

Only in the director cut.

Wolfie was my favorite character. I wish they'd done more with him. 😔

Last edited:
T1: Sci-Fi/Horror T2: Sci-Fi/Action.

How do I feel about T2... if interested read this: Ten Reasons ‘Terminator 2: Judgment Day’ Just Ticks Me Off

Everything after T2, pure crap. I did like some of the props used. Marcus and Grace were cool concepts and could have had their own movies/stories. Marcus as the final prototype to test out if the Infiltrator T-800 concept would work (you need a limited biological systems to have living tissue and healing abilities, which means they need to eat & drink). Grace as an enhanced human. Interesting idea, like an internal "Iron Man".

Back