Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like only the lower half and not the dome will be die cast which is a little disappointing...but overall it still looks great!

Well, that's a strange choice. The only part that is exposed metal, the one part most people would want to be metal... isn't metal.:(

The Tama dome looks more accurate than the HT dome, but it's plastic. Bummer.

And I guess we continue to wonder - will the rivets be on the final prod piece or not?

That's not right. If that's the case he will be 6.88 inches. He should be at least 7" to 7 1/16". Which would make him 179.38mm.

Excited for this one, have the SS R2-D2 and it's decent but it lacks the heft and the feel of quality the chogokin threepio has... was considering the HT r2, not anymore...

I also have the Sideshow R2 and I'm happy with it. But there’s something very luscious about that enamel paint job on Tama’s R2! The dome being plastic is puzzling, especially since that’s the part HT is making die cast. What are the chances you can Frankenstein HT’s dome on Tama’s? ;)

Excited for this one, have the SS R2-D2 and it's decent but it lacks the heft and the feel of quality the chogokin threepio has... was considering the HT r2, not anymore...

Not singling you out, but many collectors use that analogy. I just don't get it. Yeah feeling the weight is cool and all but does anyone actually run around playing with their figures? I mean, don't most of us put them in a display and then just admire them and occasionally reposition them? Quality in design and execution is quality regardless of material. Making it metal has nothing to do with quality, but it sure does make it more expensive. I just want the best looking/most accurate R2. You can actually get much better and finer detail with plastic. And paint can pretty easily chip and peel off on metal. Never seen chips of paint flaking off plastic. And because of the metal, the Tama 3PO has problems too. Never seen one in person, but from pictures the pistons are just too big. And I know people like the real wires in his midsection, but the 3PO screen costume did not have real floating wires. So that comes down to do you want a real world robot 3PO, or a movie screen accurate 3PO. And not to poke again (at anyone who agree with metal is better), but very few collectors of statues compare the weight of one to the other in terms of build quality.

So far I too am happy with my Sideshow droid pair. I look forward to all 3 (SS, HT & this) being compared in pics before deciding if I need to replace my SS R2, or repurpose him. And nothing will compare to the amount of accessories SS gave R2 giving him so many possibilities. For me, the coolest attribute to this is that Tama is the 1st to give him the grey hoses underneath for when Kenny Baker was inside.. To me that's just too cool. Although Bandai is also including those in their 6" S.H. Figuarts R2. I'll at least have that version. And I also prefer the weathered look to the droids than the pristine shiny look. Some of the custom weathered Tama 3PO's posted here on the forums look amazing!!

Eh, to each his own, but taking price out of the equation and the Sideshow 3PO is no match for the Tama, IMO. Head to head it crushes it, literally.

The metal makes it look like a real droid, can't say the same for either SS droid.

Eh, to each his own, but taking price out of the equation and the Sideshow 3PO is no match for the Tama, IMO. Head to head it crushes it, literally.

The metal makes it look like a real droid, can't say the same for either SS droid.

I'm more curious how this will look next to the HT R2. Like I said with the SS, I could just throw the tray on him and stick him with my SS Jabba and throne. The premuim format SS R2 isn't much better than the little guy. Same with 3PO. The SS 3PO definitely has issues. But not because it's plastic. It's those damn hands that kill me, and some little details here and there. But like I said I do prefer the muted gold and weathering than shiny metalic.. SS really gave the finger to the fans on that screw up. Not acknowledging the mistake, changing the pictures on their site, and then saying it was meant to be that way.... That was laughable. But for me it serves it's purpose. For now. Even when the Tama was selling for as low as mid $200's at one point I still wasn't sold. I'm hoping HT does a classic OT 3PO that wows us all...

The biggest gripe I have is it's a shame there's nowhere to go to see all these in person anymore.... :( The glory days back in the 90's when their were comic stores everywhere, and the WB stores.... The internet changed collecting. Now you have to go by pictures and order things years in advance in hopes they turn out Ok..

The biggest gripe I have is it's a shame there's nowhere to go to see all these in person anymore.... :( The glory days back in the 90's when their were comic stores everywhere, and the WB stores.... The internet changed collecting. Now you have to go by pictures and order things years in advance in hopes they turn out Ok..

The Chogkin Artoo and Threepio will be on display at Star Wars Celebration in Orlando and at the Tamashii 10th Anniversary World Tour in New York City later that month. Come check them out and you may see a few other surprises! ;)

Couldn't agree more with this statement.

175 mm tall?

The possibility that this, the HT R2 and the SSC R2 could all be undersized majorly s*cks.

If that's the case, I'm to take one of my Taitos and turn it into a fully detailed and finished R2 figure.

The SSC R2 is a terrific figure, but it's something like 15% too small in every way, and I frequently notice it in the display. Metal dome or not, the scale thing is really important to me, so if Tama and HT deliver yet another gorgeously finished but too-small R2, I'm not buying.

August release at a price of 30,000yen

12”PM 超合金×12 Perfect Model R2-D2(A NEW HOPE)

ダイキャストボディで相棒登場!

『スター・ウォーズ』の超合金シリーズ再始動! C-3POの相棒が遂に登場!

再会
全高約176mm、重量約1kg超。
R2-D2 超合金で登場。

・電飾
8個のLEDを使用し、劇中の頭部点灯演出を揺らめきのレベルまで再現。

・展開
各部ハッチの開閉に加えアームの展開が可能。

・変形
3脚状態から2脚状態への変形が可能。
さらに2脚状態では演者の脚が入っていたパーツを装着可能。

・ダイキャスト
本体構成のほとんどをダイキャストで作成。
総重量1kgを超える重量感。

■商品仕様
全高:約176mm
材質:ABS、ダイキャスト、PVC

■セット内容
・本体
・2脚時用カバー
・専用台座
・ドロイドコントロールボルト

b170818.jpg

b170819.jpg

b170820-1.jpg

b170821-1.jpg

b170822.jpg

Translates to $270 or €250. Not too bad considering competition prices on the market unless local retail have this inflated by 20%

Back