Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990 Film Version) Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure about you guys but one of my favorite movies as a kid was the original teenage mutant ninja turtles. I think the jim henson costumes used in the movie were absolutely amazing and was curious if there was interest in getting a project together to finally make figures based off their likeness. To be honest I'm kind of shocked they haven't been done before. There is so much incredible talent in this community and I hope there is interest to make this project come to life! I've only seen one figure based off the original costumes and it was amazing (see below). However, I feel like the artists in this community could make something even better.

500x1000px-LL-f940cc41_Raphael_08.jpeg

MV5BMTM4MjI2NzMyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM0MTY0NA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

tumblr_matakclJhD1rw2uyvo4_500.jpg

A Shredder would also be AMAZING.

TMNT_MOVIE+1_SHREDDER_5.jpg

I've had this on my to do list for a while, and I was hesitant to show it because I thought there were other members tackling the 90 turtles, but here's my WIP...

ae12b53c02904aef48f337ff2c440ffa_zpsec826180.jpg

I've had this on my to do list for a while, and I was hesitant to show it because I thought there were other members tackling the 90 turtles, but here's my WIP...

ae12b53c02904aef48f337ff2c440ffa_zpsec826180.jpg

Wow, nice Caine. I would be interested in a Leonardo.

Awesome Caine! What turtle are you currently working on? As I'm sure you know they each have a unique look haha. Do you know which other members are working on 90s turtles?

That looks pretty cool!!! Like to see the progress on this.

Thanks :) ill definitely post pics as I get it finished up.

Wow, nice Caine. I would be interested in a Leonardo.

Awesome Caine! What turtle are you currently working on? As I'm sure you know they each have a unique look haha. Do you know which other members are working on 90s turtles?

Oh yea, they're so different in so many ways. It always bothers me when I see toys or masks where the same sculpt is used with different colored bandannas. This will eventually be mikey :)

This is looking awesome caine. Really looking forward to seeing this complete and all painted up. Will look incredible!!!

I'm currently working on some sculpts, but they are far behind Caine's effort. It's a cool approach to use a body as a base for the sculpt. Wish I had thought of that before getting as far as I have. My first guess would have been Mikey too, because of the rounder head and the grooves in the bandana.

This is my current progress - basically finished the base figure and went on to building up the suit details.
j0yERq0.jpg

I have worked on these on and off for the past many years, slowly working my way up to this point, making a huge step forward just recently from just the basic headless bodies to molding the sculpted inner skull head, lower jaw and shell from this Mikey figure and cast them onto the other three figures. On the real costumes, the inner skull were basically the same and only the mechanics and outside skin was different. There were two styles of shell used - Donatello and Raphael share the same design with two large hexagonal shapes in the center and a narrow outer border, and much rougher age lines, whereas Leonardo and Michaelangelo share the design with 3 small hexagonal shapes and a broad outer border and smooth age lines and rings. This of course made a little extra work as I had carved the rough version into the sculpted shell, so had to fill those lines and carve the smooth shell version for two of the casts. Initially I thought I had accidentally made the shells too big for the figures - they may still be a tiny bit too big - but a little repositioning on where I placed it on the body made a huge difference.

There are also things like that to note on the weapons - for instance, Mikey's nunchaku handles are octagonal shaped and it appears that Donatello's bo is the same. Things to look out for when sculpting these.

Back