Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60303653669182968835613.jpg

60177753668938968860089.jpg

54391253669179968835915.jpg

54181653669179302169390.jpg

42413353669060635514576.jpg

39760853669181302169143.jpg

58215536691796355026653.jpg

19395536689393021933900.jpg

WOW! Beautiful pics - thanks for sharing with us!! :clap :hi5: :rock

He looks amazing! Very high end indeed!

Cool box. Nice simply designed inserts & tray - everything has space.. not that he comes with much. :lol

The stand is ugly though..

Damn... that is pretty good looking. Wonder if they'll be offering a weathered version... this one is kind of odd in that it seems too shiny for normal C-3PO, but not quite shiny enough for the final ceremony in ANH :huh

It's even more funny that the box design features weathered gold/brass all over, but the product inside is pristine.

Looks nice though. I'd be fine with the finish if it was half the price--I'd buy it no question.

Really like the finish, personally, and seems easier to weather a figure, if that's your preference, than to de-weather (plus weathering a shiny fig like 3PO also seems a convenient way of masking production flaws *coughs* Sideshow). Finish looks to me like it's much smoother, too, than the proto.

For the last few months I was pretty sure I'd pass on 3PO but seeing that it scales really well and how nicely it turned out, think I may just flex it so that I can lessen the blow psychologically over 5 months. Just would rather have one incredibly quality figure that 3 or so OK-good ones. Agree with those that would've liked a happy medium of all the same detail but in plastic (for less $). Of all the pluses with this release, it being made of metal matters least to me and probably did the most to drive up the cost. I'm sure in-hand I'll like the weight, but for display purposes it's meh. Also, hate that stand.

Beautiful! They did finish the polish a bit better than the proto.

Someone has to have familiarity with weathering a Chogokin, somewhere. It's just going to comedown to what will and won't damage the finish.

I'm already working on a little dio for this one. It deserves it.

Having a hard time rationing how this figure is worth $400? Does anyone have any explanation for this insainly high price point? It looks good and all, but being made of metal, having light up features, and real wire just doesn't equal $400 to me. Maybe I am missing something. Also have they stated that R2 is deffinately going to be made? It would be a shame to buy C3PO and have R2 canceled.

im having problems rationing the cost too. but i really like the figure. sucks.

I think the reason it's $400 is that's what they think they can get out of fans. I would not pay over $300; and think $250 is really a more appropriate price.

What if nobody ever again makes an accurate metal C3PO figure, or at least not for another decade? They are probably banking that the limited quantity would sell to those who really wanted an accurate portrayal, in metal.

The issue is that it doesn't need to be made out of metal... it's certainly a cool idea, but sitting on a shelf no one will really care if the item is metal or vacu-formed plastic... and usually the pastic holds up better.

I predict a steep value drop after this is released, like Medicom the retail price is just too damn high for most people to pay. And those that do may end up regretting it and selling at a loss.

What if nobody ever again makes an accurate metal C3PO figure, or at least not for another decade? They are probably banking that the limited quantity would sell to those who really wanted an accurate portrayal, in metal.
Yeah, that's the dilemma. On the one hand, $400.00 is steep but I also can't see anyone else releasing a 3PO with the same detail in plastic anytime in the near future. On the other hand, it is sort of relative, too. When I think about how much of what I spend is on consumables (just spent $360.00 tax on a couple 'free' Airmiles plane tickets for a long weekend away for wife's birthday, for example), $400.00 for the best 1:6 representation of a SW icon doesn't seem quite as horrific. I'm thinking in a few years I won't even think about the price but just be happy I have this representation in my collection.

The issue is that it doesn't need to be made out of metal... it's certainly a cool idea, but sitting on a shelf no one will really care if the item is metal or vacu-formed plastic... and usually the pastic holds up better.

I predict a steep value drop after this is released, like Medicom the retail price is just too damn high for most people to pay. And those that do may end up regretting it and selling at a loss.
I see your point, but that's your issue. I prefer mine to be made of metal.:wink1: Although you do raise a good point, that impacts me, about it's shelf life and potential cost. They only have 70 left. Is that a lot?

I'm a new collector, the only figures I have are Sandtroopers and Jawa's. So when people enter my home the first thing they see are my display's and figures. I would prefer that someone who is not a collector see an actual metal C3PO, I think that would be cool. I'm working on a diorama for it now, with lights and something pretty substantial. A heavy metal C3PO seems just right for that sort of display.

Yeah, that's the dilemma. On the one hand, $400.00 is steep but I also can't see anyone else releasing a 3PO with the same detail in plastic anytime in the near future. On the other hand, it is sort of relative, too. When I think about how much of what I spend is on consumables (just spent $360.00 tax on a couple 'free' Airmiles plane tickets for a long weekend away for wife's birthday, for example), $400.00 for the best 1:6 representation of a SW icon doesn't seem quite as horrific. I'm thinking in a few years I won't even think about the price but just be happy I have this representation in my collection.
BIIIIIIIINGOOOOO! I just bought a ticket to L.A. for 380.00, one way. My ultimate destination is El Salvador, another $600.00+ for travel. Granted, it's a week with my buddies surfing some great waves (hopefully), but that one way ticket to L.A. means nothing and cost just as much. For the same amount I just added to my addiction....

Me love 3PO long time.....

Last edited:

That was awesome. Starting at the top of the thread, I thought it was cool we finally got to see a product pic of the box - I didn't expect to see any pics of the actual figure. Then scrolling down it was almost like stimulus overload :lol TFS.

The price. Obviously with stores like amiami and evidently others offing this at well under $350 there's a hefty mark-up there. But to compare like with like, Medicom's C-3PO is pushing $250 on SSC. The articulation on Tamashii's is substantially more sophisticated and the component detailing is substantially more sophisticated. Any additional material cost of course would also drive up the cost.

Whether or not it's worth $400 as a collectible is up to the individual, but it's really not hard to see how where the money is going.

I notice there isn't much of a "sheen" in the finish with those in-hand pics. I believe they improved the paint or it could just be the lighting in that room.

I like it.

Now, I wish I knew what R2 looked like.
I can't have one without the other, so I hope they improved on his scale (needs to be larger) and his dome (needs to have less mirror-finish).

Back