Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the ones I've seen were too small. This one is 16x16x16. I love it!
You get a white background too.
20180214_214012.jpg

I know. This isn't the droids.

Looks great. Which lightbox set-up did you buy? there seems to be a ton on ebay but most seem pretty flimsy.

Looks great. Which lightbox set-up did you buy? there seems to be a ton on ebay but most seem pretty flimsy.

This one does fold up & fits in a case. It was interesting unfolding it the first time.
20180214_173337.jpg

It took a moment to keep it to stay open, at first. But now, that's no issue. I've been wanting one for a while now, but they've all been too small. This one is 16x16x16. I can put some helmets in it. This is a no name one (at least I don't see any "name" on it). You can find them everywhere, EBay, Amazon, Wish... wherever.

Great shots DarthRusty.

I made a DIY photobox myself which I primarily use for shooting my diecast cars and other toys. I used plastic corrugated board for the walling and top cover and felt paper for the background. The felt absorbs excessive lighting and glares while the plastic board filters excess light. It also softens the shadows. The box is also foldable and can be easily hidden.

Here are a few shots I took last year using my photobox.

Sorry for the off topic...

Wish I could have bit when Amazon had it for $225 or so but money is tight right now with Leia and Tarkin on the way and just picked up Star-Lord. Still can’t decide if I like this one better than the Hot Toys R2.

Wish I could have bit when Amazon had it for $225 or so but money is tight right now with Leia and Tarkin on the way and just picked up Star-Lord. Still can’t decide if I like this one better than the Hot Toys R2.

I stuck a pin in the whole new-R2 thing after seeing the HT R2 in a LCS. It was nice, but just wasn't blown away by it. The rivets on this one bothers me like everyone, but overall both the HT and Tama seem a little on the small side (just a touch larger than the too-small SSC one) when I was expecting they'd be noticeably bigger than previous efforts. So that with the price has kept me away, but if I could find it for a full notch below $200 I'd probably bite.

I think the size is still noticeably better though. I still have the black Sideshow R5 droid and that does seem a bit slight by comparison, the feet, body are all clearly bigger on the HT and Tama but I agree it’s not a huge difference. I like the HT best but it’s kinda boring since it has no arms.

I think the size is still noticeably better though. I still have the black Sideshow R5 droid and that does seem a bit slight by comparison, the feet, body are all clearly bigger on the HT and Tama but I agree it’s not a huge difference. I like the HT best but it’s kinda boring since it has no arms.

I was really wanting an R2 that has that fat barrel look and taller-than-3PO's-belly-button height - the way he looks onscreen in ANH. Unfortunately it's just that Japanese clock from a few years ago that seems to have that girth/height. It's a really frustrating thing.

And had Sideshow's R2 sculpt been larger, I would have bought R5 and the Imperial droids.

I was really wanting an R2 that has that fat barrel look and taller-than-3PO's-belly-button height - the way he looks onscreen in ANH. Unfortunately it's just that Japanese clock from a few years ago that seems to have that girth/height. It's a really frustrating thing.

And had Sideshow's R2 sculpt been larger, I would have bought R5 and the Imperial droids.

I had the black R2 droid but didn't like that it had noticeably different dome details (like the size of the main eye/light) compared to Hot Toys R2. At least with the R5 droid the dome is completely different and it's just the bodies, those are similar enough especially since I have them on different shelves. But yeah, I don't think there's been a perfect R2 droid by any means.

An OT Hot Toys one might be pretty close to if they offer everything Sideshow had in terms of the arms, periscope, life sensor, drink tray, but with better functionality, better weathering, and the metal dome. But that's still a big if. I wish I could have waited until that iteration but I bought the TFA R2 and then it became hard to justify keeping the Sideshow version.

Great work. I'm always amazed at how the lighting from these 1/6 sets makes the likeness on reflective figs like 3PO, R2 and Vader really pop. The lighting really was part of their look onscreen.

Back